• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 3
12 12

312 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2022 at 10:36 PM, Comics4All said:

Anyway. it's always a fun time with you folks! 

I remember my 1st grading contest with @thirdgreenham & I knew next to nothing about grading! 

Flash forward to now & i am hitting bullseyes ! 

:takeit:

Nice to see improvements! :applause: 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:45 PM, Point Five said:

Nice!  (thumbsu

I swear, I have this uncanny ability to be *one grade off* almost across the board, no matter whether it's undergrading or overgrading. Every time we do the grading contests with the 5/3/1/-1 scoring, I have more 3s than anyone in the top third or so.

Nothing worng with being 1 grade off!

Very consistent!

On 2/14/2022 at 8:30 PM, Jstan70 said:

How in the actual %*^& does that Wings get a 3.0???  I have a Flash 139 that's graded at a 2.0 that looks worlds better than that thing!  SMH  Man, these GA books are KILLING me!

That’s what I thought. I had it at 2.0

Was 0.5 generous on Beware

Was a grade harsh on Atom and Surfer

nailed the hulk (schwing)

When grading this batch I thought that the Beware had a detached cover. It was only after submitting my guesses that I thought Mike would've probably told us as much in the description. I'm glad I still was only off by a grade.

Again, this round no bulleyes like in the previous ones and I was a grade off on each book. I'm happy with that. I'm not convinced that if these books were graded on a Wednesday as opposed to a Tuesday or this week as opposed last week my guesses wouldn't have been spot on.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:50 PM, grendelbo said:

When grading this batch I thought that the Beware had a detached cover. It was only after submitting my guesses that I thought Mike would've probably told us as much in the description. I'm glad I still was only off by a grade.

Again, this round no bulleyes like in the previous ones and I was a grade off on each book. I'm happy with that. I'm not convinced that if these books were graded on a Wednesday as opposed to a Tuesday or this week as opposed last week my guesses wouldn't have been spot on.

Pretty sure the Wings was graded on a Friday and the Silver Surfer on a Monday. hm 

On 2/14/2022 at 5:34 PM, Axelrod said:

Well, maybe, not a total bomb after all.  The only real miss was the Atom.  Hugely overgraded that stain.

I think I score 5 for this round.   

The stain goes thru entire book as it is seen on both front and back covers.

On 2/14/2022 at 5:34 PM, JohnH19 said:

No idea how that copy of Wings got a 3.0 with that spine split. I gave it a 2.0. I gave Beware a 4.0 and the last three were bullseyes for a Round 3 total of 3 points. Unfortunately, I had 15 points in the first two rounds.doh!

A 2.0 is a very ragged book.  I've seen 2.0s with large chunks of cover missin.  For me a 3.0 is a book i would want to own, a 2.0 is too ragged for me.

my grades: 
wings 3.0

beware 4.5
atom 4.0
silver surfer 8.5
hulk 4.5
On 2/14/2022 at 6:36 PM, Comics4All said:

WTF on the IH 181?

How is that so low of a grade?

likewise wtf

On 2/14/2022 at 10:27 PM, thirdgreenham said:

I'll have 15 points (I'm pretty sure) after the end of Round 3.  Don't think that's quite enough to crack the Top 10.

Congrats to all participants, there were some good books in this contest. :applause: 

You are under 4 points over me.  Not too bad.  Too many tricks and inside downs had caused chaos for everyone here.

Edited by JollyComics

wing s #1 1.8    I agree 3.0 crazy spine split must be that golden age rarity 

beware #10 4.0. splitting hairs here 

atom #1 6.0. ok the back cover stain I forgave only because it s not a common book and I wasn't going. by overstreet

silver surfer #1 8.5.   my only bullseye of the tournament . I was leaning toward s 9.0 since the spine was really nice then I saw the color breaks on the other edge of the front cover. 

Incredible Hulk 4.5.  I was just going by that fact that its a key  I was nt sure if that top piece on the cover was torn off or not 😟I guess it was . that wings is way worse Than that #181 tho the pain of golden age