• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulitzer Prize Winning Maus Censored By Tennessee School District
6 6

144 posts in this topic

While not "banned" one of our local School Districts in the Seattle area removed "To Kill a Mockingbird" from the required reading list and bit of a kerfluffle in this blue state. I'll need to pick up a copy of Maus, haven't read it in a while. Thanks Tenn School Board for helping sales. 

On 1/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, rexinnih said:

While not "banned" one of our local School Districts in the Seattle area removed "To Kill a Mockingbird" from the required reading list and bit of a kerfluffle in this blue state. I'll need to pick up a copy of Maus, haven't read it in a while. Thanks Tenn School Board for helping sales. 

I remember when I had to read “To Kill a Mockingbird” in high school, 9th grade to be exact. Spoiler alert, there was a lot of upset parents. 

Here are the members of the McMinn County Schools of Tennesee

https://www.mcminnschools.com/staff?filter_ids=144993

I am not posting their home addresses or their personal information.  I am merely posting their public office phone numbers that invite people to send them a message.  

Remember that all ten of them unanimously voted to remove and ban the book.  Do not harass them at home or their family because their family is not responsible for their mindless stupidity and I am sure their children are embarrassed enough to be associated with all of this.

However, if you are an elected or public official, then you take that role knowing the public can contact you to voice their concern on public matters. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 8.58.55 AM.png

I'd love to know how much they read before deciding it needed to be banned. 

This isn't for graphic novels or historical fiction... this is the current ranking for ALL BOOKS on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/ref=pd_zg_ts_books

maus_amazon_20220131.png.0360012cfe34f631f05dd3d20bbf453d.png

(#1 is a new release from the past week)

Edited by valiantman

On 1/27/2022 at 9:03 PM, snitzer said:

Just like with Seuss on eBay and in Northern Virginia last year. Just plain wrong no matter where or why  (tsk)

I wouldn't compare the two since the Seuss books were not banned nor censored. From what I understand, no school has banned those books. I think the distinction is important if we are going to be discussing censorship.

Edited by William-James88

Imma just say that many of us saw this coming YEARS ago, talked about it on this forum and some of the people appalled in this thread even argued against that it was happening.  

We're living in turbulent times and it's emotion and vain ideology vs reason and logic. 

Which one wins is up in the air. 

On 1/31/2022 at 10:57 PM, William-James88 said:

I wouldn't compare the two since the Seuss books were not banned nor censored. From what I understand, no school has banned those books. I think the distinction is important if we are going to be discussing censorship.

Other books are being banned in record numbers in other counties, as Spiegelman noted with concern in his response to the furor over Maus:

Banned: Books on race and sexuality are disappearing from Texas schools in record numbers

Edited by namisgr

They must be feeling a bit  more emboldened than usual these days. God forbid a child isn’t allowed to read a book that expresses what this mentality flourishes in society. Sick, vile, mentally ill and this is not political it’s personal. I’m certain that there are many on these boards whom have or had family members or their friends that fought and possibly died during WW2 squelching the warped ideology of these  disgusting wannabes.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:23 AM, october said:

There are 300 million people in this country, so you are bound to end up with fringe nutcases. Obviously I wish they would crawl back under whichever slimy rock they call home, but what really disappoints me is the outsized media attention they get. Plays right into their hands and it's why deplatforming scum like this is so important. Hard to find other locals with these beliefs, but when you can reach across the internet you can find the like-minded and organize more effectively.

Totally agree that there are a bunch of crazy/nutcases in all walks of society.  I think we should push back with facts and expose people but in my opinion de-platforming people is never the answer.  First they will say that their crazy idea is some how real and dark forces are aligned against them and people will believe them since they have been driven underground.  Best way to expose bad ideas are to shine a light on them and discuss, are we really scared that flat earth folks will somehow prevail when they debate on the facts?  Second, the problem is that there is no way to operationalize and give someone the ability to shut down others.  It's too important to free speech, I don't trust anyone with that much power.  Even with the best intentions eventually every bad actor wouldn't want the power to silence the other side regardless of who, one political party, another government, the military, the media.  Because they would all want that power and we should never trust it to someone.  People would be afraid to talk about important things for fear of being silenced, it would be a huge mistake. 

On 2/1/2022 at 11:23 AM, october said:

what really disappoints me is the outsized media attention they get. Plays right into their hands 

Agreed. Apparently there are the same amount of people linked to conspiratorial groups now as there were before but you would think it's much more based on the media attention.

Edited by William-James88

On 2/1/2022 at 6:28 AM, namisgr said:

Other books are being banned in record numbers in other counties, as Spiegelman noted with concern in his response to the furor over Maus:

Banned: Books on race and sexuality are disappearing from Texas schools in record numbers

Eeeesh, thanks for that. Though I'm sure the Bible isn't banned and that book is filled with sex, like this awesome passage where God kills a guy for coming on the floor:

Then Judah said to Onan, “Go in to your brother's wife and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.” But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his. So whenever he went in to his brother's wife he would waste the semen on the ground, so as not to give offspring to his brother. And what he did was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and he put him to death also