• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 180 no stamp grade universal grade question
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Curious for some info.

Sent in my  sons Hulk 180 . Value stamp missing. I figured was a 2.5 or 3.0 figured it would come back an apparent grade due to no stamp which I have seen but came back a universal 1.0 due to no stamp.  

Why would this not come back an apparent grade,  just curious. thank you.

Apparent refers to an attempt to make the comic look better, Restored to a better grade.

Maybe with the stamp, it would have been a 2.0 ish book, and with that missing, they hit it and brought it down??

I have an ASM 2 with a missing page, does not affect story.  .5 Universal label. Otherwise, the book looks like a 2.0ish copy.

I am of the understanding that a request can be made for the higher grade qualified label, or the lower grade blue label, but not sure.

Sorry meant qualified grade.  Green label. Would prefer that but there was no option for that.  I sent his book in with the assumption it would have gotten green label.  I mean could even be a 4.0  green 4.0 sounds nicer then a blue 1.0.  

Edited by spidrvacc

On 2/10/2022 at 4:54 AM, zzutak said:

You cannot ask CGC to assign a Qualified Grade to a beater.  You cannot ask CGC to violate its own proprietary grading policies.  (tsk)

That is unless you pay CGC to partake in some stupid gimmick, like "invisible" comics, so you can make a quick buck off of the stupid.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:06 PM, Artboy99 said:

the book should be either a green label of apparent grade or a 0.5 blue with missing mvs /incomplete in my opinion.

He needs to put some tape on the cover.

CGC Cert #
Title
Incredible Hulk
Issue
Issue Date
11/74
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE
Grade Date
12/11/2018
Grade Category
Qualified
Label Text
""Marvel Value Stamp"" missing from page 10, does not affect story. Tape on cover, interior cover & interior. INCOMPLETE
Art Comments
Len Wein story
Herb Trimpe and Jack Abel art
Herb Trimpe cover
Key Comments
1st full appearance of Wolverine.
Wendigo appearance.
Grader Notes
heavy coloring front cover
marvel value stamp missing from page(s) 10
tape cover
tape interior
tape interior cover

On 2/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, Chief1332 said:

I have an ASM 2 with a missing page, does not affect story.  .5 Universal label. Otherwise, the book looks like a 2.0ish copy.

I am of the understanding that a request can be made for the higher grade qualified label, or the lower grade blue label, but not sure.

About five years ago, I almost bought an ASM 3 in a .5 yellow SS slab.

They didn't have green SS labels when it was graded.

It was very clearly a 7.5ish looking book, missing only the pin up page.

THAT was a dumb way to grade the comic.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:34 AM, sledgehammer said:
Grade Category
Qualified
Label Text
""Marvel Value Stamp"" missing from page 10, does not affect story. Tape on cover, interior cover & interior. INCOMPLETE

If this book was really intended to be assigned a Qualified Grade and encapsulated with a Green Label, the Label Text would be entirely in caps.  The fact that the Label Text is in both uppercase and lowercase indicates that this book was actually assigned a Universal (Blue Label) Grade of 0.5.  The Grade Category should read Universal.  This is a simple inattentiveness-type error (as opposed to a grading policy error).  This is the type of processing mistake that's super easy to spot by looking at the label (is the label text all caps or not).  The QA/QC folks whiffed.  :pullhair:

181-Q94.thumb.jpg.57e3072d9599032c7402905ed156463e.jpg

Beater copies get qualified grades.

