• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taschen Marvel comics library Spiderman Vo1- 1962-1964 A silver age collectors dream
5 5

116 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2023 at 1:55 PM, sledgehammer said:

It wasn't used. Just like many things on Amazon, it was designated that for whatever reason.

Completely wonderful book.

2023 asm 2  1.jpg

2023 asm 2  2.jpg

2023 asm 2  3.jpg

2023 asm 2  4.jpg

2023 asm 2  5.jpg

2023 asm 2  6.jpg

what is your review 1-10...10m being tops?  Anyone else get it yet!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 11/8/2023 at 3:55 PM, sledgehammer said:

Completely wonderful book.

I read somewhere that the Ditko Peter Parker/Spider-Man pin-up from ASM 20 was replaced in the Tachen book by the Marvel Tales 30 version that had the Romita-drawn paste-up head for Peter - can you verify?  Below are the original ASM 20 and MT 30 pin-ups.  Thanks.

pinup.jpg

On 11/20/2023 at 2:02 PM, Karl M said:

I read somewhere that the Ditko Peter Parker/Spider-Man pin-up from ASM 20 was replaced in the Tachen book by the Marvel Tales 30 version that had the Romita-drawn paste-up head for Peter - can you verify?  Below are the original ASM 20 and MT 30 pin-ups.  Thanks.

pinup.jpg

yes, it is. do you have any idea if it was intentional? Romita did an unusually poor job. The head is way too large. is it possible that the original artwork was damaged, I don't know, but I don't know why they used this version for the book. I thought that they were using copies of the original comics to create this.

On 11/20/2023 at 5:28 PM, sledgehammer said:

yes, it is. do you have any idea if it was intentional? Romita did an unusually poor job. The head is way too large. is it possible that the original artwork was damaged, I don't know, but I don't know why they used this version for the book. I thought that they were using copies of the original comics to create this.

My guess is they focused on photographing the stories and thought of ads and extraneous stuff as "bonus" material they could source off the internet scan sites.  And then someone grabbed the wrong pin-up.  I don't haven any of the books (yet), but I've seen them, and some of the ads appear to be of much lower quality than the story pages.  Thanks for confirming the pin-up!

now, I'm curious how many other places that this Romita version showed up. Did they usually include the pinup pages in the masterworks books?

Since Romita is my favorite artist of all time, it's really hard for me to believe that this was not an actual cut and paste job, that this was not Romita actually screwing up the proportions this badly. With the coloring misfires, including the shirt, being the same color, as only one pants leg, it's just a very bad look.

A few years ago I pointed out that Romita had done his own version of one of Ditko's classic Spider-Man poses, for one of the 711 Slurpee cup designs. I just can't figure out why this would have been done in the first place, unless there was a point where they needed to use the original art, and it had been damaged. there's really nothing about Ditko's art here, that looked wrong. It was probably just somebody making a call, that really had no business deciding that.

weird.

On 11/20/2023 at 7:19 PM, sledgehammer said:

now, I'm curious how many other places that this Romita version showed up. Did they usually include the pinup pages in the masterworks books?

Since Romita is my favorite artist of all time, it's really hard for me to believe that this was not an actual cut and paste job, that this was not Romita actually screwing up the proportions this badly. With the coloring misfires, including the shirt, being the same color, as only one pants leg, it's just a very bad look.

A few years ago I pointed out that Romita had done his own version of one of Ditko's classic Spider-Man poses, for one of the 711 Slurpee cup designs. I just can't figure out why this would have been done in the first place, unless there was a point where they needed to use the original art, and it had been damaged. there's really nothing about Ditko's art here, that looked wrong. It was probably just somebody making a call, that really had no business deciding that.

weird.

I don't know why the Marvel Tales version was updated (and I agree the Romita head was likely cut out from somewhere and pasted on), but Marvel did stuff like this fairly often in their 1970s reprint books.  Sometimes dialogue as well as art was changed to reflect current events or to make an old character look more like the current version.  Colors were almost always different - original comics weren't consulted, and colorists worked from b&w stats.  I think they only got guidance for costumes and hair and skin color.  That was true even with the original Masterworks before the re-boot.

Per the GCD, this pin-up has been included in quite a few collections, but I don't know how many, if any, are the altered version:

Marvel Tales (Marvel, 1966 series) #30 (April 1971), #31 (July 1971)
Marvel Masterworks (Marvel, 1987 series) #5 ([October] 1988)
Amazing Spider-Man Masterworks (Marvel, 1992 series) #1 (March 1992)
Essential Spider-Man (Marvel, 1996 series) #1 (December 1996) [black and white]
Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man - Barnes & Noble Edition #3 (2004)
Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus (Marvel, 2007 series) #1 (2007)

On 11/24/2023 at 7:01 AM, sledgehammer said:

Silver Surfer is available on Amazon.

But not for under $200.

:popcorn:

great book...let me know if the price gets to $150....its a steal and lets get some Spidey #2 review....

Edited by Mmehdy

On 12/11/2023 at 9:45 AM, jayhawker said:

I don’t know if these have been mentioned before.This is a six box set that is sold at Sam’s Club for 19.98. It’s got a retail price on the box for $60. It looks like they might be 6 x 8.

image.jpg

For anyone interested, this is what Sam's website shows as the description :

Dive deep into the mighty world of Marvel, featuring behind the scenes of the world's greatest super heroes.
This six volume box set gives a behind-the-scenes trove of images and exclusive insights that reveal the making of the most iconic Marvel Super Heroes as well as the legendary architects who brought them to life, from Stan "The Man" Lee to Jack "King" Kirby.
Over 1,150 pages of iconic images of Avengers, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, the Amazing Spider-Man, and X-Men across six 192-page books. Text featured in these books is by comics legend "Rascally" Roy Thomas, author of 75 Years of Marvel Comics.
Fans of the classic comics might find some new information even the most die-hard comic lovers don't know, all while being treated to some of the most iconic artwork in comic book history. Though this set isn't just for seasoned comic-veterans, new fans will be able to enjoy just as much.

On 12/11/2023 at 4:34 PM, Telegan said:

For anyone interested, this is what Sam's website shows as the description :

Dive deep into the mighty world of Marvel, featuring behind the scenes of the world's greatest super heroes.
This six volume box set gives a behind-the-scenes trove of images and exclusive insights that reveal the making of the most iconic Marvel Super Heroes as well as the legendary architects who brought them to life, from Stan "The Man" Lee to Jack "King" Kirby.
Over 1,150 pages of iconic images of Avengers, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, the Amazing Spider-Man, and X-Men across six 192-page books. Text featured in these books is by comics legend "Rascally" Roy Thomas, author of 75 Years of Marvel Comics.
Fans of the classic comics might find some new information even the most die-hard comic lovers don't know, all while being treated to some of the most iconic artwork in comic book history. Though this set isn't just for seasoned comic-veterans, new fans will be able to enjoy just as much.

WHAT A SMOKING DEAL... wow

On 12/13/2023 at 6:00 PM, Mmehdy said:

WHAT A SMOKING DEAL... wow

My "local" Sam's had it, so I decided to go there and look.  They said they only had 2 boxes left, but I could only find 1, so I bought it.  For $20, why the heck not? lol.

Thanks for posting it, @jayhawker. I doubt I would've ever looked in the books at Sam's for something like this without your post. :D