• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VHS collecting
2 2

146 posts in this topic

I'm on a movie collecting site and I am shocked at times what some VHS tapes go for. Especially when they are unopened, the bidding war that takes place.

One reseller had MRS. Doubtfire VHS unopened and I think that ended up at over $75.

On 2/18/2022 at 2:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

I'm on a movie collecting site and I am shocked at times what some VHS tapes go for. Especially when they are unopened, the bidding war that takes place.

One reseller had MRS. Doubtfire VHS unopened and I think that ended up at over $75.

Link?

On 2/18/2022 at 5:30 PM, rabidwolf said:

Link?

https://mewe.com/myworld

You have to be invited to some of the sub-forums which is part of the pain with how protective they are at times who is or isn't allowed to engage.

The main collecting area is digital and physical disc movies and TV shows.

@Sauce Dog  I kid you not; I can remember vivid details like yesterday seeing this opening weekend. Went in with mediocre expectations and had no idea what was on deck.

BTW I get the fascination with the sealed VHS current phenom. It's yet another pathway to a place where we ache to go back to and somehow our memories are perpetually preserved in these plastic casings to relive over and over again.

Some of the best moments in my collectible past as a kid are the ones leading up to the actual getting or the long waited anticipation leading up to Xmas or a birthday before I opened the video games or toys. 

Rare! VGA Die Hard MINTY FIRST RELEASE vhs SEALED ORIGINAL CBS FOX NM+ 85+ Gold

Brand New

$5,000.00

Buy It Now

On 2/18/2022 at 11:52 PM, Sauce Dog said:

....I can find nothing about grading tapes that offer them any sort of preservation (unlike paper collectibles or most toys), and only see the value of them making for a nice display piece (as I do like the 'Oscar-like' display stands they use)

Especially this part well said; hence I won't be shelling out $15K for a VHS slab, so don't worry about that. I am a hoarder of sorts and just over the years have accumulated various VHS, LDs and LPs for that matter. I actually still have most of my movie ticket stubs from the 80s and 90s  in a couple of puma boxes.

I think in any marketplace where you have such a tight supply you really have to navigate very strategically and tactically. Slabbed video games are a similar phenom to characteristics you described. Allot of my personal video games slabs were pieces I had accumulated or slabs I have traded for are among collectors I know. 

But regarding the display case setup you alluded to; I have found this to be an incredible nostalgic artifact of sorts. When I wanted to put together MOTU and vintage SW runs, high end NM/MT graded pieces were just too costly so you can actually just buy the empty AFA slab case for a pittance of the cost and then place in your particular 12 backs or 8 backs etc. ungraded. I'm fine with that.  

On 2/18/2022 at 8:52 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Of all the graded collectibles out there, graded VHS is the one that makes my eyes roll. Demand seems 100% artificial, and nothing but a pump and dump scheme through and through based on the people I've seen involved in it (and who is selling to who). Especially odd once you realize that there is no way to confirm a tape hasn't been demagnetized, suffering rot (a big issue with some game collecting, since you cannot tell unless you crack it open, more of a problem on older VHS due to the materials used), or what level of damage the tape is in (tapes can suffer damage if not played due to how tightly they were wound during manufacturing).

I can find nothing about grading tapes that offer them any sort of preservation (unlike paper collectibles or most toys), and only see the value of them making for a nice display piece (as I do like the 'Oscar-like' display stands they use)

You have good Valid points

but a lot of this can be and was said about video games and look how much people are shelling out for those . Who knows if those sealed games are playable

I think super Mario or a madden football that was around in the late 80s I was playing in junior high is now going for hundreds of thousands makes no sense since you could buy a 8.5- 9.0 amazing fantasy 15 or. Low grade tec 27 just a year or so ago for that price. 

but that’s where the market is at and doesn’t seem to be slowing down 

It’s much like video games and after being in the hobby for a year, so many early titles are impossible to find sealed. As a huge movie fan, I love it.
It’s real too, I know some serious collectors that would throw down six figures on some early versions of Star Wars, Halloween, Jaws, etc.

For me I find Laserdisc's better display pieces and they tend to get dinged up a lot easier so they can be tough to find in grade even if they are sealed. I do have some nice sealed discs as well like some Friday the 13th's, and some Halloweens but they certainly do not go for as much as the VHS counterparts.

For laserdiscs, late Japanese releases go for the most, reaching around 10-20 thousand.

My most expensive Laserdisc would likely be the Hong Kong import of the Matrix which might get a thousand.

For VHS I think Halloween might be the one title where I would pony up some serious cash.

The only sealed VHS I have is Lord of the Rings, and maybe some Disney titles which I have to dig out.

