• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulitzer Prize Winning Maus Censored By Tennessee School District
6 6

144 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, Randall Dowling said:

From my point of view, the people that consume that stuff are like junkies looking for more outrage for the dopamine hit.  It's a bad look.  I'm not a supporter of censorship, but at least in the short term, something has to be done.  Right now, we have 2 large, distinct groups in the population living in very different conflicting, perceptual realities.  And that's a lot worse for society than the response.  2c

The reason for any division is the hiding of information by either side. Both sides are trying to discover what the other side is hiding. 

So to me, the solution doesn't seem to be more hiding.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:30 AM, paqart said:

Not when they are functioning as agents for the government. Also, for the same reason a business is not allowed to turn away customers of a certain race or gender, business should not be allowed to utilize similarly discriminatory tests based on political ideology for platform access. For those who think that some perspectives are so awful that they must be squelched, remember that others likely feel the same way about you. 

Yep. This nails it. 

You have an agency that holds all the cards (government) and a communications platform that spans over half the civilized planet, and that platform is used to signal whatever the agency deems correct, this is an abuse of the system that does not allow open communication. 

The consequences have already shown recently on more than one occasion to be wrong, bordering on horrific. 

If there's one thing we should have learned in the last 2 years, it's that trying to cover information is not the correct way.