• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toho's GODZILLA MINUS ONE directed by Takashi Yamazaki (12/1/23)
6 6

227 posts in this topic

This will be a somewhat long post but approximately 10-12 years ago on YouTube I saw a small clip from a movie called "Always: Sunset on Third Street 2" which was directed by Takashi Yamazaki, when I saw the teaser trailer for "Godzilla Minus One" and found out Takashi was doing "Godzilla Minus One" I knew I was going to see this movie multiple times just based on the strength of how well Godzilla looked in "Always: Sunset on Third Street 2" 

But when it came out for fan night on November 29th I was utterly blown away by this movie as a whole, the wife and I saw it twice that day and then twice more on the November 30th, since then I have seen this movie 21 times and she has seen it 10. I have taken numerous friends/families to see this movie, and all were driven by my enthusiasm and encouragement to see it. This movie has so much heart and character and emotion that it defies logic for a "monster movie" and even after all these multiple viewings it still packs a punch for me, especially when I take people who haven't seen the movie and get their reaction after the credits roll!

And every last one of them are completely blown away by this movie and most are teary eyed one of my buddies who is a veteran thanked me for telling him because he hadn't heard about it, and he absolutely loved it. The wife and I doubled dated with some friends and his wife was reduced to tears in the latter scenes of the movie, in another viewing I sat with some guys who hadn't seen it and afterwards both of them stated that they were bringing their wives to see it.  Another friend said "Hollywood needs to take some notes from TOHO on how to make a movie", and yet another friend who literally hadn't been in a movie theater in 19 years said it was "freaking awesome."

I just can't say enough about this movie it is without a doubt a masterpiece, one that deserves to be seen on the biggest screen possible and one that deserves to be experienced by as many people as possible even if you are a Godzilla fan or not.  I haven't seen every Godzilla movie, but I've been watching them since the very early 70s and probably seen 80% of them but in terms of human drama, character development, visuals, movie composition, and gut-wrenching emotion this one is tops in my book as it just doesn't get much better than this!

Peace :cool:  

James 

On 12/23/2023 at 3:55 AM, Microchip said:

So has anyone mentioned the tattoo on Norika's neck in the final frames of the movie??

Does anyone know what it's in reference to?

I was wondering that myself.

Spoiler

What’s Going On With Noriko’s Neck in ‘Godzilla Minus One’?

At the hospital, Noriko is seen with what appears to be a black mark on her neck. Despite being so noticeable, no explanation of the mark is given. Hence, many viewers simply assumed it was a sign of radiation poisoning. One of the reasons why she is presumed dead is because she was caught in the blast radius of Godzilla’s atomic breath. With its nuclear breath boasting similarities to a nuclear bomb, the only thing more devastating than the original blast is the radiation released by it. In Japan, one of the long-lasting effects of the atomic bombs was radiation sickness. Many who survived the initial blast later died from radiation exposure, which the United States initially tried to cover up.

Radiation sickness can manifest in a variety of symptoms, including burns, sores, and bruises on the skin. So, Noriko could be suffering from radiation poisoning, which would align with Godzilla Minus One‘s desire to reflect the horrors of war and nuclear weapons. However, there is another theory that is gaining traction. What if she was contaminated not by radiation but by Godzilla?

YouTuber Minty posited that Noriko could turn into something like the humanoid creatures seen sprouting from Godzilla’s tail in Shin Godzilla. Of course, even Minty acknowledges that it’s a stretch, as it’s unclear if this Godzilla has evolved enough to do what the Godzilla in Shin Godzilla did decades later. Still, since the films aren’t directly related, this may be a different Godzilla, putting a wholly different spin on the concept of humanoid Godzilla creatures. On a Reddit forum, there was speculation that Noriko’s mark is a piece of Godzilla or a sign that its DNA somehow became part of Noriko’s, allowing her to survive and potentially mutating her, too.

While radiation sickness is the most likely reason for Noriko’s neck mark, seeing if the Godzilla franchise might be gearing up to explore mutated Godzilla humanoids will be interesting.

On 12/23/2023 at 9:04 PM, Bosco685 said:

I was wondering that myself.

Hide contents

What’s Going On With Noriko’s Neck in ‘Godzilla Minus One’?

At the hospital, Noriko is seen with what appears to be a black mark on her neck. Despite being so noticeable, no explanation of the mark is given. Hence, many viewers simply assumed it was a sign of radiation poisoning. One of the reasons why she is presumed dead is because she was caught in the blast radius of Godzilla’s atomic breath. With its nuclear breath boasting similarities to a nuclear bomb, the only thing more devastating than the original blast is the radiation released by it. In Japan, one of the long-lasting effects of the atomic bombs was radiation sickness. Many who survived the initial blast later died from radiation exposure, which the United States initially tried to cover up.

Radiation sickness can manifest in a variety of symptoms, including burns, sores, and bruises on the skin. So, Noriko could be suffering from radiation poisoning, which would align with Godzilla Minus One‘s desire to reflect the horrors of war and nuclear weapons. However, there is another theory that is gaining traction. What if she was contaminated not by radiation but by Godzilla?

YouTuber Minty posited that Noriko could turn into something like the humanoid creatures seen sprouting from Godzilla’s tail in Shin Godzilla. Of course, even Minty acknowledges that it’s a stretch, as it’s unclear if this Godzilla has evolved enough to do what the Godzilla in Shin Godzilla did decades later. Still, since the films aren’t directly related, this may be a different Godzilla, putting a wholly different spin on the concept of humanoid Godzilla creatures. On a Reddit forum, there was speculation that Noriko’s mark is a piece of Godzilla or a sign that its DNA somehow became part of Noriko’s, allowing her to survive and potentially mutating her, too.

While radiation sickness is the most likely reason for Noriko’s neck mark, seeing if the Godzilla franchise might be gearing up to explore mutated Godzilla humanoids will be interesting.

So Noriko is going to turn up with some Japanese kids, and riding around on some really sick motorbikes, being chased around Neo-Tokyo by some military dudes trying to harness her new found mental powers? (shrug)