Edited by Rip

On 2/19/2022 at 11:09 AM, Rip said:

For me I find Laserdisc's better display pieces and they tend to get dinged up a lot easier so they can be tough to find in grade even if they are sealed. I do have some nice sealed discs as well like some Friday the 13th's, and some Halloweens but they certainly do not go for as much as the VHS counterparts.

For laserdiscs, late Japanese releases go for the most, reaching around 10-20 thousand.

My most expensive Laserdisc would likely be the Hong Kong import of the Matrix which might get a thousand.

For VHS I think Halloween might be the one title where I would pony up some serious cash.

The only sealed VHS I have is Lord of the Rings, and maybe some Disney titles which I have to dig out.

One of the things that helped fuel laserdisc collecting is those were often the versions that contain 'lost' footage or alternate endings that could not fit on the standard VHS releases at the time (or even on some DVDs of the era, which were more interested in having crazy flashing animated menus rather than offering a trove of extras besides trailers and commentary), or were not hacked to death via pan-and-scan editing. 

Prices for those I see being very stable and organic over the last few decades, whereas VHS is something that is only spiking due to a renaissance of 80s/90s nostalgia and makes it hard to gauge legit interest in who wants to pay these big prices; the only VHS I honestly see as being desirable are those for movies whose rights became muddled and fractured (perhaps from a defunct studio) resulting in them only ever getting a VHS release (no DVD or even streams available), heck there are some Muppet films that were only ever released this way.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 2/19/2022 at 1:04 PM, Sauce Dog said:

One of the things that helped fuel laserdisc collecting is those were often the versions that contain 'lost' footage or alternate endings that could not fit on the standard VHS releases at the time (or even on some DVDs of the era, which were more interested in having crazy flashing animated menus rather than offering a trove of extras besides trailers and commentary), or were not hacked to death via pan-and-scan editing. 

Prices for those I see being very stable and organic over the last few decades, whereas VHS is something that is only spiking due to a renaissance of 80s/90s nostalgia and makes it hard to gauge legit interest in who wants to pay these big prices; the only VHS I honestly see as being desirable are those for movies whose rights became muddled and fractured (perhaps from a defunct studio) resulting in them only ever getting a VHS release (no DVD or even streams available), heck there are some Muppet films that were only ever released this way.

:gossip:  There is also a TON of Disney that was either edited upon rerelease or locked in the Vault not to be seen again. 

On 2/19/2022 at 3:00 PM, Sauce Dog said:

At least $198 USD...cause that's how much it costs to have a single VHS graded.

Well raw sealed vhs of Heavy Metal the highest they have sold for on Ebay is about $25. There are no sales for graded , however there is one person on there selling a graded IGS 9.5 seal 8 box and this is there ask. 20220219_150718.thumb.jpg.e57d2f5f4110bd684155797982790e18.jpg

Do I think it is worth that? (No) 

Do I think it is worth the grading cost?(No)

Do I think a sealed copy is worth the $25 it has sold for? (Not when there are sealed copies available for around $10) 

Will someone else be willing to spend the $750 this guy is asking or more for a better copy? (Probably) 

You know somewhere there is a collector with some original art from Heavy Metal and would think this would look neat next to it on a wall...

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Correct box/seal grade

On 2/19/2022 at 4:12 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You know somewhere there is a collector with some original art from Heavy Metal and would think this would look neat next to it on a wall...

Yeah the look of them is nice, especially some of the special sets that slab an entire trilogy side by side, but that price - I honestly don't see it being an organic sale if it ever does sell (have seen a few of the same people buying them from each other, me thinks to leave a trail of 'sold' records) however if display is what people are after you can literally have a custom acrylic case made just like these for fairly cheap (for example near me we have Canadian Acrylic Display who I reached out to awhile ago about custom cases for some other collectibles and it seemed very easy - they even said they can adjust any of their cases to my spec if I wanted to work with an existing case: https://www.canadianacrylicdisplay.com/en/product/display-case-cassette-vhs-movie - I love these guys as you can just buy the cases so you can open them up again yourself, or you can get them to grade whatever it is as well. For VHS you can buy the case for $34 Canadian, or have them grade and seal it for $73 Canadian which is a quarter of the price the other VHS grading company charges)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 2/19/2022 at 4:12 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Well raw sealed vhs of Heavy Metal the highest they have sold for on Ebay is about $25. There are no sales for graded , however there is one person on there selling a graded IGS 9.5 seal 8 box and this is there ask. 20220219_150718.thumb.jpg.e57d2f5f4110bd684155797982790e18.jpg

Do I think it is worth that? (No) 

Do I think it is worth the grading cost?(No)

Do I think a sealed copy is worth the $25 it has sold for? (Not when there are sealed copies available for around $10) 

Will someone else be willing to spend the $750 this guy is asking or more for a better copy? (Probably) 

I got like 4 poster of that vhs release,worth anyting?