• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS HONOR AMONG THIEVES movie (3/31/23)
2 2

93 posts in this topic

Ok, so I finally caught this film today on Paramount+.  Leaps and bounds better than the one back in the day with the Wayan brother.  I enjoyed it because it was just a fun film, no "heavy lifting" when it came to plot or story, just sit back and enjoy.  Was fun trying to catch all the little DnD things that were spread throughout the movie.  I would be willing to watch another one, but based on box office I think this just may be a one and done thing.

Just watched it myself, and it was a really nice to just be watching something that was just naturally funny and not trying too hard to be ironic or meta about it. It really felt like how it feels to play right from the beginning; "Jarnathan" really caught me by surprise and made me laugh just by his name alone. Given how sequels have been going for the last decade, I'd be okay with it being a one and done. After the studio execs smell blood, they'll never give the crew as much freedom as this one had to make another fun, unrelated movie. Unless they went in an anthology direction like Knives Out/Glass Onion, then maybe they could squeak out another good adventure.

Really enjoyed this, and I am a hater of lots of movies (MCU, I am looking at you, directly in the eyes as I say "You stink"). Honestly, I laughed more during this than 90% of comedy movies. It had a million great references to those that know D&D and yet my partner who knows nothing of nerddom also loved it. All the creatures were fun but my favorite nod was including the cast of the D&D cartoon from the 80's getting their silverscreen time. No exposition just some other "party of adventurers" in the background mainly. The creators didn't go out of their way to jam this into the story, which was refreshing.  (SIDERANT UP AHEAD! remember seeing the movie Solo, and going in I was thinking they better not show the damned Kessel run nor how he won the Millennium Falcon. They couldn't resist, They cannot help themselves. The art of storytelling, done away with in two brushstrokes.) I really loved the character Michelle played, and while not totally different than the characters she often portrays, still there was some nuance there. If the studio could avoid Ghostbusters IIi-ng, Minions II-ing this, I would watch another D&D movie.

I'm going to say that Baldur's Gate 3 has brought me (and many gamers) back to D&D's Forgotten Realms.
I foresee this getting 'bigger' but they need to keep the budget in check.

Heck, Hallmark even made a Themberchaud ornament this year.
https://www.hallmark.com/ornaments/keepsake-ornaments/dungeons-and-dragons-honor-among-thieves-themberchaud-ornament-with-light-2499QXI7547.html