• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have one of those "If a book is flawless other than a..." questions.
4 4

21 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 12:49 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

9.8s are not perfect.

I know, I know ...and im trying SO HARD to accept that fact but I have so many 9.8s that are flawless to the naked eye. When I see one with a clear flaw, it makes my stomach hurt.

Theres a huge diff in value from a 9.8 to a 9.6. The stakes are high when youre looking to buy a book worth thousands.

Its one thing when a book you already own gets a gift grade...THATS GREAT!

Different ballgame when youre paying fmv for a gift graded 9.8.

Im curious if anyone here has a foil cover - comic with a scratch that got a 9.8.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:58 PM, lostboys said:

Theres a huge diff in value from a 9.8 to a 9.6. The stakes are high when youre looking to buy a book worth thousands.

I'm highlighting this for a reason. The price difference is massive compared to the difference in condition. On any day, if you get a 9.6 and 9.8 re-graded, the sticker number could be flip-flopped and one wouldn't notice.

Buy the book, not the label.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:02 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm highlighting this for a reason. The price difference is massive compared to the difference in condition. On any day, if you get a 9.6 and 9.8 re-graded, the sticker number could be flip-flopped and one wouldn't notice.

Buy the book, not the label.

That strategy is great if you can hold and inspect the slabbed book.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:58 PM, lostboys said:

I know, I know ...and im trying SO HARD to accept that fact but I have so many 9.8s that are flawless to the naked eye. When I see one with a clear flaw, it makes my stomach hurt.

Its one thing when a book you already own gets a gift grade...THATS GREAT!

Different ballgame when youre paying fmv for a gift graded 9.8.

Im curious if anyone here has a foil cover - comic with a scratch that got a 9.8.

It's also possible that the graders missed it  :whatthe: 

or the book was scratched during encapsulation.

Any notes?  

On 1/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, The Lions Den said:

It's also possible that the graders missed it  :whatthe: 

or the book was scratched during encapsulation.

Any notes?  

No way they missed it but VERY possible it happened during encapsulation. I worry about the future of graded comics and I've got a nice chunk invested in my collection. 

I don't buy 9.8s to get rich though. I buy them because I CRAVE perfection.

And if a 9.8 isn't perfection then there should be more 9.9s and 10s out there.

Especially for books that came out in the last decade. There are a lot of collectors out there that know how to grade comic books. They submit hundreds at a time but the best they can hope for is a 9.8. Something wrong there.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:06 PM, lostboys said:

No way they missed it but VERY possible it happened during encapsulation. I worry about the future of graded comics and I've got a nice chunk invested in my collection. 

I don't buy 9.8s to get rich though. I buy them because I CRAVE perfection.

Especially for books that came out in the last decade. There are a lot of collectors out there that know how to grade comic books. They submit hundreds at a time but the best they can hope for is a 9.8. Something wrong there.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but I have 9.8's that have grading notes that describe imperfections. They're very small and often difficult to see, but they're definitely imperfections. 

I do appreciate your desire for perfection, but I tend to look at the natural world for perfection, such as a "perfect day" or a "perfect sunset." I'm never disappointed by those things...  :foryou:

On 1/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, lostboys said:

Im looking at buying a book thats been graded a cgc 9.8. Its a foil cover and there is a very small scratch on the foil...maybe a half inch long. My question is...shouldnt that disqualify it for 9.8? 

Not if CGC deemed it a defect done during the manufacturing process.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:06 PM, lostboys said:

Why? Comics are multipage folios made cheap and thus are rarely perfect. Hence why 9.9 and 10s are rare. A collection of 9.8s is a collection of comics with manufacturing flaws, far from perfection.

If you need perfection, then you are better off collecting cards.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:37 PM, The Lions Den said:

Well, I hate to break it to you, but I have 9.8's that have grading notes that describe imperfections. They're very small and often difficult to see, but they're definitely imperfections. 

I do appreciate your desire for perfection, but I tend to look at the natural world for perfection, such as a "perfect day" or a "perfect sunset." I'm never disappointed by those things...  :foryou:

And I admire your ability to accept less than perfection.  

In my case, I have 13 cgc 9.8s and they all LOOK perfect. 

To each his own

On 1/20/2022 at 7:00 PM, William-James88 said:

Why? Comics are multipage folios made cheap and thus are rarely perfect. Hence why 9.9 and 10s are rare. A collection of 9.8s is a collection of comics with manufacturing flaws, far from perfection.

If you need perfection, then you are better off collecting cards.

A 9.8 with no visible defects to the front cover is perfection in my eyes

It doesn't bothers if there's color rub on the back cover or a crease on page 7

On 1/21/2022 at 1:17 PM, lostboys said:

A 9.8 with no visible defects to the front cover is perfection in my eyes

It doesn't bothers if there's color rub on the back cover or a crease on page 7

That's fair. But many 9.8s have visible defects, that is what I was referring to.

Like this book below. You can look on the lower left corner. And it has writing on the cover. Both those elements would not be allowed on a higher grade.

http://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_ii/1200/2803046.jpg

And this 9.8 here is not wrapped properly

asm129.JPG

Tons of noticeable defects are allowed on the covers of 9.8s. 

On 1/21/2022 at 1:32 PM, William-James88 said:

That's fair. But many 9.8s have visible defects, that is what I was referring to.

Like this book below. You can look on the lower left corner. And it has writing on the cover. Both those elements would not be allowed on a higher grade.

http://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_ii/1200/2803046.jpg

And this 9.8 here is not wrapped properly

asm129.JPG

Tons of noticeable defects are allowed on the covers of 9.8s. 

Apparently perfection is in the eye of the beholder...  (shrug)    

I have only one slabbed 9.8.

It has a noticeable stacking crease near the upper spine.

1336913003_Wolverine47(CGC9.8).thumb.jpg.34f6a3a7c110d97b181fed0adda44c05.jpg

I'm still wondering if it was an allowable defect in 9.8 or an acceptable manufacturing defect. 

On 1/21/2022 at 4:03 PM, grendelbo said:

I have only one slabbed 9.8.

It has a noticeable stacking crease near the upper spine.

1336913003_Wolverine47(CGC9.8).thumb.jpg.34f6a3a7c110d97b181fed0adda44c05.jpg

I'm still wondering if it was an allowable defect in 9.8 or an acceptable manufacturing defect. 

I'm wondering this as well.  I just pulled a CGC candidate from my collection that looks immaculate except for the stacking bend near the spine.