• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I never cared about this Spider-Man but maybe I hit gold. Do you guys think this has a chance at 9.8?
4 4

21 posts in this topic

I cared so little about him I bought this book 27 years ago just because it was a #1 and first appearance. I never even removed it from it's protective sleeve until today. I noticed what newstand editions were going for so I looked through the couple that I had and sure enough one was! Do you guys think this could be pressed out to a 9.8 grade? If not what do you guys see this rating at?

IMG_9177.jpg

IMG_9178.jpg

IMG_9180.jpg

IMG_9181.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

IMG_9183.jpg

IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9185.jpg

I would never assign a grade to any book shown online higher than a NM 9.4, I would have to have the book directly in front of me, even then, would CGC agree with the grade I assigned?

From everything I have read NM/MT 9.8 is a crapshoot, anything can happen to the book during shipping or handling that would lower the grade.

Here are the grading standards for NM/MT 9.8 and NM+ 9.6, does your book meet all of the requirements?

9.8 NEAR MINT/MINT (NM/MT):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect in every way with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and minimal fading. Corners are cut square and sharp. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust. Paper is white, supple and fresh. Only the slightest interior tears are allowed.

9.6 NEAR MINT+ (NM+):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with a minor additional virtue or virtues that raise it from Near Mint. Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. No bindery tears are allowed, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/8" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. One corner may be almost imperceptibly blunted, but still almost sharp and cut square. Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible, but no creases, bends, or color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration. Paper is off-white, supple and fresh. Only the slightest interior tears are allowed.

It's possible. I bought a Spider-Man 9/11 all black cover newsstand edition off eBay. Sent it in for Romita and Hanna Auto and Remarque and it came back 9.8. Not bad for all the shipping it went through from eBay to me, me to CGC, all the handling.

The one you have presented looks in great shape and a C&P could very well turn out a 9.8. Guess it just depends on how the grader is feeling that day.

9.4 or better.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:23 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I would never assign a grade to any book shown online higher than a NM 9.4

Ditto. Or very rarely. I couldn't even bring myself to do it during Round 1 of the contest even though I knew I should.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by grendelbo

On 1/24/2022 at 10:01 AM, Crops068 said:

That area near the spine at the bottom staple with the barcode is the only thing I can see that could keep it from the 9.8 imo.  But it def has potential.

I totally agree, and see it grading 9.4/9.6 before a press (leaning more toward 9.4), and 9.6/9.8 after...

On 1/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, KCode98 said:

What do you guys think about this one? I grabbed another one and going to send them both off at the same time.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16001.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

s-l16004.jpg

s-l16005.jpg

s-l16006.jpg

s-l16007.jpg

s-l16008.jpg

Limit to one book per thread.  Start a new one for this one. :)