• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your D&D OA
4 4

277 posts in this topic

100 pieces on display in Italy in the fall.   And you know there will be some darn nice ones given the collection.

News has been spreading slowly on social media about this event. Real shame it isn't closer to home though I do wonder if this is the start of a bigger traveling exhibit. I mean, why not once the pieces are selected and secured for shipping.

If I recall correctly the following major pieces with NOT be there due to ownership: Fiend Folio, Monster Manual, Deities and Demigods, and I think the first DMG, though could be wrong there. 

I would love to see an original Otus in person. Heck I'd love to see examples from the Four Horseman all in one room to compare how they look in person. I have heard murmurs over the years of how some look better in person and others worse. Also, bring on the Dragonlance module covers and calendar pieces. Those are my absolute favorites from the entire catalog. 

Lots of memorable "minor" pieces to drool over as well, in particular some of Willingham's interiors (such a unique style at the time) and Trampier's. 

Oh yeah, I totally forgot the Elmore red dragon boxed set cover just has to be there (if he owns it, not sure of that one).

On 7/3/2024 at 9:30 AM, Bronty said:

"Dungeons & Dragons will be celebrating their 50th anniversary, and to celebrate big, Lucca Comics & Games will be hosting two tributes to the franchise as a dedication to Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, the creators! The first tribute to the role-playing board game will have the Koder Collection attending the exhibition for the first time, alongside Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, Clyde Caldwell, Keith Parkinson, and Todd Lockwood in a unique exhibition called Gateway to Adventure: 50 Years of D&D Art. Curated by Jon Peterson and Jessica Lee Patterson, the exhibition will be hosted in the Church of the Servi to showcase more than 100 original works by many artists from D&D over the 50 years it has existed."

wow, wow, wow

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 10:30 AM, Bronty said:

"Dungeons & Dragons will be celebrating their 50th anniversary, and to celebrate big, Lucca Comics & Games will be hosting two tributes to the franchise as a dedication to Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, the creators! The first tribute to the role-playing board game will have the Koder Collection attending the exhibition for the first time, alongside Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, Clyde Caldwell, Keith Parkinson, and Todd Lockwood in a unique exhibition called Gateway to Adventure: 50 Years of D&D Art. Curated by Jon Peterson and Jessica Lee Patterson, the exhibition will be hosted in the Church of the Servi to showcase more than 100 original works by many artists from D&D over the 50 years it has existed."

I'm glad Mathew is getting the chance to show off his collection, and maybe this is the start of something more regular or permanent.  People better be ready to bring a wheelbarrow to carry their jaws around. 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 7/26/2024 at 10:23 AM, Bronty said:

between the print and the shirt you are single handedly bringing back 1983!

Well done, great print (and shirt).   

How was Erol to talk to?

He looks the same in every pic I have seen posted of this signing, a man uncomfortable with his celebrity :) I hope to land one Monday. Gene is the print a decent quality? Looks like heavier card stock. Any guesses on value of the original?

Edited by cstojano

On 7/26/2024 at 2:08 PM, cstojano said:

He looks the same in every pic I have seen posted of this signing, a man uncomfortable with his celebrity :) I hoep to land one Monday. Gene is the print a decent quality? Looks like heavier card stock. Any guesses on value of the original?

I think its impossible to say without seeing it hit the auction block.    

On 7/26/2024 at 11:24 AM, Bronty said:

I think its impossible to say without seeing it hit the auction block.    

Suffice to say it all depends on what the underbidder is willing to risk in punishment bids. Its a near one and done piece though. 

On 7/26/2024 at 12:38 PM, cstojano said:

Suffice to say it all depends on what the underbidder is willing to risk in punishment bids. Its a near one and done piece though. 

What if you want the expert set cover to go with it? It is the perfect companion piece after all. 😀

IMG_1230.jpeg

Well, people more familiar with these originals will have more to share on this point, but when I see that expert box art , the first place my mind goes is that the part of the image that mirrors the basic set may be reproduced from the basic set art.    On painted illustrations rather than a stat like in comics it would often be left blank to allow for the reproduced piece to be inserted at the printers.

This is a long way of saying that at first blush when I look at the expert box I’d be worried about part of the central image being blank on the original and therefore not presenting that well. 

On 7/26/2024 at 2:08 PM, cstojano said:

He looks the same in every pic I have seen posted of this signing, a man uncomfortable with his celebrity :) I hope to land one Monday. Gene is the print a decent quality? Looks like heavier card stock. Any guesses on value of the original?

It's a nice giclee on heavy stock. 18x24" and I think limited to 100 copies IIRC. Otus pre-signed all of them in pencil and added a personalization if you wanted (I did). Great value for $85.

Not sure the original even exists anymore...might have been one that TSR binned back in the day as no one seems to have seen it that i know of (if someone can confirm either way, do tell). I think it would probably fetch $300-500K but I'd be less surprised if it went for more than if it went for less. 

Otus was nice to talk to. Doesn't get really excited but smiled as I gushed about how much I loved this image. I was there with @comix4fun (Chris C) who has had some correspondence with him in the past and they had a longer chat. Chris was wearing a Joy Division shirt and Otus is apparently a fan - learn something new every day!

Edited by delekkerste