Share your D&D OA
3 3

103 posts in this topic

This may or may not be a fishing expedition.  }:-)

 

My latest, from Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft (5E):

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1788371

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1788369

 

And from the original 90s Ravenloft boxed set:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1653720

 

Edited by exitmusicblue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2022 at 9:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I really wish I could put my hands on some of Jeff Dee's original art from the modules and manuals in the late 70s, early 80s.  But from what I understand it's all missing/destroyed.  :(

That is sad to hear.  I would love to own this one.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.29.45 AM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha, this is most certainly a fishing expedition ;)

Lack of replies is telling, not much floating in the marketplace and those holding are clearly smart in not posting lest they want an inbox of inquiries. I remember a few years back someone posted a load of Elmore interiors to the Dragonlance modules on CAF. They were pretty quickly removed (and sold I am told to The Whale).

I think for many who grew up in the 70s and 80s these early, simpler module and rulebook pieces have tremendous nostalgia. Awesome as they are, peak awesome, for me, is the Dragonlance work by Elmore. Willingham's particular black and white interiors were also quite amazing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read years ago (I forget where) that the early days of TSR were a bit... disorganized.  And the artists would send their work in and it was put into a closet in the offices in Lake Geneva, WI.  At some point they moved and apparently cleaned house.  It's assumed that someone cleared out the art for artists that didn't insist on getting it back.  And by cleared out, it's assumed to have been put in the garbage.

I seem to remember Jeff Dee recounting this in one of his kickstarter campaigns to recreate the original work.  I'm sure there's someone out there that knows better than I but this is just my recollection.

Still, there's enough uncertainty about the specifics that one day, someone's grandkids could show up with it all.  Who knows?  (shrug)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2022 at 6:50 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I read years ago (I forget where) that the early days of TSR were a bit... disorganized.  And the artists would send their work in and it was put into a closet in the offices in Lake Geneva, WI.  At some point they moved and apparently cleaned house.  It's assumed that someone cleared out the art for artists that didn't insist on getting it back.  And by cleared out, it's assumed to have been put in the garbage.

I seem to remember Jeff Dee recounting this in one of his kickstarter campaigns to recreate the original work.  I'm sure there's someone out there that knows better than I but this is just my recollection.

Still, there's enough uncertainty about the specifics that one day, someone's grandkids could show up with it all.  Who knows?  (shrug)

The documentary "Eye of the Beholder" which I watched through Amazon Prime streaming, had a lot of discussion of artwork and a mention of the closing of the Lake Geneva warehouse. It seems when a large metal storage cabinet was moved, stored behind it against the wall were several pieces of artwork including the original Players Handbook Cover. 

Oh wait...you can watch the whole thing on YouTube now: 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 10:11 AM, comix4fun said:

The documentary "Eye of the Beholder" which I watched through Amazon Prime streaming, had a lot of discussion of artwork and a mention of the closing of the Lake Geneva warehouse. It seems when a large metal storage cabinet was moved, stored behind it against the wall were several pieces of artwork including the original Players Handbook Cover. 

Oh wait...you can watch the whole thing on YouTube now: 
 

 

any idea where in the video that discussion might be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, cstojano said:

Ha, this is most certainly a fishing expedition ;)

Lack of replies is telling, not much floating in the marketplace and those holding are clearly smart in not posting lest they want an inbox of inquiries. I remember a few years back someone posted a load of Elmore interiors to the Dragonlance modules on CAF. They were pretty quickly removed (and sold I am told to The Whale).

I think for many who grew up in the 70s and 80s these early, simpler module and rulebook pieces have tremendous nostalgia. Awesome as they are, peak awesome, for me, is the Dragonlance work by Elmore. Willingham's particular black and white interiors were also quite amazing. 

I weep for those lost Elmores, and kick myself for not having been more alert.

Pretty sure any of his Chronicles or Legends covers would hit 6 figures easy at auction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2022 at 11:22 AM, -m said:

I have the Gelatinous Cube from Monster Manual 2nd edition, plus a bunch of other monsters, and a Ravenloft cover prelim.

Here's the cube, and I will take a look for some more scans.

 

560910886_DD003(1)-1-1.jpg.b2777d16f636fbcccc2639a3d2cd0dfb.jpg

Ahem, if any are available, I am but a "DM" away...*
 

*Extortionate pricing possible depending on the art.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 9:09 PM, exitmusicblue said:

I weep for those lost Elmores, and kick myself for not having been more alert.

Pretty sure any of his Chronicles or Legends covers would hit 6 figures easy at auction.

I think so too. They are "one and done" pieces for me and I am sure many others, so stretching would be worth it. All academic at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 9:59 AM, Bronty said:

any idea where in the video that discussion might be?

Just watch the whole thing...it's great. lol 

Seriously though I can't remember it was over a year ago I watched it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/25/2022 at 6:33 PM, comix4fun said:

Just watch the whole thing...it's great. lol 

Seriously though I can't remember it was over a year ago I watched it. 

 

Ok thanks anyways.

I don’t think I can watch the whole thing.   Too long :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2022 at 6:03 AM, Bronty said:

Ok thanks anyways.

I don’t think I can watch the whole thing.   Too long :)

I planned on watching it again. I'll try to note the time when they hit that topic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3