• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taschen Marvel comics library Spiderman Vo1- 1962-1964 A silver age collectors dream
5 5

116 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2022 at 9:35 AM, shadroch said:

I'm thinking of getting a coffe table just so I have a place to keep this book. It doesn't fit on any of my bookshelves.

Funny you said that.

I received this book about three weeks ago, and literally can't figure out where to place it.

For those who have the Taschen Books, would you get them if you already have the Omnibus?  They are so large that I'm unsure where I could even store them.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:06 AM, piper said:

For those who have the Taschen Books, would you get them if you already have the Omnibus?  They are so large that I'm unsure where I could even store them.

First I owned the masterworks, and in their time they were great...But the liked the larger size and color upgrades of the Omnibuses...so after purchase I sold them. When I go the Spiderman Tashen...it was a big step up. Here is why the Tashen is superior...SIZE....I noticed things, I had never noticed in 50 readings, Format....just like buying it off the newsstand when you were young and smaller and it does not feel like a color hyped up 2022 computer enhanced look which it never had when it was sold. When you bought these off the newsstand their had fresh look to them, and clearly  the Tashen edition nails this.

The amazing before and after material is vastly superior to the Omnibus both in quality and amount of material.  The cost are pretty close 140 vs 100  if you shop it right ,so dollar wise the Tashen blows away the Omnibus  in terms of value.

So this is a great  trade up all the way....you could keep the omnibus and I am until Tashen covers all the material in that edition, but in comparing the editions there is none.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 12/22/2022 at 12:06 PM, piper said:

I have the Omnis and the big Taschens. Not sure if I'll eventually replace the Omnibuses with Taschens or what. I guess it depends on how far Taschen takes these.

On 12/22/2022 at 2:01 PM, Dave2739 said:

I have the Omnis and the big Taschens. Not sure if I'll eventually replace the Omnibuses with Taschens or what. I guess it depends on how far Taschen takes these.

Is there any additional content not included in the Omnis?

On 12/22/2022 at 3:36 PM, MattTheDuck said:

This was #1 on my one-gift Christmas list.  Not sure if I even want to remove it from the box.

My other collector friend bought the first one from Tashen, and opened it and read it, and then bought a second one on Amazon when the price dipped $60...he does think an unopened copy will bring a super premium when this book goes out print. He is keeping his second copy unopened. The price is just $147 on Amazon!!!!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 12/22/2022 at 5:26 PM, piper said:

Is there any additional content not included in the Omnis?

yes, lots of extras, but my favorite thing is that they include all of the house ads, plus the ads on the inside front cover and the ads on the back covers. The omnis have the letters pages, which is great, but so do the Taschens.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:06 AM, piper said:

Yes. 

I had gthem all in Omni, as the oversized print is better on my eyes, but this is Omni on steroids, the art is huge and there are lots of full page black and white art reprinted . 

I'm looking to buy damaged copies and framing the pinups and splash pages. 

I just found this thread. I know the owner of the books that were scanned for this project. He knows I'm an Avengers fan, and he summoned me to his table at a comic show to look at that edition before it was released.

The books are basically treasury edition size and much thicker, obviously.

He said the only problem they had with scanning was with the annuals. He said he took a very low grade ASM Annual #1 that he had in his stock and basically took it apart in order to scan it for the project. He knew it was an expensive book even in that grade, but he said it was worth it. 

On 12/23/2022 at 10:18 PM, sassemble said:

I just found this thread. I know the owner of the books that were scanned for this project. He knows I'm an Avengers fan, and he summoned me to his table at a comic show to look at that edition before it was released.

The books are basically treasury edition size and much thicker, obviously.

He said the only problem they had with scanning was with the annuals. He said he took a very low grade ASM Annual #1 that he had in his stock and basically took it apart in order to scan it for the project. He knew it was an expensive book even in that grade, but he said it was worth it. 

Did you pick up a copy of the book....your thoughts?...do you know what exactly is next?

On 12/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, Mmehdy said:

Did you pick up a copy of the book....your thoughts?...do you know what exactly is next?

Not yet, but I'm in the process of ordering one. All I know is what has been said here about what's coming. He did Spidey, Avengers and FF to start.

He let me thumb through what he had there and it looked magnificent! I have thumbed through both Spidey and Avengers. I have not seen FF yet. He wasn't at the December show he usually shows up at.