• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay taking an additional 5% fee

16 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, 
I know it has been a long time since we posted on these boards. 

Not sure if anyone is aware of this.

Anyone who is making us any offers on eBay, we are no longer accepting any offers until eBay fixes this problem. EBay is taking an additional 5% fees for "items not as descibed" on all items that you sold starting Jan. 1, 2022.
We are declining offers & putting your offer on our website. (www.hotflips.com)
Ebay already takes out 11.7% + $0.30 per sale & now an additional 5% and we give Free shipping in the US states. If you sell $3,000 in sales, They are taking an additional $150. That money can be a phone bill, Groceries, 2 Tanks of gas (you get the picture)
According to the new ebay metric system, we have a high "Items not as decribed" rate of 12/800+ from Oct. 1 to Dec. 31. (we have helped all 12 (These people did not read the description when it clearly explains it) of them and they were satisfied with the outcome
That is 1% of 800+, so I guess 790 people who are satisfied with no complaints and the 100% positive feedback and being a model seller on eBay for 24 years and follows the rules doesn't mean anything.
This doesn't mean we are giving up eBay, We are no longer going to accept offers on ebay and placed somewhere else so you can purchase it and will not be adding anymore items up until this is resolved. Now we will be charging for shipping on if you buy it on eBay and for the same price we will give Free shipping on our website.
We have followed the rules and took care of all 12 of them & still getting penilized for this. Most of them DID NOT read the decription and you cannot force people to read or even a package leaving on time and wound up showing up late. Even with ebay's assistance, we are still getting blamed for something that is not in our control.
Check your fees on every item of yours from Jan 1. 2022

On 1/27/2022 at 2:43 PM, Rob said:

Hard to pass on all that traffic.

After being accused of putting a lower graded book into a slab (without breaking the slab) I have no faith in the current regular buyer, let alone eBays policy that every transaction gets a return, even if your policy is no returns

On 1/27/2022 at 1:51 PM, HOTFLIPS said:
Hello Everyone, 

Anyone who is making us any offers on eBay, we are no longer accepting any offers until eBay fixes this problem. EBay is taking an additional 5% fees for "items not as descibed" on all items that you sold starting Jan. 1, 2022.
Ebay already takes out 11.7% + $0.30 per sale & now an additional 5% and we give Free shipping in the US states. If you sell $3,000 in sales, They are taking an additional $150. That money can be a phone bill, Groceries, 2 Tanks of gas (you get the picture)
According to the new ebay metric system, we have a high "Items not as decribed" rate of 12/800+ from Oct. 1 to Dec. 31. (we have helped all 12 (These people did not read the description when it clearly explains it) of them and they were satisfied with the outcome
That is 1% of 800+, so I guess 790 people who are satisfied with no complaints and the 100% positive feedback and being a model seller on eBay for 24 years and follows the rules doesn't mean anything.
This doesn't mean we are giving up eBay, We are no longer going to accept offers on ebay and placed somewhere else so you can purchase it and will not be adding anymore items up until this is resolved. Now we will be charging for shipping on if you buy it on eBay and for the same price we will give Free shipping on our website.
We have followed the rules and took care of all 12 of them & still getting penilized for this. Most of them DID NOT read the decription and you cannot force people to read or even a package leaving on time and wound up showing up late. Even with ebay's assistance, we are still getting blamed for something that is not in our control.

Were you informed of this additional 5% charge by eBay or were you investigating your orders and found it yourself?

On 1/27/2022 at 2:51 PM, HOTFLIPS said:
Hello Everyone, 

This is kind of confusing, what so you mean that you will post offers on your website? 

btw, you can appeal defects, have you tried that?

So it's basically a 5% penalty because you had so many returns?

Am I reading this right?

Out of 800 sales - 12 were returned as item 'not as described' by the buyers. So ebay applied a punitive fee to try to get you to not have so many returns?

On 1/27/2022 at 5:00 PM, Beige said:

Am I reading this right?

Out of 800 sales - 12 were returned as item 'not as described' by the buyers. So ebay applied a punitive fee to try to get you to not have so many returns?

No, I believe he is saying that "Item not as described" is one of the buyer feedbacks, and ebay metrics require that you stay below a certain % or it impacts your fee %.

Items not as described may not have been returned, and from the sounds of it the issues were actually resolved with the customer to their satitsfaction.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:00 PM, Beige said:

Am I reading this right?

5% penalty because eBay had to get involved in reports of items "not as described".

I'm sure the fee is to get people to describe their items better.

You have to figure out what exactly people are expecting from you on your listings and fix it. Are you showing 4 or 5 packs of bags and then your description says only 1 for sale?  You can't add multiple items in a picture if the customer is only getting 1 pack of bags or boards.  People look at pictures and price, not descriptions, general public has A.D.D so you have to make your listings stupid proof.  Make the type in your listings big and bold, Use bullet points so it's easy to read and understand.  

We were never made aware of this. After speaking to reps on eBay for over a month, Nothing was done about it. We are still having 5% more taken out. I was told by one of their reps that eBay is now enforcing a Metric system. This Metric system, does not recognize that we have had flawless feedback, great customer service & a model eBay seller does not mean a thing

We looked up the 12 buyers that filed a complaint & it was from the last quarter from October 1-Dec 31, 2021. We actually took care of all 12 and were satisfied with the outcome and that was still held against us. 

For example, A few of these buyers bought a JTC Action Figure Variant covers, The picture looks like an action figure but we all know it is a comic book and the cover is a DRAWING of the action figure, I have it written in the description in large Bold & underline exactly what it is. This is NOT an action Figure, This is a Comic Book. It is a drawing of an action figure

There are a lot of sellers that I spoke to and they were not aware of this at all and they were all fuming. I will not mention names, but one of them did over 40K in the month of January (this year) and an additional $2,000 in fees was taken out.

We are slowly taking stuff down and after a long wait for our CGC slabs that we were going to post as a No reserve auction, We will not be doing that until this is resolved. Right now, we have been posting stuff on our website. If you see something, let us know. Lately we have been doing well with that. 

We will be on eBay for now because it is still a great advertising tool, But it is their platform. There are other avenues besides ebay and It has been on the decline this past year for us.