• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 3 Results
6 6

96 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2022 at 7:54 AM, CGC Mike said:

How many people feel that everyone should be able participate in all 4 rounds for future contests?  

985006946_tenor(15).gif.082a26781aafdde4d02f0cc984a0e54f.gif

Also. I agree that there are many ways to break the ties as well as calculating the order of contestants position.  In addition to those mentioned another way to break ties if all else are the same i.e.( grades, # of bullseye, off by 1, off by 2 , etc.)

Would be timestamps of grades submitted.  

There is a lot to be said of those who can grade accurately in a shorter time frame. 

Thank you again for this Mike!

On 2/16/2022 at 8:54 AM, CGC Mike said:

How many people feel that everyone should be able participate in all 4 rounds for future contests?  

Yes please! 

On 2/16/2022 at 10:27 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

985006946_tenor(15).gif.082a26781aafdde4d02f0cc984a0e54f.gif

Also. I agree that there are many ways to break the ties as well as calculating the order of contestants position.  In addition to those mentioned another way to break ties if all else are the same i.e.( grades, # of bullseye, off by 1, off by 2 , etc.)

Would be timestamps of grades submitted.  

There is a lot to be said of those who can grade accurately in a shorter time frame. 

Thank you again for this Mike!

I disagree with the timestamp part. For two of the three rounds, real life prevented me from spending time early on to do anything except give a cursory look at the books.

ok got it not 34 . I went back and realized this I counted rank #119 may I say in the world ?  Didn't break the top 100 dang. suggestions for the next contest . I think we should leave the way the contest is announced. 

I like the idea of maybe doing the round 4 open to the top 100 - 

a sticker for participation . 

a official rankings coin

some thoughts . I was actually a Cgc charter member when cgc first started  remember the red labels? back then I think CGC graded stricter and more along the lines of overstreet guide I think because there was no other grading scale. then over the past 20yrs plus or so CGC has done its own version of the buyers guide. for example

comics buyers guide any missing pieces of a book is poor .5   -- CGC u magically get a 3   I remember being at a comic convention and a dealer told me cgc grades golden age books more lenient because there aren't that many left. and I kinda went along with this reasoning.  those red labels are being cracked opened and submitted for higher grades lol

On 2/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, universal soldier said:

I disagree with the timestamp part. For two of the three rounds, real life prevented me from spending time early on to do anything except give a cursory look at the books.

I completely understand, however as I said I would only use this as the last metric after all others had been exhausted.  

First all others(# of bullseye, scores 1 , 2, 3+ off, etc. ) would have to be the same for the time to be used and that would be highly unlikely.

Still the timestamp has been used here for a while when it comes to sales threads,  so it seems fitting as a last resort tie breaker. 

* also this would encourage participants to submit their grades sooner . 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Add*

On 2/16/2022 at 9:12 AM, universal soldier said:

I agree.

I'm typically a procrastinator with these contests (but oddly enough not with the books posted daily in PGM).

COVID too had me foggy-headed during the first rounds and I had to put off my guesses otherwise it'd look like I was participating in a PGX contest. :flamethrower:

I think number of bulls-eyes should count for something.

Edited by grendelbo

On 2/16/2022 at 5:54 AM, CGC Mike said:

I have no strong feelings about this one way or the other.  In most PGA tourneys, a player has to "make the cut" in order to participate in the final two rounds.  However, if the Grading Contest is truly meant to be a learning experience, I can see the benefits of allowing all players to compete in all four rounds.  If CGC does go with a cut model, it needs to define the cut-line in a manner that will eliminate the need for a post Round-3 tiebreaker.  Finally, I like the PGA final ranking model, in which only ties for First Place need to be broken via extra holes.  One man's opinion, as always.  :foryou:

• Administrator

We will be coming up with a final ranking system for future contests.  This will put an end for the need of tiebreaking rounds.  Otherwise, we will run into the same problem for prize picking.  I have asked the master (Shin) and he has provided me with some great advise in regards to this.  I will combine that with what people have posted here, and come up with a defined list that will be posted publicly for future contests.  That way, there will be no surprises for anyone.

Also, I will work on the scan problem we encountered from round 2 on.  

I will make it clear during the signup that if you don't intend on playing until the end, don't sign up.  For the people that fail to do so, I will put them on a list, and they will not be allowed to enter the next contest.  They will have to "sit one out"  An exception will be if someone contacts me with a legitimate excuse.  

I am leaning on allowing everyone to participate in all 4 rounds next time.  I will have to discuss this with management so, no promises at this time.  

Between running the contest, taking care of moderation, and my growing customer service duties, I just do not have time to see who has not yet submitted their grades, and flag them to the thread.  I will adjust the rules to make it easier for people to know when rounds start and end.  

I'm certain we all appreciate your efforts, Mike.  They've been well beyond the call of duty.  (thumbsu  (worship)

If CGC does decide to go with a cut model, it should be performance-based, rational, and simple to apply; something like "all players within 10 points of the leader(s)" (pick a number), or "all players with a score of 14 points or less" (which would represent an average "error" of less than one grade increment per book during the 15-book "qualifying" rounds; once again, pick a number).  :foryou: