• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Annual Grading Contest Final Round (Results are In)
8 8

185 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, Funnybooks said:

Not surprising coming from Wolverine!!! :headbang:

I'm willing to suggest the corn on the cob challenge...

person corn GIF

Wow! that looks painful. I hope she didn't jack up her teeth too.

Lets get a real number 1 winner.

giphy.gif

Edited by Wolverinex

On 1/23/2022 at 1:40 PM, grendelbo said:

I say let there be two winners.

We could settle the prize choice with a grade-off.

I see it as 2 winners regardless of what ultimately happens. 

On 1/23/2022 at 12:49 PM, Funnybooks said:

as @Point Five noted earlier..this was a unique contest in that we had to project the grade after a C&P...from 2 pics with no further information..fun exercise but ultimately not truly a grading contest but more of a speculation contest. It was fun hanging with you guys

But in a way, a better test to prepare someone for the "real world". With @Bird  being a lone wolf flipper, for instance, recognizing a good C&P candidate is crucial either to further incite people to buy his copy of a comic over another dealer's or so that when they buy, they can see if the comic has further potential to make it a worthwhile flip. Like the guy who flipped a 9.6 Giant Size X-Men into a 9.8.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:55 PM, Wolverinex said:

Do you have the grader notes for the spiderman annual?  Thanks again for the fun contest!

I do not since these were sent to CGC by the presser under their account. I don't send many per year and I am in canada, so they send them out and get them back and send them to me once they are all returned from CGC. Hence why it will be one year and a half since I have held these comics in my hands. Of all the books I sent, that is the grade that disapointed me most (well that and a Mister Miracle that I will post about when I get them in). I thought it would come back 9.0 or better. As for the Marvel Family 36, I should not have sent that in, that was just dumb of me. Sending the Detective 135 was crucial because while I knew it was a 9.0, it was not obvious to people who don't understand how little CGC cares about manufacturing defects outside of the ultra high grade range. And plus, I wanted the extra protection a slab offers for that book. 

@Funnybooks and @Croatbag, my tie breaker question is the following: What was the original grade of that DD168 book?

So, in other words, what is the grade of the book as it is in the pictures?

Here are the original grader notes:

soiling bottom of front cover

spine stress lines

Edited by William-James88

On 1/23/2022 at 2:25 PM, William-James88 said:

I see it as 2 winners regardless of what ultimately happens. 

But in a way, a better test to prepare someone for the "real world". With @Bird  being a lone wolf flipper, for instance, recognizing a good C&P candidate is crucial either to further incite people to buy his copy of a comic over another dealer's or so that when they buy, they can see if the comic has further potential to make it a worthwhile flip. Like the guy who flipped a 9.6 Giant Size X-Men into a 9.8.

I do not since these were sent to CGC by the presser under their account. I don't send many per year and I am in canada, so they send them out and get them back and send them to me once they are all returned from CGC. Hence why it will be one year and a half since I have held these comics in my hands. Of all the books I sent, that is the grade that disapointed me most (well that and a Mister Miracle that I will post about when I get them in). I thought it would come back 9.0 or better. As for the Marvel Family 36, I should not have sent that in, that was just dumb of me. Sending the Detective 135 was crucial because while I knew it was a 9.0, it was not obvious to people who don't understand how little CGC cares about manufacturing defects outside of the ultra high grade range. And plus, I wanted the extra protection a slab offers for that book. 

@Funnybooks and @Croatbag, my tie breaker question is the following: What was the original grade of that DD168 book?

So, in other words, what is the grade of the book as it is in the pictures?

Here are the original grader notes:

soiling bottom of front cover

spine stress lines

What if they choose the same grade?

I should stayed with my initial Glance!!

Marvel Family 36

Initial Glance = 8.0-8.5  Final -  5.5  (due the major rust migration onto both front and back cover)

Front cover,  Edges are crisp and smooth, in general,

L upper – small indentations with color breaks

Two small creases near the T with color breaks.

Slight scoffing on the large M.

Rusty Staples

Top – small bleed on cover

Bottom – large “dumbbell like” migration onto cover.

Back Cover.  Edges smooth

Creases – small on on edge – press should work.

Staple rust migration on the lower staple in “dumbbell shape” with further migration/staining towards bottom

Amazing Spider-man Annual 16 (Price Variant)

Initial Glance = 8.0-8.5  Final -  9.2

R upper – small creases with color breaks

R cover – mid crumpling of the yellow, may press out

R lower – small crease with color breaks

Spine – great with one small crease.

BACK –

Edges are crisp and smooth, in general,

R  upper spine  – small indentations

Daredevil 168

Initial Glance = 9.2-9.8  Final -  9.2

R upper – small indentation with color breaks

Bottom – scuff marks on black in the hair

Back Cover –

Edges are crisp and smooth, except a small tear in midway down

Soiling on R lower.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:49 PM, Comics4All said:

Congrats to @grendelbo & @Funnybooks!! :golfclap:

Clearly I need to spend more time in PGM!

Thanks to @William-James88 for doing this !

I always enjoy the grading contests! :banana:

@Croatbagis the co-winner, to be clear. But after 2 contests and very good standings in both, I'm feeling pretty confident in my grading skills and in figuring out CGC.

On 1/23/2022 at 2:51 PM, mikej61 said:

I should stayed with my initial Glance!!

Marvel Family 36

Initial Glance = 8.0-8.5  Final -  5.5  (due the major rust migration onto both front and back cover)

Yeah, this one was probably the biggest surprise to me. I can see the rest of the book is lovely, but in broad strokes I would have thought rust migration was enough to take a high grade to a midgrade.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:02 PM, Point Five said:

Yeah, this one was probably the biggest surprise to me. I can see the rest of the book is lovely, but in broad strokes I would have thought rust migration was enough to take a high grade to a midgrade.

I don't have many golden age but whenever I do I grade it normally and then I add three points.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, Wolverinex said:

giphy.gif

I'm taggin you in all my PGM threads from now.

Please do.

I'm there consistently anyways.

Grading books is one of the ways I enjoy the hobby now that I've been largely priced out of adding to my collection. I hope to be useful to PGM posters while adding to my knowledge.