• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Birthday IMAGE!
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I'm glad it happened, from a creator standpoint!  Like so many endeavors, it's been interesting to see what's become of the band of brothers who set out on their own.  Lee over at DC (Declining Comics), Liefeld out, etc.  I guess Moore's run on Supreme is the closest we'll all ever get to an extended run on Superman!  

Never a huge fan of 90s Image, but the modern version of the company evolved from that and has produced many excellent comic series, and has become one of my favourites.

As bad as this book is, it'll probably have a place in my collection for a long time. The first Image comicbook.

1547639238_Youngblood1.thumb.jpg.591198193ffc2648ec496ef28ff130a9.jpg

I remember being so hyped about this new company and direction. The founders really disappointed me. I stuck around collecting for a few more years but early Image contributed to my first exit from the hobby.

Man they've come a long way in 30 years. 

Warning: do NOT get nostalgic and try and read the original WILDC.A.T.S run. I bought the Absolute Edition when it came out, for the gorgeous Jim Lee art, and tried giving it a reread for the first time, and it's just trash. Don't punish yourself. Let early Youngblood do that for you. 

On 2/2/2022 at 12:24 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Warning: do NOT get nostalgic and try and read the original WILDC.A.T.S run. I bought the Absolute Edition when it came out, for the gorgeous Jim Lee art, and tried giving it a reread for the first time, and it's just trash.

Damn, DC usually only publishes great stuff in the Absolute format.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:22 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Damn, DC usually only publishes great stuff in the Absolute format.

Well the art's great. The story is..... it's.....I mean...... can we change the topic? 

On 2/2/2022 at 8:29 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Well the art's great.

That's probably the driving factor behind the Absolute format, since they're oversized.

Isn't All-Star Batman & Robin considered trash, too? I have all of the Batman Absolutes, but neither of the B&R ones.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:36 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's probably the driving factor behind the Absolute format, since they're oversized.

Isn't All-Star Batman & Robin considered trash, too? I have all of the Batman Absolutes, but neither of the B&R ones.

Yeah, All-star B & R is pretty bad. Not WildC.A.T.S. bad, but still bad. Again, it's all about the art, and that Lee's visual storytelling had vastly improved by then, and it was on display in this series (iirc). 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 2/3/2022 at 4:58 AM, Aaarrgghh! said:

So it's just the Lee stuff? You should check out the later Alan Moore/Travis Charest issues.

Yeah I've got the old undersized softcover 'omnibus' they printed of that material. Great Moore story, great Charest art, that was the stuff.