• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scarest DC key in the silver age?
3 3

81 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2022 at 12:17 PM, 1950's war comics said:

it's this one.....

DSCN3552.JPG

A very scarce DC key but not a Silver Age book. Came out several months (April/May 1956 but hit newsstands in Jan/Feb 1956) before the book that is recognized by the consensus of collectors and comic book historians that started the DC Silver Age, Showcase 4 (September/October 1956 but hit newsstands in May/June 1956). 

It’s neither Gold nor Silver. It’s an Atomic Age book (End of World War 2 - Showcase 4). I really wish CGC would give the Atomic Age it’s own forum and remove it from Golden Age forum because it doesn’t belong there given the Golden Age superhero went south after the war and newfound fears coinciding with a postwar America gave rise to the dominance of new genres in the comic boom medium (Crime, Romance, and Horror). 

P.S. - I never scolded you.(thumbsu

On 2/12/2022 at 4:44 PM, plady69 said:

I just watched a YouTube video on DC silver age keys, and they did talk about Sugar &  Spice #1 as very low print run.

it's the rarest DC key , but it has not increased in value hardly at all compared to super-hero books which is understandable,,,

so even though it is scarce it's much better to buy a Showcase #6 long term!

there is actually CGC graded 3.0 on eBay right now for $1300 which is not a terribly high price all things considered

On 2/12/2022 at 4:59 PM, 1950's war comics said:

it's the rarest DC key , but it has not increased in value hardly at all compared to super-hero books which is understandable,,,

so even though it is scarce it's much better to buy a Showcase #6 long term!

there is actually CGC graded 3.0 on eBay right now for $1300 which is not a terribly high price all things considered

Yes,  very good price  especially compared it's marvel counterpart being the prototype for FF5

On 2/12/2022 at 5:23 PM, Wolverinex said:

Yes,  very good price  especially compared it's marvel counterpart being the prototype for FF5

i meant there is a CGC 3.0 Sugar and Spike #1 on eBay right now for $1300 which is a fair price for an already graded scarce key..  only 34 in the census last i checked, might be a few more now ....

On 2/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, bronze johnny said:

A very scarce DC key but not a Silver Age book. Came out several months (April/May 1956 but hit newsstands in Jan/Feb 1956) before the book that is recognized by the consensus of collectors and comic book historians that started the DC Silver Age, Showcase 4 (September/October 1956 but hit newsstands in May/June 1956). 

I guess Rudolph the red-nosed Reindeer 1 is atomic too.

i now consider 1956 the start of the SA , any month in 1956 is SA to me , Jan-Dec

definitely am not going to pick an particular month that year to start the end of the GA and beginning of the SA ,

SA starts at the beginning of the year-1956, for me at least.....