• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC has to modernize grading and improve turnaround times!
2 2

50 posts in this topic

Maybe.

Interesting conversation as I enjoy making improvements, maximizing potential, making people think, making the boss look good, while sometimes playing devil's advocate.

Who would scan every single page from appropriate angles?  How many scans would be necessary?  Would those scans be done at CGC where the graders normally work?  Are the people making the scans of the products trained to handle various comics with zero problems to those with many?  Would this require more employees, more equipment, and a larger facility?  Would it be cost effective? Would the graders now working from home require extra equipment?

The hobby is certainly picking up and gaining more participants.  Many learning the basics of the hobby.  Many of those think that a clean & press and then grading in almost mandatory these days.  I'm thinking that if every T, D, and H didn't submit every single book for a clean & press and then a grading by the company, TAT wouldn't be nearly as lengthy.

On 1/17/2022 at 1:04 AM, jbraden78 said:

There are companies that can grade by a scan while graders can access the items and work from home.

There has to be a way to do it faster without losing integrity of the grade.

There should be no reason to keep books past 30 days.   

Such as who?

If it comes down to completing a task quickly or correctly, I choose correctly every time.

That's not how supply and demand works.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 1/17/2022 at 1:04 AM, jbraden78 said:

There are companies that can grade by a scan while graders can access the items and work from home.  There has to be a way to do it faster without losing integrity of the grade.  There should be no reason to keep books past 30 days.   

From what I understand, CGC is working on improving their processes. But I think you'd agree that it's important to examine the books in person to get an accurate assessment of their condition...   

I think it's a fair question and request.  Speeding up the process will release many headaches for the consumer for certain.  Right now I have a submission stuck in "Scheduled for Grading" since mid November, and had a December submission already graded and returned to me.  Seems their processes are a little flawed.  I've emailed them regarding this and haven't received a response.  I do realize the current state of employment for everyone probably is a factor, but with the $$ we pay I feel the process should be better and worth the price of admission.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:04 AM, jbraden78 said:

There are companies that can grade by a scan while graders can access the items and work from home.  There has to be a way to do it faster without losing integrity of the grade.  There should be no reason to keep books past 30 days.   

Comics? No, there aren't. At least not properly, with any kind of accuracy and/or precision.

I guess I admire your attempt to lock down Dumbest Post of the Year in mid-January, though. :facepalm:

On 1/17/2022 at 11:35 AM, Eric Jordan said:

I think it's a fair question and request.  Speeding up the process will release many headaches for the consumer for certain.  Right now I have a submission stuck in "Scheduled for Grading" since mid November, and had a December submission already graded and returned to me.  Seems their processes are a little flawed.  I've emailed them regarding this and haven't received a response.  I do realize the current state of employment for everyone probably is a factor, but with the $$ we pay I feel the process should be better and worth the price of admission.

Its a fair question and request, but its essentially just saying "EVERY COMPANY AND EVERY JOB IN THE WORLD SHOULD JUST DO THEIR JOB BETTER AND FASTER BECAUSE TECHNOLOGY'.  Which I guess is true?  But how does that practically happen, and how much does it cost to make it happen?  And how much are people willing to pay to make it happen?  

It's like saying, "our Target store should have zero loss from theft".  Which on its face is a great goal to have, but is it?  

What is the current loss from theft?  And what are the steps to eliminate the possibility for ALL THEFT in a Target store?  If average loss at a store is $100,000 a year, would it be worth it to pay $200,000 a year to eliminate all the theft?

Armed guards and cameras on every aisle, sophisticated trackers on each item, super in-depth background checks on each employee?  At what point is the cost of implementation more than cost of the loss from theft?  At what point do customers stop shopping there because security is obtrusive or scary?  

And of course companies should be open to creative solutions and out of the box thinking, but even suggesting remote grading is wild to the point where any other suggestions that person makes would be automatically be frowned upon.  

With all that being said, if people have well-thought out ideas or suggestions, they should absolutely share them with CGC.  But hopefully people giving those suggestions at least for a second try to put themselves in the position of CGC as a business with employees (and a history, not starting from scratch) in a pandemic and cost considerations and budgets who is an industry leader with a near monopoly who was just acquired who's entire business model is based on their perceived integrity WITH REGARDS TO ACCURATE AND OBJECTIVE GRADING OF COLLECTIBLES, rather than "I'm a person who wants his stuff faster because Disney can make Baby Yoda so life-like and I press two buttons on my phone and someone will literally drive tasty tacos to my house in half an hour".