• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can pressing create color breaks?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I've got a book with a few small, non-color breaking spine stress marks.  I'm wondering if it's possible that a press might turn these into color breaks?  I don't know exactly how that even might happen, or why I worry about this, but figured I'd ask.  Thanks!

On 1/22/2022 at 8:43 AM, zzutak said:

There are a number of defects that can develop as a result of "poor" pressing and/or pressing of unsuitable candidate  :cry:  Taken to the extreme, there's even this  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

XM-7a.thumb.jpg.72c0bab363e104e7a2530b6ef21a25e0.jpg  XM-7b.thumb.jpg.90c16d465644cf472be2e4c1807c8149.jpg

But I saved money by using my momma's iron, and an old white t-shirt as I could not afford teflon sheets. Leave it to the Pros. Don't do it yourself unless u are practicing on low grade like this gentleman:

I know a local shop owner who does pressing. I'm not sure what equipment he owns,  I can just tell you I no longer buy books from him because he does a terrible job on SA books and it's disheartening to see. The creases are accentuated and the books just look bad.  You can pick out every older book he presses. 

I suspect he does OK with moderns. My point is,  yes,  pressing can cause more damage and I would work with a professional.

On 1/22/2022 at 12:58 PM, aardvark88 said:

But I saved money by using my momma's iron, and an old white t-shirt as I could not afford teflon sheets. Leave it to the Pros. Don't do it yourself unless u are practicing on low grade like this gentleman:

Everyone gets their 15 minutes. 

To answer the OP’s original question about pressing adding color breaks, the answer is no. 

If done correctly any indents, non-color breaking creases and waves will come out without adding any damage. What does happen in some cases is that the crease has small color breaks associated with it before pressing. Once pressed with the book now lying flat, the small color break is more pronounced. 

Of course, by definition I suppose if it's done incorrectly all manner of things can go wrong.  I was wondering if the process itself -- done by the best presser in the biz -- might result in this.  Thanks everyone for helping!

On 1/26/2022 at 7:18 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

What about if it is done incorrectly? That leaves the possibility that it could happen, right?

On 1/26/2022 at 8:03 AM, joeypost said:

Incorrectly? All kinds of horror stories have happened. 

A friend once told me that any machine can be a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

So for sure I've never noticed this happening (the conversion of small non-color breaking stresses to ticks), but then again I don't have much experience with pressing high grade books (to go from 9.2 to 9.4, for example) where this kind of thing would be a killer.  

I shudder to think how many books are being ruined by the DIY pressing industry. I recall buying an Avengers 16 from a Boardie many years ago and it looked great. I took it out of the bag and the corners curled up and it was as flat as a pancake. Overheated and squashed.

Thankfully, Joey saved it for me. I believe he re-humidified it and then properly pressed it. :foryou:

Pro pressing can be a lifesaver. DIY at your own risk.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, bapowell said:

FWIW, the following prescription has worked well for me: 165 degrees F for 15 minutes, then shut off the machine and leave the book in for 4-24 hours.

You don't need to leave the book in the press for 4-24 hours. That's too long. Once the press is up to temp, shut it off. I've already said too much and I don't train for free :preach: