• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 3
12 12

312 posts in this topic

@CGC Mike I think future contests contestants should be able to play all 4 rounds.  People love football movies where the losing team makes a win in the last quarter.
Imagine if super bowl was decided at end of third quarter!  :pullhair:

On 2/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, Harold Lee Sosa said:

wing s #1 1.8    I agree 3.0 crazy spine split must be that golden age rarity 

No-thats a legit grade for spine split even in SA book-a 1.8 is a disaster.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:44 PM, kav said:

No-thats a legit grade for spine split even in SA book-a 1.8 is a disaster.

The problem is that all grading scales said that FA/GA 1.5 with between 2" and 2/3 split of the spine.  The grading scales NEVER says about the age catagory (GA, SA, BA, MA).

I was torn between 1.8 to 2.5 but 3.0 on Wings with nearly half spine was split that flipped me.

Edited by JollyComics

On 2/14/2022 at 8:53 PM, JollyComics said:

The problem is that all grading scales said that FA/GA 1.5 with between 2" and 2/3 split of the spine.  The grading scales NEVER says about the age catagory (GA, SA, BA, MA).

I was torn between 1.8 to 2.5 but 3.0 on Wings with nearly half spine was split that flipped me.

An otherwise 10.0 or 9.6 with a 2" to 2/3 spine split is not a 1.5.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:53 PM, JollyComics said:

The problem is that all grading guides said that FA/GA 1.5 with between 2" and 2/3 split of the spine.  The grading guide NEVER says about the age catagory (GA, SA, BA, MA).

200-6.gif.e484a5ddc43e25cdd7594f7989a99187.gif

Looking on the Bright Side (aka When Life Hands You Lemons):

Back in the mid-2000s, a fellow who had submitted hundreds of books to CGC told me the "trick" to avoiding disappointment was to max out your invoices rather than submit only a few books.  "Sometimes you'll be higher than CGC, and sometimes you'll be lower; but if you're a decent grader, your average grade should come pretty close to CGC's."

In this contest, I hit the bullseye (0) six times, was one grade increment too tight (+1) four times, was one grade increment too loose (-1) once, was two grade increments too tight (+2) twice, was two grade increments too loose (-2) once, and was three grade increments too loose (-3) once (Book 7, the Lawbreakers #11 :pullhair: ).  If we allow our grade increment deviations from CGC to be signed (+ = too tight; - = too loose), my cumulative 15-book score would be +2.

On average, I was less than one-seventh of one grade increment tighter than CGC:whatthe:  That's a result I can live with!  :headbang:  Especially since I strongly doubt I'll be in the top ten!  lol

On 2/14/2022 at 11:53 PM, JollyComics said:

Yep, I was thinking along the same lines with that spine split, and thus graded the book 1.8.  Eek.  

It’s like déjà vu all over again with round one. I under graded everything.

According to the Overstreet grading guide, the highest grade a book with a spine split that long could get is 1.5. I know CGC doesn’t follow Overstreet to the letter, but there appears to be huge disparities. The incredible hulk 181 was a joke too. Gift grade. An 8.5 with a big color breaking thumb crease on edge? 

It was fun and very eye-opening. Back in the day I always did very well in these contests and typically placed high enough to get prizes. I don’t know if I’ve gotten tighter or CGC standards have evolved. ???

On 2/15/2022 at 4:27 AM, thirdgreenham said:

I'll have 15 points (I'm pretty sure) after the end of Round 3.  Don't think that's quite enough to crack the Top 10.

Congrats to all participants, there were some good books in this contest. :applause: 

One better than me - I didn't sign up but have been playing along anyway and scored 16 over the first three rounds. Not too bad. 

• Administrator
On 2/14/2022 at 11:38 PM, kav said:

@CGC Mike I think future contests contestants should be able to play all 4 rounds.  People love football movies where the losing team makes a win in the last quarter.
Imagine if super bowl was decided at end of third quarter!  :pullhair:

When the contest is over, we are going to discuss what can be done to make this a better contest.  Everyone competing until the end is something definitely worth talking about.  We will also be discussing ways to make sure everyone knows when a contest ends and another one begins.  Many people do not like to follow the threads.  I will also find out what's going on with the scan size, as many aren't able to enlarge them.