• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Notable "comic" art sales
3 3

35 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 9:48 AM, Captain Calamity said:

How about the Frank Frazetta cover to Weird Science-Fantasy #29 which was sold privately by the Frazetta family to Jim Halperin for $380K in 2010?

As per the HA press release (dated 6-8-2010; available on their website), the WSF29 sale price set a "then" new record price for original comic art.  The press release also noted that the former record price for OA was the April 2008 private treaty sale (via HA) of Wallace Wood's cover to Weird Science #16 for $200K.  The press release also mentions the record auction result for Norman Mingo's painted MAD #30 front and rear covers, sold by HA in November 2008 for $203,150.

How quickly times have changed...

Thanks! I added those.

Any others? Anyone?

@batman_fan what's the most a Peanuts daily has sold for?

Edited by Twanj

On 1/15/2022 at 11:05 AM, Twanj said:

Thanks! I added those.

Any others? Anyone?

@batman_fan what's the most a Peanuts daily has sold for?

Just shy of $200k but it was from the 1st year.  Sundays are $360k but it was the Linus speech used in the Christmas animation cartoon.  I think for good dailies from the 1950s getting one for $50k would be a steal and closer to $100k would be the norm.  This Sunday sold in 2018 for almost $120k.  In todays market, $200k would be the floor with $300k possible.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.15.33 AM.png

On 1/15/2022 at 1:17 PM, batman_fan said:

Just shy of $200k but it was from the 1st year.  Sundays are $360k but it was the Linus speech used in the Christmas animation cartoon.  I think for good dailies from the 1950s getting one for $50k would be a steal and closer to $100k would be the norm.  This Sunday sold in 2018 for almost $120k.  In todays market, $200k would be the floor with $300k possible.

Thanks!

Added a Calvin & Hobbes Sunday & daily as well...

On 1/16/2022 at 3:36 PM, jqa3 said:

Great list.  Thanks for compiling it.

Is there a way to have this thread pinned at the top so it doesn't get lost?

What about complete books - anyone have figures for those?

Good idea!

What about some of those old Sotheby's/Christie's sales from the 90s?

On 1/16/2022 at 9:00 PM, RBerman said:

IIRC, the Wrightson Frankenstein piece was sold at auction through Profiles in History, though that has since been bought out by Heritage Auction.

Aha, thanks! I changed it to PIH/HA.

On 1/18/2022 at 8:43 AM, timguerrero said:

I think it is interesting to see that most of the highest value sales have come from Heritage, no Comiclink, Hake's or ComicConnect. This definitely reassures sellers that they have one of the best if not the best venue to sell art.

Pretty much!

There's the BWS MCP cover on CL & Wrightson at PIH (bought by HA later).

Wonder if the Xmen #1 cover would have sold better on HA?

On 1/18/2022 at 8:43 AM, timguerrero said:

I think it is interesting to see that most of the highest value sales have come from Heritage, no Comiclink, Hake's or ComicConnect. This definitely reassures sellers that they have one of the best if not the best venue to sell art.

This definitely reassures sellers that they have one of the best if not the best venue to sell the highest-end art

WOW!

Some strong showings at HA for interior records! #3, 5, & 10.

No new cover records yet tho?

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Tales of Suspense #59 Captain America Splash Page 1 Original Art (Marvel, 1964) $630,000 (on 2022/04/07 at HA)

Higher than any Kirby cover!

Jim Lee and Scott Williams Uncanny X-Men #271 Story Page 4 Original Art (Marvel, 1990) $360,000 (on 2022/04/08 at HA)

Higher than their UXM #268 COVER in 2020.

John Romita Sr. and Mike Esposito Amazing Spider-Man #50 Story Page 10 Kingpin Original Art (Marvel, 1967) $240,000 (on 2022/04/08 at HA)

Kingpin comes close to previous Romita ASM #51 cover ($312k)