• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn around times.

13 posts in this topic

My first 2 submissions were graded and returned within weeks of being received. I was told it was because of a new pilot program they were testing. Well it worked. My next submission has been on scheduled for grading for 2 months. I know other customers have been waiting for a lot longer. Has the owner made so much money that he or she does not care anymore. I recently read that you have expanded your holding facility. Have you ever worked in a grocery store and noticed that back stock area is very small. That's because items only sell when they are on the shelf. Comics sitting in your storage facility are not making you any money. They are costing you money. Your main priority should be getting comics back to the customer ASAP. A re there any other grading companies besides CGC and PGX that are worth sending your comics to. Very frustrated customer. The owner should contact the customers and offer a solution..

On 2/15/2022 at 7:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're not going to find a reputable grader that is not currently backlogged.

Yup... 

And I understand the frustration. I have books that I haven't seen for over a year now between pressing and grading. 

But we also all knew about the backlog before we submitted books. In effect, we are all getting exactly what we signed up for. 

On 2/15/2022 at 4:46 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 2/14/2022 at 4:56 PM, 56 said:

Comics sitting in your storage facility are not making you any money. They are costing you money.

This doesn't seem to be true.

It MIGHT be true, the question is:

Does paying for comic storage in the warehouse (electricity, space, security, insurance, inventory management, extra warehouse employees) cost the company MORE in the long run than expanding too quickly, hiring large swaths of folks and training them too quickly (OR PAYING TONS OF MONEY FOR BETTER QUALITY FOLKS AND BETTER FASTER TRAINING) and expanding grading facilities with equipment and property development faster and possibly better.  

IF in fact they are testing newer, better, faster ways of grading, as the OP has stated, CGC has stated, and others in other threads have stated, then wouldn't it make more sense for them to 'perfect' this new method, THEN expand facilities and hire/train new graders?  Otherwise you buy all this equipment and spend all this money to buy equipment and training for the old methods in an expansion to fix current backlogs, and then spend a bunch more in less than a year to buy a bunch more equipment and re-train the people you just hired and trained.

I'm not saying turnaround times aren't too long or that we should all shrug our shoulders and be like 'oh well', just that people should think through their criticisms and possible solutions more carefully.  Lots of boardies have good ideas and critiques and ideas can and actually have probably helped in the past.

Additionally, I would say, people should at least attempt to look at things from a shareholder/owner perspective.  They were just bought a year ago, and now we've seen the following:  Even slower turnarounds, the rise of in-house signature events, limited testing of new faster slabbing techniques, slightly better (but still not great) communication, the slow roll out of card game grading, a sister company rolling out sport card grading, rising prices, seemingly, no improvement on the newton ring front (I'd love to see data on the newer slabbing technique), and we're in a pandemic still.  If you were a boss at CGC, how would you explain what's going on at CGC to your bosses?  What does it seem like your vision for the future is or your hundreds of employees (dozens?) ?  I'm not saying everything they're doing is right or good or makes sense objectively, but if you're simply looking at it from "I'm a guy who wants to (and can afford to) submit 10-20 books a year who wants his books back in the 3 months instead of 7", you're probably not looking at it from the same perspective as CGC decision makers.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:21 AM, revat said:

It MIGHT be true, the question is:

Does paying for comic storage in the warehouse (electricity, space, security, insurance, inventory management, extra warehouse employees) cost the company MORE in the long run than expanding too quickly, hiring large swaths of folks and training them too quickly (OR PAYING TONS OF MONEY FOR BETTER QUALITY FOLKS AND BETTER FASTER TRAINING) and expanding grading facilities with equipment and property development faster and possibly better.  

IF in fact they are testing newer, better, faster ways of grading, as the OP has stated, CGC has stated, and others in other threads have stated, then wouldn't it make more sense for them to 'perfect' this new method, THEN expand facilities and hire/train new graders?  Otherwise you buy all this equipment and spend all this money to buy equipment and training for the old methods in an expansion to fix current backlogs, and then spend a bunch more in less than a year to buy a bunch more equipment and re-train the people you just hired and trained.

I'm not saying turnaround times aren't too long or that we should all shrug our shoulders and be like 'oh well', just that people should think through their criticisms and possible solutions more carefully.  Lots of boardies have good ideas and critiques and ideas can and actually have probably helped in the past.

Additionally, I would say, people should at least attempt to look at things from a shareholder/owner perspective.  They were just bought a year ago, and now we've seen the following:  Even slower turnarounds, the rise of in-house signature events, limited testing of new faster slabbing techniques, slightly better (but still not great) communication, the slow roll out of card game grading, a sister company rolling out sport card grading, rising prices, seemingly, no improvement on the newton ring front (I'd love to see data on the newer slabbing technique), and we're in a pandemic still.  If you were a boss at CGC, how would you explain what's going on at CGC to your bosses?  What does it seem like your vision for the future is or your hundreds of employees (dozens?) ?  I'm not saying everything they're doing is right or good or makes sense objectively, but if you're simply looking at it from "I'm a guy who wants to (and can afford to) submit 10-20 books a year who wants his books back in the 3 months instead of 7", you're probably not looking at it from the same perspective as CGC decision makers.

Yeah, just too many things.  ...perfect storm. I had a ten comic book order ready to ship to CGC ...but after thinking about it for a day...the ten month current turnaround time is just not worth it...and... why contribute to the problem? I think I will just enjoy my raws and check back this summer. 

Edited by Ed Hanes

I have 3 submissions scheduled for grading. Hope I will get them back this year. I will stop feeding the BEAST for awhile. Maybe if enough people did this CGC might listen. I doubt it.

I have a book in right now for grading that is a custom cover. I submitted it last April, and it got checked in on 26 May 2021. I first checked in on the book in October 2021, and was told turn around as 200 days. I check in again in January of 2022, because I couldn't even see it on the tracker any longer as it was past the 8 months. In January I was told turn around was now 229 days. I just checked the website today 1 March 2022, and it now states a turn around of 249 days. There are only around 260 working days in a year. Tried checking on my book again and the submission tracker is still busted. So CGC has known about that for over a month, at least. And Why is the 'View Status' tracking only 8 months if books are taking almost a year? I like CGC, bust this becomes beyond frustrating.  

TvG by Andrew Griffith mini.jpg

Dberg Dave, that would be great if it worked. But it doesn't. I try searching by my submission number and I get this. When I contacted the help desk the only answer I was given for it being in CCS status since October was that average TAT was 229 days. This was after getting a TAT answer back in October of 200 days. And since 31 January the TAT has grown to 249 days. 

3849564.png