• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maus banned
1 1

81 posts in this topic

Glad I don’t live in Tennessee…

"I'm kind of baffled by this,… I also understand that Tennessee is obviously demented," said Spiegelman. "There's something going on very, very haywire there."

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/01/26/tennessee-school-board-bans-holocaust-comic-maus-by-art-spiegelman.html

I remember when Maus came out in the early 90s.  A friend recommended it and I devoured it (I wish I still had that original copy, but I had the habit of giving great books like that away to friends so they could read it).  History class was my least favorite class in High School (bad teacher), so my grasp of WWII was hazy except for "Nazis bad, US & allies good".  I had no nuance or depth to what was going on. You don't get that from watching reruns of Hogan's Heroes.  I was out of HS when this Maus came out, but I remember thinking it should be required reading for students.  The Graphic Novel format really worked for an Attention Deficit guy like me.  Remember how impactful Schindler's List was?  Well Maus came out 2 years before that film and was just as impactful to me.

Tennessee??? :facepalm: :tonofbricks:

Edited by gadzukes

Apparently, it started with some parents objecting to 8 words and a picture. Then, one of the Board members decided that 8th graders should generally be protected from anything involving the Holocaust. I wonder if 8th graders are taught about our use of internment camps for Japanese Americans?

Remember the controversy about Huckleberry Finn and the use of the word “N****” before Jim? Same fundamental problem.
I guess that’s why they still read Shakespeare in schools. The language is too archaic for the parents to pick up on all the naughty slang and naughtier concepts. 

This whole story has been sensationalized. The book wasn’t banned, it’s simply being replaced in a lone subject’s curriculum (8th grade language arts). In fact, it may not be replaced at all if the school district can’t find a better alternative.

The good part about this is that more Maus books are being sold which is never a bad thing.

On the flip side, these are children who are 12. If you read the quotes the decision-makers thought it wasn't age appropriate so it's not a banning so much as probably not the right age group. 

Everything is so polarized, the board members went out of their way to say how important and valuable the book is. There's no reason to call them Nazi's, (which completely diminishes the horrors of the very book people are claiming to support).  

On 1/30/2022 at 5:35 PM, Ryan. said:

1986 is when the collected editions were released. I still have my copies that I bought over twenty years ago. 

I had a feeling @gadzukes timeliness was off.

I first came to know about Maus as an eight year old in the late 80s. I had joined my local library which came with a well stocked graphic novel section. I was even  more intrigued as they only let people of 13 years and older borrow graphic novels! 'Comics for adults' I thought,  bring it on! Well, I avoided reading  Maus at that time as it looked way too depressing. Thankfully after 30+ years, I was still into graphic novels and managed to pick up a collected edition.

On 1/30/2022 at 3:17 PM, Gatsby77 said:

We read both Diary of Anne Frank and John Hersey's Hiroshima in my 7th grade English class.

To say that Maus isn't appropriate for 8th graders is preposterous.

Excessive and inappropriate sensitivity is the biggest problem, with a little leaning towards those “nice white men in their clean white sheets”.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:09 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Apparently, it started with some parents objecting to 8 words and a picture. Then, one of the Board members decided that 8th graders should generally be protected from anything involving the Holocaust. I wonder if 8th graders are taught about our use of internment camps for Japanese Americans?

Remember the controversy about Huckleberry Finn and the use of the word “N****” before Jim? Same fundamental problem.
I guess that’s why they still read Shakespeare in schools. The language is too archaic for the parents to pick up on all the naughty slang and naughtier concepts. 

Minorities dictating to the majority?  History shouldn't be airbrushed out . . . it's there to learn lessons from.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, Ryan. said:

1986 is when the collected editions were released. I still have my copies that I bought over twenty years ago. 

Yeah, my timing was off..... I was given the book to read by a coworker "back in the old days" :preach:  It must have been the late 80s.

It really made an impact on me.

Edited by gadzukes