• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay
1 1

9 posts in this topic

So I think I know the answer but just need some advice. Recently purchased a book (1k)on eBay. Seller has 100% feedback. immediately after the seller accepted my offer he calls me on my cell phone without me giving the number to him. Then sends me several text messages saying he’s gonna be in the Southern California area and asked if I would meet and do the deal in person to save a little bit. I’m not feeling comfortable and haven’t paid him yet. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Communicate only through ebay and make the payment through ebay within the specified time frame.

I receive phone calls notifying me that I have a rich uncle who just passed away and I am the sole inheritor of millions... they just need some more info about how to get me the money.  The other phone calls tell me a family member has a warrant out and I need to provide data on them or I will go to jail as a conspirator.  I don't answer my phone anymore.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:27 PM, Gaard said:

Go ahead and meet him ... in the parking lot of your local police station.

Meeting in the parking lot (or lobby) of a police station is a great idea in cases where you have no other protection.  This can work well for a Facebook, Craigslist or Instagram transaction.  However, the police station approach doesn't give you the assurance that eBay does.  If you pay through eBay and there's a problem, you can file a dispute and get your $ back.  However, if you make the swap in a police station parking lot and then later find out that there's a problem, you're screwed.  How could that happen?  I'm thinking of things like undisclosed restoration, missing or married pages, a tampered slab or an entirely counterfeit book.  These things may not be evident until after the transaction is complete and the seller has your money. 

I can't stand eBay for many reasons, but one thing that they do well is protect buyers to assure that you get what was advertised.

Edited by SOTIcollector

On 2/12/2022 at 3:18 PM, Scout19er said:

So I think I know the answer but just need some advice. Recently purchased a book (1k)on eBay. Seller has 100% feedback. immediately after the seller accepted my offer he calls me on my cell phone without me giving the number to him. Then sends me several text messages saying he’s gonna be in the Southern California area and asked if I would meet and do the deal in person to save a little bit. I’m not feeling comfortable and haven’t paid him yet. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

If he's willing to try and bypass the eBay protocol (and I don't blame him, he'd save $150-ish in fees), then there is no reason to trust him.

You'll lose all your purchase protections.

Tell him no thanks, you'll look elsewhere. 

On 2/12/2022 at 4:00 PM, SOTIcollector said:

Meeting in the parking lot (or lobby) of a police station is a great idea in cases where you have no other protection.  This can work well for a Facebook, Craigslist or Instagram transaction.  However, the police station approach doesn't give you the assurance that eBay does.  If you pay through eBay and there's a problem, you can file a dispute and get your $ back.  However, if you make the swap in a police station parking lot and then later find out that there's a problem, you're screwed.  How could that happen?  I'm thinking of things like undisclosed restoration, missing or married pages, a tampered slab or an entirely counterfeit book.  These things may not be evident until after the transaction is complete and the seller has your money. 

I can't stand eBay for many reasons, but one thing that they do well is protect buyers to assure that you get what was advertised.

On 2/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, Sigur Ros said:

If he's willing to try and bypass the eBay protocol (and I don't blame him, he'd save $150-ish in fees), then there is no reason to trust him.

You'll lose all your purchase protections.

Tell him no thanks, you'll look elsewhere. 

I have done this several times, but ONLY if I can find if the seller runs an actual store. I saved almost $300 when I bought my copy of AC #247 this way. I required the owner to send me an invoice, and I paid with G & S, rather than F & F (which many IG users want - ugh). I did the same thing when I bought SC #4, and I saved about the same amount of money.

According to PayPal's website, "To take advantage of Purchase Protection, we require, among other things, that PayPal accounts be kept in good standing and ask that a dispute be filed within 180 days of your purchase or payment."

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security