CGC Cert #
Title
Incredible Hulk
Issue
Issue Date
11/74
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
06/22/2021
Grade Category
Qualified
Label Text
Marvel Value Stamp missing from page 10, does not affect story. Centerfold & page 7 detached. PAGE 10 MARRIED & DETACHED. INCOMPLETE
Art Comments
Len Wein story
Herb Trimpe cover
Key Comments
1st full appearance of Wolverine.
Wendigo appearance.
Grader Notes
married page(s) 10
marvel value stamp missing from page(s) 10 does not affect story
moderate, multiple crease cover breaks color
multiple stain cover

On 2/10/2022 at 9:10 AM, sledgehammer said:

A low-grade book will receive a Qualified Grade for a variety of reasons -- one of which is having a married cover or pages.  In my opinion, CGC's treatment of books with married components would best be examined in a separate thread, as this is really beyond the scope of the question posed by the OP.  :foryou:

On 2/10/2022 at 11:39 AM, zzutak said:
On 2/10/2022 at 11:10 AM, sledgehammer said:

A low-grade book will receive a Qualified Grade for a variety of reasons -- one of which is having a married cover or pages.  In my opinion, CGC's treatment of books with married components would best be examined in a separate thread, as this is really beyond the scope of the question posed by the OP.  :foryou:

I haven't seen a scan, or grader's notes yet on the OP's comic book, but even this copy doesn't quite fit what you say (4.0 or higher) was CGC doctrine as of 2018.

Pretty close tho (3.5), as is a IH 182 that I found. Also saw an ASM 135 3.0 that was graded the last week of 2017.

So maybe they had changed their policy, as of Aug '18, from that last week in 2017.

So maybe he has a case to make, and maybe he doesn't.

In my mind, the fact that they would grade a 2.5 as "Blue", with no stamp, and a 3.5 as "Green" with no stamp, is pretty goofy.

It's also pretty goofy that GPA shows  2.5 Blue incompletes selling for more than regular 2.5s.

Someone paid $3,100 for an incomplete IH 181 2.5 Blue last year, approximately the high water mark for standard Blue 2.5s.

Buyer beware I guess.

CGC Cert #
Title
Incredible Hulk
Issue
Issue Date
10/74
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
10/19/2021
Grade Category
Qualified
Label Text
""MARVEL VALUE STAMP"" MISSING FROM PAGE 10, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY. INCOMPLETE
Art Comments
Len Wein story
Herb Trimpe cover
Key Comments
1st appearance of Wolverine in
cameo on last page.
Wendigo appearance.
Grader Notes
heavy creasing to cover
marvel value stamp missing from page(s) 10 does not affect story
spine stress lines breaks color
very small, multiple tape pull front cover
Edited by sledgehammer

Just curious. Don't want anyone inferring something sinister.

Why would their policy have changed on that from the time that an IH 181 3.0 Green in 2007 happened?

If you reread my first post to this thread, you'll see I used the word "should" rather than "will":

On 2/10/2022 at 2:54 AM, zzutak said:

Incomplete books that are otherwise 3.5 VG- or lower should receive a Universal (Blue Label) Grade.

This is because some CGC graders are more attentive than others.  While all graders are (supposedly) guided by the same grading rubric, there's now abundant evidence that these grading benchmarks/guidelines/rules are not always applied/followed in the same manner.  The exact same book can receive different grades from different graders (or different grades from a single grader on different days).  The fact that we can find exceptions to a given CGC grading standard does not mean that the standard does not exist.

I really wish that CGC's grading was was completely (100.00%) consistent and that their QA/QC staff caught each and every mistake made by the folks upstream.  But we're dealing with humans with various degrees of sharpness, attention to detail, and motivation.  CGC does not have the same level of consistency today as it did in 2000.  Can you remember back to the "old" days when three different graders evaluated each book?  Good times!

Edited by zzutak
Typo Fixed !

So the OP has every right to ask why he didn't get the grade he was expecting.

It's not like there are dozens of examples of this on GPA for IH 180 and 181.

If GPA shows examples of what to expect, and the census shows 25 Qualified copies graded 3.5 or lower, he has every right to ask them what the deal is.

He paid for a grade, and there's evidence that he could have expected a certain result.

Maybe he's way off base, and the book wasn't remotely close to being the VG copy as he thought.

He wasn't clued in to Bradley's info the way that you are.

Fair enough?

Edited by sledgehammer