• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on the 2021 value explosion across the board?
3 3

31 posts in this topic

Is this mainly due to the stimulus going out and all? I see pretty much across the board in April of 2021 values are going to the moon as if they were Gamestop stock. Hopefully they don't crash like it did. You guys think prices will hold, go up, or crash hard?

Just like anything there is an ebb and flow.  Prices will come down, but not as down as they once were. I really dont think the stimulus was the reason. Heck most people were out of work, and needed that money for food, rent,  etc. I do however think that people became bored with staying at home due to Covid. I frequent a Les Paul guitar forum as well, and there has been a boom in people buying guitars and wanting to learn how to play.  The comics will level off at some point.

On 1/24/2022 at 5:01 PM, oakman29 said:

Just like anything there is an ebb and flow.  Prices will come down, but not as down as they once were. I really dont think the stimulus was the reason. Heck most people were out of work, and needed that money for food, rent,  etc. I do however think that people became bored with staying at home due to Covid. I frequent a Les Paul guitar forum as well, and there has been a boom in people buying guitars and wanting to learn how to play.  The comics will level off at some point.

not Caps.

On 1/24/2022 at 5:01 PM, oakman29 said:

Correct. Stimulus had pretty much nothing to do with it.

As oakman said, there are other things people have taken up due to Covid.

For a while you just could not buy a new bicycle. Stores were just caught short.

And yes guitars. Has anyone else who has to do zoom calls how many are in the background? Pre-pandamic, Gibson Guitars and Guitar Center were close to bankruptcy. Due to the more electronic and vocal style type of current music, kids just wern’t playing like my generation. My local guitar store is always very busy now.

Covid has seriously affected our daily lives more than we can imagine. Life will return to normal when it finally passes. 

M2 is a measure of the U.S. money stock that includes M1 (currency and coins held by the non-bank public, checkable deposits, and travelers' checks) plus savings deposits (including money market deposit accounts), small time deposits under $100,000, and shares in retail money market mutual funds.

Check out the huge jump in both M2 magnitude (quantity/supply) and rate of change (slope) that occurred in early 2020.  Lots and lots and lots of "new" money looking for a home.  This has led to an increase in the prices paid for all types of collectibles and investments, not just comics.  The fact that Joe & Jane Average (the plebians) have not benefited from this continued expansion of M2 is irrelevant. 

M2.thumb.png.5ed57ae0b8f94eb4e096bb7ad1c6f95c.png

Covid made us reassess our lives, and it lead to some surprising new directions for some of us, be it new hobbies, fitness, whatever, work life, whatever. Our lives have changed and for a lot of people they aren't changing back anytime soon. We also faced our own mortality. I think money lost its value in a lot of people's eyes, and they became much more willing to splash the cash as a result of this newfound mental freedom, while their bodies were somewhat caged. 

On 1/24/2022 at 8:37 PM, Robot Man said:
On 1/24/2022 at 8:01 PM, oakman29 said:

Correct. Stimulus had pretty much nothing to do with it.

As oakman said, there are other things people have taken up due to Covid.

For a while you just could not buy a new bicycle. Stores were just caught short.

And yes guitars. Has anyone else who has to do zoom calls how many are in the background? Pre-pandamic, Gibson Guitars and Guitar Center were close to bankruptcy. Due to the more electronic and vocal style type of current music, kids just wern’t playing like my generation. My local guitar store is always very busy now.

Covid has seriously affected our daily lives more than we can imagine. Life will return to normal when it finally passes.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:11 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I took my $600 stimulus payment and bought a $25,000 comic book. :eyeroll:

Actually, stimulus money has a lot to do with it. 

You can't print trillions into an economy and expect it to not have an effect. That's ludicrous amounts of money and we've normalized it. The main reason we're experiencing the worst inflation in 40 years is because of this, and yet people wave it off and it's become normalized. It's not normal. It's insane. 

Stimulus money was not just lower class people getting a few $100 a week and spending it on beer and weed at home because they couldn't go out. Sure, my musician friends in LA have never been happier, getting more money to stay home than to play gigs, and they had their rent paid as well.

But the bigger companies and small businesses ALSO got stimulus money and many got more than they needed. That ended up pouring BILLIONS into the economy as these people spent money they didn't really need. 

My restaurant and bar owner friends, who got lots of stimulus money all tell me with a wink that 'they did really well' and 'have no complaints'

I have friends in LA that tell me all sorts of stories about how wealthy people were coming in and cashing 5 and 6 figure checks to buy jewelry for themselves.

If you drive around the Hollywood Hills where the ultra wealthy live, you could see that almost every other home was either a new build or getting renos that cost so much, would be enough for me and you to retire on. 

So, from our perspective it doesn't sound right that someone would get a few extra $100 a week to spend and the market would rise, but the wealthy got WAY more than we did and they did spend it.

Also, $1-2Trillion in Crypto money was pulled from the market last year. That money also came out of nothing and we saw more millionaires come into existence than any other time in history. THAT money went into the economy as well.

One of them bought the Staples Center name and named it after themselves. 

So, stimulus money ABSOLUTELY is the most likely cause for the cost of EVERYTHING going up and anybody who tells you otherwise has looked at the big picture.