• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess these grades

47 posts in this topic

Hello everyone I recently received my order back from cgc and curious think what everyone thinks these grades are? In order ASM 238 (Hobgoblin) ASM 252 (Black Suit) and ASM 361 (Carnage).. Want others opinions...grading is of course subjective and I understand that. I'll reveal the grades later this week. If you need more pictures or zoomed in or any questions about a mark on any books I'll gladly answer.  Thanks for the time

20220125_072441.jpg

20220125_072448.jpg

20220122_143056.jpg

20220122_143104.jpg

20220125_072624.jpg

20220125_072715.jpg

238 - I see two very fine spine ticks. 9.6

361 - three tiny spine ticks... tough call between 9.4 and 9.6. I'll go 9.6.

252 - three spine ticks including a larger one by staple. A little wear on top edge and bottom right corner. 9.2 

I wish all of you were grading my books lmao...  by chance is there a professional grader in the house that might wanna take stab? Someone that really has an eye for a grade? You guys are doing great... think you'll all be surprised on Friday 

Edited by Apg9176

On 1/25/2022 at 7:41 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

238 - I see two very fine spine ticks. 9.6

361 - three tiny spine ticks... tough call between 9.4 and 9.6. I'll go 9.6.

252 - three spine ticks including a larger one by staple. A little wear on top edge and bottom right corner. 9.2 

Agreed on all three

All three look great at a glance, but appear to have slight scuffs and dents (particularly on the backs) that will take down the technical grades. Hard to see these really well, but my guesses:

ASM 238 - 7.5

ASM 361 - 8.0

ASM 252 - 7.5

Point five maybe you can help me see the scuffs on the back? Other than the miswrap on the 238.. 361 doesn't seem like it's been touched? 252 I can see what you mean. I have another 361 that I can compare this grade 2 on Friday. I'll even take them side by side and you can guess which one is what

On 1/26/2022 at 11:20 PM, Point Five said:

All three look great at a glance, but appear to have slight scuffs and dents (particularly on the backs) that will take down the technical grades. Hard to see these really well, but my guesses:

ASM 238 - 7.5

ASM 361 - 8.0

ASM 252 - 7.5

Cool, thanks for the pics. Here's what I was seeing, though only after really looking for it:

238 -- looks like a bend to back cover, lower left corner? And a few light spots in the ad copy and to the right of 'Parker Brothers'... not sure if that's anything. (From the pics this one looks more yellowed than the others, kind of unusually so for an 80s book.)

361 -- definitely looks the nicest of the three. My grade of 8.0 last night was a bit harsh, maybe 8.5/9.0 range is closer to the mark, but back cover, upper left corner I see a few scuffs. 

252 -- top front cover has some light rumples. On the back cover, upper left corner seems to have a bit of smudging/streaking in the black ink, unless those are marks on the case.

238- Slight miswrap so not 9.8 for me. Looks sharp so 9.4 for me

361- nothing noticeable although the top left on the back appears to have some creases? dents? in the blue area. So I will say 9.4-9.6

252- staple stress, spine ticks. Reminds me of my 9.0 so I will say 9.0