• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS HONOR AMONG THIEVES movie (3/31/23)
2 2

93 posts in this topic

South by Southwest (SXSW) Conference and Festivals dropped its initial lineup for the 30th edition of the SXSW Film & TV Festival including the Opening Night film, Feature and Short Competitions, Midnighters and XR Experience.

The festival will open with Paramount Pictures and eOne’s “Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves,” directed and co-written by Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley. A group filled with unlikely adventurers and a charming thief journey to find a lost relic, and the plot thickens as the band runs into conflict with the wrong people. The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Hugh Grant, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, Chloe Coleman and Daisy Head.

SXSW 2023 will run March 10-19, and the complete lineup will be announced in early February.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, media_junkie said:

Wonder if all the hub-bub and flak WOTC introduced with their "leaked OGL change" will have any affect on this movie.  Lots of DnD people seem to be up in arms.

I get so confused nowadays with what the latest outrage topic is against a movie or show. Even with Avatar 2 where a Native American group was demanding it be banned. I had to look this one up.

Critics of Dungeons And Dragons manage to get "BoycottDNDMovie" trending online

For a few months now, there’s been a serious controversy brewing in the world of Dungeons & Dragons, as fans began to hear rumblings from D&D owner Wizards Of The Coast (itself owned by Hasbro) about upcoming changes to the games’ Open Game License, an expansive document that allows third-party publishers to use elements from the Dungeons & Dragons rulebooks—classes, spells, and monsters, for instance, but also base gameplay rules, like rolling a 20-sided die to resolve attacks or skill checks—for their own content.

Rumors (spurred on by leaked documents) that the OGL might be revoked, or significantly altered, in the near future have already produced multiple apologies from WoTC, as well as real financial consequences, with reports that users have canceled their subscriptions to the company’s online D&D Beyond service in response to the reports. And then, today, angry users managed to get #BoycottDNDMovie at least briefly trending on Twitter.

Time will tell what impact this has.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

I get so confused nowadays with what the latest outrage topic is against a movie or show. Even with Avatar 2 where a Native American group was demanding it be banned. I had to look this one up.

Critics of Dungeons And Dragons manage to get "BoycottDNDMovie" trending online

Time will tell what impact this has.

Yeah, I'm not huge into the DnD community, but this change to the OGL that was leaked seemed to be a pretty big deal.  As well as the leaked "rumors" that Hasbro/WOTC was looking to increase the DnD Beyond subscription price from like $5/$10 a month to $30 a month.  And lets be honest, at this point for a DnD movie you really need the goodwill of actual DnD fans.