• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wavy CGC top banner?
3 3

20 posts in this topic

Its not common but definitely not unusual.  I've had several with a wavy banner.  I didn't even bother having them reholdered but thats certainly an option if it bothers you.  When you have a book reholdered you send it in to be encapsulated again and it keeps the current grade...  Unless CGC feels it needs to be regraded.  I've seen a couple of cases where a book was damaged and was regraded during a reholder.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:44 PM, KCode98 said:

What would cause the top banner on a CGC case be wavy almost like it got wet? Is it possible to keep the grade, send in to CGC for repairs or something? Looks very odd, haven't seen this before.

Could be humidity. 

Hopefully not affecting the book, which should be sealed.

I have a book with a very wavy label but I won't bother getting it fixed because there is no way that book would again get the 9.8 it didn't deserve the first time through. 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 2/2/2022 at 7:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are we talking about that super-thin label on the top-top?

On 2/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, KCode98 said:

Yes the label that has the grade, page color, etc

My "super-thin label on the top-top" does not have the page color, just the title of the comic and grade.  It's a fold-over from the front label, so can't be wavy. 

Maybe you have an older slab, if they were different way back when?  A photo would not leave us clueless here.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:44 PM, KCode98 said:

What would cause the top banner on a CGC case be wavy almost like it got wet? Is it possible to keep the grade, send in to CGC for repairs or something? Looks very odd, haven't seen this before.

You should always post a pic with a question like this. 

On 2/2/2022 at 5:49 PM, KCode98 said:
On 2/2/2022 at 6:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are we talking about that super-thin label on the top-top?

Yes the label that has the grade, page color, etc

Each CGC graded book has two labels. 

He's asking if you are referring to the tiny thin label you can see when looking at the top thin edge of the CGC case as you look at it from the top down (like when the book is in a comic box with other books and all you can see is the top edge).

I believe you are probably talking about the regular large label you can see when looking directly at the books cover.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:13 AM, KirbyJack said:

My wavy label 

7C9BB4A6-AA5C-4FEB-B3CC-4A1F3153CE7C.thumb.jpeg.88eeabef0d602f385f56ab39c418444f.jpeg

Yes, that is the main label, not the top strip label.  It does look very wavy, maybe from humidity.  It was graded 10 years ago, so who knows???

You can send it in for a reholder, if you want to invest the money.  The grade should stay the same, barring any shipping damage on the way to FL.

You might be better off having it pressed to get rid of that spine roll.  You could press screen it, so if they don't think pressing will help the grade, they just reholder it.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:13 AM, KirbyJack said:

My wavy label 

sound like a good record label name.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:13 AM, KirbyJack said:

I like that it matches my wavy comic.

CGC should do more 'label matches book' labels.  maybe like a popped staple label, trimmed label etc.