• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 3 Results
6 6

96 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 6:56 PM, Deborah Buck said:

Thank you Mike for allowing me to participate in my first grading competiton, when I was breaking the rules in the first two rounds by posting my grades for all and sundry to see, when I did not know that a PM was for you and not Boris!

I can only appreciate how much work you have had to put in to keep this bunch of renegades in line, so thank you again.

Good luck to those who made it through to the Tie-break.

I will keep a close eye on the results and look forward to being allowed to compete again sometime soon as I am interested in the gradings and I have a loft full of 60's, 70's and 80's comics that need some airing.

See you in next contest!

• Administrator
On 2/15/2022 at 8:16 PM, JollyComics said:

See you in next contest!

On 2/15/2022 at 8:42 PM, Deborah Buck said:

I look forward to it.

In the meantime, feel free to practice grading people's books in this forum.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

On 2/15/2022 at 4:56 PM, Deborah Buck said:

Thank you Mike for allowing me to participate in my first grading competiton, when I was breaking the rules in the first two rounds by posting my grades for all and sundry to see, when I did not know that a PM was for you and not Boris!

I can only appreciate how much work you have had to put in to keep this bunch of renegades in line, so thank you again.

Good luck to those who made it through to the Tie-break.

I will keep a close eye on the results and look forward to being allowed to compete again sometime soon as I am interested in the gradings and I have a loft full of 60's, 70's and 80's comics that need some airing.

Deborah Buck for contest mascot!

On 2/15/2022 at 9:22 PM, kav said:

Deborah Buck for contest mascot!

Make it this guy.

1381076-missing_man_2_c.jpg.6fb88dcd17a6f1504bd117155ec279d5.jpg

We started with 350 boardies and ended with, what... less than a hundred? Many were sorely missed. 

My suggestions for the next contest -

1. Allow tenured boardies in first and those who placed high in this contest.
  2. Hire @zzutak to continue his excellent analysis of our opinions and the actual results from CGC.
  3. Boardies step up to remind others of deadlines. So many excellent graders fell out of the contest because their grades were not submitted. I barely got mine in during Round 2.
  4. Graders notes for all books!
  5. Curve balls! Books that present perhaps a singular or unique defect. (Better to learn by.)
  6. Maybe.. maybe an even or good mix of GA, SA, BA, CA and Modern comicbooks
  7. Prizes for the Top 20 (because that's where I fell).
  8. Special recognition in some way for @CGC Mike and those behind the scenes at CGC.

It's been a great contest and I appreciate CGC for holding it.

Edited by grendelbo

On 2/15/2022 at 8:44 PM, grendelbo said:
  1. Curve balls! Books that present perhaps a singular or unique defect. (Better to learn by.)

Definitely!  As stunning as it may sound, the data suggest that, collectively, CGC's graders spend most of their time deciding whether a Modern should receive a grade of 9.6 or 9.8.  Yeah, this last statement is a bit of an exaggeration, intentionally written for dramatic effect; but the actual numbers are truly eye-opening:

CGC-Data-v2.thumb.png.9a070f419622879e55ddaa44a4812353.png

The ability to reliably distinguish between 9.9s, 9.8s, and 9.6s is certainly important.  From a number-of-units perspective, Moderns crush all other eras.  In fact, despite the fact that we've just begun year 2022, there are already more CGC-certified books from the 2020s than from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s combined!  :whatthe:  However, there's much more to grading than counting-up minuscule spine ticks and other tiny blemishes on unread/once-read copies.  Hence, whoever wears the Top Grader crown should be adept at accounting for all manner and severity of blemishes, flaws, and defects!  :preach:

I think all of us who have formally or informally participated are better for the diversity of challenges that have been presented.  (worship)

• Administrator
On 2/15/2022 at 11:44 PM, grendelbo said:

1. Allow tenured boardies in first and those who placed high in this contest.
  2. Hire @zzutak to continue his excellent analysis of our opinions and the actual results from CGC.
  3. Boardies step up to remind others of deadlines. So many excellent graders fell out of the contest because their grades were not submitted. I barely got mine in during Round 2.
  4. Graders notes for all books!
  5. Curve balls! Books that present perhaps a singular or unique defect. (Better to learn by.)
  6. Maybe.. maybe an even or good mix of GA, SA, BA, CA and Modern comicbooks
  7. Prizes for the Top 20 (because that's where I fell).
  8. Special recognition in some way for @CGC Mike and those behind the scenes at CGC.

On 2/16/2022 at 4:15 AM, spidermanbeyond said:

@CGC Mike

Next time, instead of extra books/extra round for people who are tied,  you might use some tie break rules (for same score) like:

1. Most bulleyes  followed by  2. Most off by 1 grade  3.  Most off by 2 grade  4. 1st one to get a bulleyes, etc.

Just  a suggestion.

Thank you for these suggestions.  Much appreciated.  :smile:

On 2/15/2022 at 11:44 PM, grendelbo said:

1. Curve balls! Books that present perhaps a singular or unique defect. (Better to learn by.)

I felt like he definitely did that.  Some of the ones I was the most stumped on were the books with large, singular defects. (the cut out cover/the whole book stain).