• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Apple TV's GODZILLA MONARCH MonsterVerse series (2023)
1 1

60 posts in this topic

Episode 6 was so good, bringing together much of the story elements as a culmination to the final scene shown. And a great looking famous creature many know and appreciate.

I have a feeling Kurt Russell's character may be the father of one of the kids. But we shall see if that reveal happens. December 22nd with the final episode can't come soon enough.

:headbang:

Episode 8 builds upon the Monarch mystery while sprinkling in more reveals leading up to Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire.

Kurt and Wyatt Russell definitely help keep the intensity going. Really solid additions to a good cast.

Overall, a satisfying 8.5/10 rating from me for 10 episode season 1. Would rate 'Monarch' a bit higher if my streaming device provided English sub-titles for the several all Japanese conversations. Now I wonder if the revised b/w version of 'Godzilla Minus 1' will be released in North America at all.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:38 PM, Dr. Love said:

Less acting, and I use that term loosely, more monsters. Like, much much much more monsters. It's in the title for goodness sake

The acting is what set this apart from simple monster movies.

I really have to disagree with Kojima's analysis of the flashbacks.  To me the flashbacks were the only thing that made this series not "ho-hum."  There was very little monster action so it needed to have something else - and in my opinion what it had was a great system of seeing three generations of the same family interwoven with the Titans and Monarch. I give it about an 85

I watched every episode, I was unsure at first, but by the end I enjoyed it enough that I will come back for more. I agree the flashbacks were absolutely central to the plausibility and impact of the story. I didn't care about the relative lack of monsters, they mean more to the story precisely by not appearing every episode destroying stuff, it should also be appreciated imo that the meta-story assumes that Godzilla and other monsters are part of a natural order, and that suggests that they wouldn't be appearing every 5 minutes burning some major city down....

On 1/12/2024 at 5:34 PM, aardvark88 said:

Overall, a satisfying 8.5/10 rating from me for 10 episode season 1. Would rate 'Monarch' a bit higher if my streaming device provided English sub-titles for the several all Japanese conversations. Now I wonder if the revised b/w version of 'Godzilla Minus 1' will be released in North America at all.

I watched it on Apple TV, I actually paid for a month just for this show, don't regret it, but I did have subtitles....

Superstars Tom Cruise and Pedro Pascal, recent Oscar winner Emma Stone and the legendary “Godzilla Minus One” are among the winners of the 4th annual Critics Choice Super Awards.

The awards, which honor fan-favorite genres in film and television, saw a diverse array of movies and TV shows garnering accolades from international critics and journalists. Leading the cinematic charge, “Godzilla: Minus One” (Toho), “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning” (Paramount), “Poor Things” (Searchlight), and “Talk to Me” (A24) each secured two wins, the most of any movies.

Film Winners

• Science Fiction/Fantasy Movie: “Godzilla Minus One”
  • Villiain in a Movie: Godzilla – “Godzilla Minus One”

And as a creative cousin:

• Actor in a Science Fiction/Fantasy Series, Limited Series or Made-for-TV Movie: Jharrel Jerome — “I’m a Virgo” and Kurt Russell — “Monarch: Legacy of Monsters”