• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

24 graded comics, 15 with air bubbles

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I guess this is a topic that has already been covered, however after 7 months I have just received the 24 comics I had sent for evaluation and 15 of them show evident signs of something that seems 'oily' but maybe it is air bubbles. Does anyone know CGC's 'politics' in the face of these cases? Honestly, it is evident that these are 'defective' comics, which for example will be difficult to resell, because I am very accurate in the descriptions and I myself would not buy a comic in a similar situation. Can anyone give me some advice? (I don't live in the USA) thank you very much!

Edited by Simone saracchi

the phenomenon you refer to are Newton Rings

reach out to CGC customer service .... they will probably ask for pictures and if they deem the book to have issues they should issue a return label for a mechanical error and will reholder

bad thing is you will have to wait again for them to return back to you again

good luck

On 2/10/2022 at 8:47 PM, Simone saracchi said:

Hello everyone, I guess this is a topic that has already been covered, however after 7 months I have just received the 24 comics I had sent for evaluation and 15 of them show evident signs of something that seems 'oily' but maybe it is air bubbles. Does anyone know CGC's 'politics' in the face of these cases? Honestly, it is evident that these are 'defective' comics, which for example will be difficult to resell, because I am very accurate in the descriptions and I myself would not buy a comic in a similar situation. Can anyone give me some advice? (I don't live in the USA) thank you very much!

You're right, they are harder to sell.  No one wants them.  Send them back. 

Unfortunately, CGC is famous for Newton rings.  Yet the competition finds it very easy to avoid them. 

I am really speechless ... I read that CGC would allow you to get back the comics with Newton's rings only if the case is serious ?! What does serious mean? In my opinion a purchased product must not have any defects, even a single small Newton ring is too much, because that will be enough to ensure that you will not be able to sell your comic if you want or need it, because any buyer will prefer the same. Newton's ringless cartoon, albeit small in size. If I think we are talking about 'collecting' and therefore looking after aesthetics, I don't know what to say, I am truly dismayed and speechless. At this point I also wonder if (in case the comic is sent back to remove Newton's rings) the procedure in question cannot cause some other kind of 'damage' to the packaging ... has anyone had this experience? Was he then satisfied? Thanks and sorry for the outburst

Edited by Simone saracchi

On 2/13/2022 at 12:06 PM, Simone saracchi said:

I am really speechless ... I read that CGC would allow you to get back the comics with Newton's rings only if the case is serious ?! What does serious mean? In my opinion a purchased product must not have any defects, even a single small Newton ring is too much, because that will be enough to ensure that you will not be able to sell your comic if you want or need it, because any buyer will prefer the same. Newton's ringless cartoon, albeit small in size. If I think we are talking about 'collecting' and therefore looking after aesthetics, I don't know what to say, I am truly dismayed and speechless. At this point I also wonder if (in case the comic is sent back to remove Newton's rings) the procedure in question cannot cause some other kind of 'damage' to the packaging ... has anyone had this experience? Was he then satisfied? Thanks and sorry for the outburst

your post above is somewhat hard to follow so I'll do my best to reply as best I can

"In my opinion a purchased product must not have any defects" ..... if that is your opinion I sure hope you received grades of 10.0 on all your submissions with white pages ... but reality would suggest otherwise as nothing is perfect

you should reach out to CGC and they can let you know what their exact policy is .... I don't know exactly what their minimum size of a visible newton ring would be that would qualify for a free mechanical error reholder ... I have had one done in the past and was satisfied with the resolution

I do know that anytime you have to send a book back you surely increase the chances anything else may possibly damage the book either in shipping or handling, that is why even though I have a recent slab with some minimal newton ring visibility it isn't worth my risk to send back and forth to CGC 

if you are reselling you can always disclose the defect to your potential buyer ... they would also have the potential ability to request or pay for a reholder themselves if necessary

there are other grading companies out there is you do not like their (CGC's) policies or potential issues with their slabs .... mylar looks great as well (when you can find it) 

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

On 2/13/2022 at 1:06 PM, Simone saracchi said:

It might be of interest to consider going with their competiton for future submissions to avoid all of CGC's quality control issues. Unfortunately, they have too many. At least these newton rings won't directly damage the book but shock syndrome does and there are tons of CGC books out there that suffer from it. There are arguments on both sides as to which grading company is better for certain reasons (I wouldn't waste time with PGX though). Even though CGC books typically sell for a bit more than their competition in the same grades, you likely won't have to deal with many of the same issues and that saves time, which in turn saves money. Good luck with this batch of books either way though. Hopefully, they rectify the issue for you. 

On 2/14/2022 at 3:42 PM, Sweedy said:

What is "shock syndrome"?

When CGC ships an order (25 books for example) they ship in the upright position and through transit, when the books get loaded and unloaded on to trucks, they shift up and down in their holders. This causes the interiors of the books to sometimes tear away from their staple points and damage the cover. As a result, the interior of the books can be seen hanging out of the covers. This link can give you a few examples of what that looks like. Over the years, they have used these hard as rock "L" shaped cardboard runners that line the bottom of the shipping boxes and they seem to think that they absorb shock well for some strange reason but they don't. I've never had this issue with their competition. Not to say it doesn't exist but I've had tons of books from their competition and not one single book had the issue.