• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS HONOR AMONG THIEVES movie (3/31/23)
2 2

93 posts in this topic

See, this movie was fun.  Nothing too deep, but I don't go for that.  It was even reasonably smart.  The people in this movie didn't just do incredibly stupid things for no reason except the plot needed them too.  

Yes, there was more than one rather...convenient coincidence.  But - given this is specifically a D&D movie - acquiring randomly useful magical items, and having characters with randomly useful knowledge/lore, is kind of right on theme.  

A couple of thoughts:

I liked that this movie didn’t rely on Orcs and Goblins. The monsters were varied like the game. 

I also liked how the dialogue mirrored the kinds of conversations you might hear during a D&D game…”Exactly Five questions?  That sounds kind of arbitrary”. 

Saw this yesterday as part of a double feature with 'Air' and enjoyed it a lot.  A high 'B' or low 'B+' seems about right, but it was really consistent tonally with plenty of laughs and fun characters.  I too enjoyed figuring out which spells were being cast at any given time, and appreciated that they didn't hit the audience over the head with those names.  Effects were also 'B-level' -- not great, not bad -- but that was also on point for the vibe they were going for.  Definitely decent escapist entertainment with a heart.

Dan