• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using peroxide and blue LED light to clean and whiten comics - resto or no?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

Tried this in the grading section to crickets.

There's a Facebook group that just released a book on stain removal which I have ordered. Using peroxide method for stain removal and blue LED light exposure in a light box. Blue LED is used to whiten teeth, over exposure will adversely effect the colour (yes, that is the proper way to spell colour)

Many books have already been through CGC with blue labels but some with too much of the methods got a PLOD like the batman pictured. It went from a 3.5 uni to a restored 3.5 at Voldemort's place (pics from the FB group)

As is the mantra of pro-pressers: you are not adding anything to the book, so it's not resto, apparently peroxide is used in the paper/print process. Exposing to light isn't really adding anything tangible 

The stain removal methods will remove foxing and stains so I'm very interested in that considering how harsh CGC is on foxing

https://www.amazon.com/Comic-Book-Stain-Removal-Whitening/dp/B09QJXBJ3X/?fbclid=IwAR0nbbMgcFLRtZ4RKGbcpAy1dh-2GAEIVkZEWNoAMSPfV5Ay6c9iQHxjt34

272367629_10101370452331188_1484029283439703653_n.jpg

271833793_10222907605931853_8113366416460201090_n.jpg

On 1/23/2022 at 6:57 PM, Quicksilver Signs said:

Tried this in the grading section to crickets.

There's a Facebook group that just released a book on stain removal which I have ordered. Using peroxide method for stain removal and blue LED light exposure in a light box. Blue LED is used to whiten teeth, over exposure will adversely effect the colour (yes, that is the proper way to spell colour)

Many books have already been through CGC with blue labels but some with too much of the methods got a PLOD like the batman pictured. It went from a 3.5 uni to a restored 3.5 at Voldemort's place (pics from the FB group)

As is the mantra of pro-pressers: you are not adding anything to the book, so it's not resto, apparently peroxide is used in the paper/print process. Exposing to light isn't really adding anything tangible 

The stain removal methods will remove foxing and stains so I'm very interested in that considering how harsh CGC is on foxing

https://www.amazon.com/Comic-Book-Stain-Removal-Whitening/dp/B09QJXBJ3X/?fbclid=IwAR0nbbMgcFLRtZ4RKGbcpAy1dh-2GAEIVkZEWNoAMSPfV5Ay6c9iQHxjt34

272367629_10101370452331188_1484029283439703653_n.jpg

271833793_10222907605931853_8113366416460201090_n.jpg

blue light does not really whiten teeth only UV can break double bonds.  peroxide can blister paper you you gotta be careful.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3179774

The $64,000 question is, if done properly, can it be detected?  I'm not taking a stance on resto or not, just, can CGC (and others) tell if it's from peroxide or if it's just a light stain (or stain that has lightened over time).  That seemed to be the reason for pressing being not-resto, because they can't tell how it got that way.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:25 AM, Stronguy said:

The $64,000 question is, if done properly, can it be detected?  I'm not taking a stance on resto or not, just, can CGC (and others) tell if it's from peroxide or if it's just a light stain (or stain that has lightened over time).  That seemed to be the reason for pressing being not-resto, because they can't tell how it got that way.

Yes, apparently many books already received a blue label. I have no skin in this game either, but there will be a ton of books coming to market that have used these methods, raw or slabbed. 
The old adage that if done properly, pressing can’t be detected is irrelevant because many books are obviously pressed and receive a blue label. 

On 1/24/2022 at 12:28 PM, s-dali said:

The peroxide deteriorates the paper fibers. Anyone doing this is ultimately damaging comics for a quick buck!!! They should be run out of the hobby.

well they use peroxide in paper production and recycling.

On 1/24/2022 at 3:28 PM, s-dali said:

The peroxide deteriorates the paper fibers. Anyone doing this is ultimately damaging comics for a quick buck!!! They should be run out of the hobby.

Wait … so THIS is the method some folks use to whiten/ clean a book without receiving a purple label from CGC? Oh boy this thread won’t last long . 😬

On 1/24/2022 at 2:44 PM, s-dali said:

Probably because it breaks down the cellulose fibers. It can also cause blistering in the paper.

http:// https://www.jstor.org/stable/3179774

Screenshot_20220124-144026_Chrome.jpg

According to the author the percentage of peroxide used will not harm the paper. The blue LED light is more so used to whiten paper. Light will leave no indication that it was used unless used too much.