• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pressing machines to purchase
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Lot of jokers here... :D
The correct type of press is a dry mount heat press. These presses are manufactured for and used by photographers/frame shops to mount printed photos to backing material for framing/display. Seal or Seal/Bienfang (now manufactured by D&K) is the most common and best known brand. New these are a couple of grand and sold at photography stores. So good used ones are your friend. 

As for used, they remind a lot of used motorcycles as far quality goes. Used motorcycles seem to mostly come in two flavors. Rode to death or barely rode.  Dry mount presses are the same.  What you want is one used very little by an amateur photographer that thought they would start mounting and framing his own photos. And either got bored and stopped or discovered it was worth having a framing shop do it for them.  If the pad is not in good shape, you'll need to purchase a replacement (again, photography stores that sell the presses new) These have gotten a lot more expensive used the past several years, but you can still save a bunch of money buying used. 

That they are expensive is why people persist in buying T-shirt presses.  T-Shirt presses are not the right kind of press.  The proper replacement pad for a dry mount heat press costs more than many T-Shirt presses.  Picture three items laying on a table. A photograph, a comic book and a T-Shirt. Which two items are most similar? 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:10 AM, Tony S said:

Lot of jokers here... :D
The correct type of press is a dry mount heat press. These presses are manufactured for and used by photographers/frame shops to mount printed photos to backing material for framing/display. Seal or Seal/Bienfang (now manufactured by D&K) is the most common and best known brand. New these are a couple of grand and sold at photography stores. So good used ones are your friend. 

As for used, they remind a lot of used motorcycles as far quality goes. Used motorcycles seem to mostly come in two flavors. Rode to death or barely rode.  Dry mount presses are the same.  What you want is one used very little by an amateur photographer that thought they would start mounting and framing his own photos. And either got bored and stopped or discovered it was worth having a framing shop do it for them.  If the pad is not in good shape, you'll need to purchase a replacement (again, photography stores that sell the presses new) These have gotten a lot more expensive used the past several years, but you can still save a bunch of money buying used. 

That they are expensive is why people persist in buying T-shirt presses.  T-Shirt presses are not the right kind of press.  The proper replacement pad for a dry mount heat press costs more than many T-Shirt presses.  Picture three items laying on a table. A photograph, a comic book and a T-Shirt. Which two items are most similar? 

OP is a good friend. I absolutely had to give him a hard time. It's ok R&S...I'm sure you'll pay me back later. :headpat:Glad to see a few people chimed in to help him a bit. (thumbsu

Edited by Timeless icons

On 2/16/2022 at 1:11 PM, Timeless icons said:

OP is a good friend. I absolutely had to give him a hard time. It's ok R&S...I'm sure you'll pay me back later. :headpat:Glad to see a few people chimed in to help him a bit. (thumbsu

Just sell him yours  :D