• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Jack Kirby's Fourth World a "Must-Have" for New Readers?
1 1

Is Jack Kirby's Fourth World a "Must-Have" for New Readers?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. And/or a "must-read"?

• Yes
    • No

25 posts in this topic

It's been on my list for a few months, but as I read about it and look at the contents it seems like something of its time that I would struggle to appreciate. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his artwork overall and his time at Marvel is significant to the characters and their success, but this work does not seem necessary to the characters it creates for DC. Am I wrong?

Classic Bronze Age, but Kirby’s dialogue polarises, either considered quite outright terrible by some but entertainingly bombastic to others, so I wouldn’t consider it a must-have for everyone. I personally like the overblown energy in Kirby’s art and phrasing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/20/2022 at 4:21 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I read about it and look at the contents it seems like something of its time that I would struggle to appreciate

Yup. It’s around 50 years old, so a common, understandable problem.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Classic Bronze Age, but Kirby’s dialogue polarises, either considered quite outright terrible by some but entertainingly bombastic to others, so I wouldn’t consider it a must-have for everyone. I personally like the overblown energy in Kirby’s art and phrasing.

Is it fair to say that most of his concepts were ditched after Crisis? Creations like Apokolips, Darkseid, Mother Boxes, Boom Tubes, etc exist afterwards but it seems to me like a lot of it was left in the dust. Is that a fair analysis?

On 1/20/2022 at 5:34 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is it fair to say that most of his concepts were ditched after Crisis? Creations like Apokolips, Darkseid, Mother Boxes, Boom Tubes, etc exist afterwards but it seems to me like a lot of it was left in the dust. Is that a fair analysis?

The characters have been used quite a bit down the years, mainly the evil gods of Apokolips, plus Mister Miracle and Orion. The Anti-Life Equation has been in a couple of important storylines, such as Final Crisis.  But, sure many would consider a lot of it inessential despite some good stories. As a Bronze Age kid I have a fondness for the original saga, but, at the opposite extreme, I think it was a writer in Wizard, in the days before film speculation, who asked ‘Does anyone really care about these losers anymore?’, which was a little extreme.  As I said, polarising.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, shadroch said:

Was Kirby at the height of his story-telling when he left Marvel or was he an aging gunfighter seeking one last day of glory?

Hard for me to say the height, but we did get some great, pure Kirby. The concepts and creativity were A-game.

Conceptually interesting, but ultimately not as satisfying as one would want. Kirby wasn't the greatest storyteller on his own, and overall his collaborations with Stan Lee from Marvel's Silver Age are more entertaining (though they had their share of filler).

I never liked it, and I bought them all new when they came out - I was in High School.  The New Gods, Forever People, Mister Miracle, Sandman, Jimmy Olsen - the artwork was better than the reading.  DC hyped them a lot "Kirby is Coming" and the books just did not do anything for me at all.  They still don't.  I bought and read Hunger Dogs when it came out much later and didn't like that either.  The Fourth World books are something you will either love or hate.     

Edited by boatfund

I just picked up the Eagle Moss two volume New Gods. It's about the size of the old Marvel Masterworks and so far I'm enjoying the printing. The art is great in spots, looks mailed in in others but the dialog is hard to read. It's a shame Stan wasn't around to flesh out Kirby's ideas. 

Kirbys Fourth World I consider some of the very best that have ever been done within the superheroe genre.

its really really good the way Kirby connects with timeless, mythic themes. 
Its a pop cultural celebration of the  basic human themes explored in the sumeric Gilgamesh epos, the norse Volsunga-saga, the german Niebelungen folklore. And in Lucas who ripped Kirby off with the Star Wars franschise afterwards.

I cannot recommend Kirbys FW high enough.

Edited by Mr bla bla