• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A list of "warehouse find" books
7 7

109 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, buttock said:

The entire Mile High II collection was a warehouse find.  1.5M pre-1979 comics plus 200K Warren mags.  Lots & lots of Marvels. 

I bought some issues of Defenders from the Mile High II collection. The interior pages had the same colour as the creamy centre of a Cadbury Caramilk bar. Pedigree it ain't.

On 2/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 2/21/2022 at 10:42 AM, Beyonder123 said:

That's interesting. If these were all distributed in multipacks how could someone have found a case of them? Unless he pulled them from the bags.

And in the UK, too. Very odd. 

The ones I saw were never in multi-packs - they were loose in stacks at department stores. Those had to come out of cases, not multi-packs.

On 2/21/2022 at 5:51 AM, 1Cool said:

How many books are needed to constitute a warehouse find?  I've got 250 copies of Avengers Annual 10 that I picked up from basically a warehouse (had 400 at one time).  I'm sure that wasn't the only stash of that book since I'm sure nobody bought that cover when it came out.

I went to a show in Detroit in 1985 and Sparkle City had a big stack of them raw, face up on the table for seventy five cents each.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:53 AM, HouseofComics.Com said:
On 2/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, 1Cool said:

How many books are needed to constitute a warehouse find?  I've got 250 copies of Avengers Annual 10 that I picked up from basically a warehouse (had 400 at one time).  I'm sure that wasn't the only stash of that book since I'm sure nobody bought that cover when it came out.

I went to a show in Detroit in 1985 and Sparkle City had a big stack of them raw, face up on the table for seventy five cents each.

I was at a show at a movie theatre lobby (!) in Pennsylvania around 2013 that had a stack of 100 of them for $5 each. 

I supose it depends on what your definition of a warehouse find is. 

If a book was being stored in quantity for years in a warehouse, I would call it a warehouse find. As every book in the MH2 collection was stored under those circumstances, are they warehouse finds? I'll leave that to you.

Longtime members might remember an ebay seller who called himself cgcking and a dozen similar names. He sold beatup SA books and would put things like CGC It or possible CGC 9.8 in a title. He was a real estate investor who bought an abandoned  warehouse in Brooklyn. It was huge, with at least forty different rooms in it and in one of them he found 200,000 comics. I believe they were the books Grand Comics bought but weren't good enough to make their grades.  I got a look at much of his stock and few books reached the mark where I'd call them 4.0s. Most were in the 1.8-2.5 range but there were tens of thousands of them.  Even though they were found in a warehouse, I would not say they were a warehouse find. 

Comic collectors use terms oddly. 

On 2/22/2022 at 10:12 AM, shadroch said:

I supose it depends on what your definition of a warehouse find is. 

If a book was being stored in quantity for years in a warehouse, I would call it a warehouse find. As every book in the MH2 collection was stored under those circumstances, are they warehouse finds? I'll leave that to you.

Longtime members might remember an ebay seller who called himself cgcking and a dozen similar names. He sold beatup SA books and would put things like CGC It or possible CGC 9.8 in a title. He was a real estate investor who bought an abandoned  warehouse in Brooklyn. It was huge, with at least forty different rooms in it and in one of them he found 200,000 comics. I believe they were the books Grand Comics bought but weren't good enough to make their grades.  I got a look at much of his stock and few books reached the mark where I'd call them 4.0s. Most were in the 1.8-2.5 range but there were tens of thousands of them.  Even though they were found in a warehouse, I would not say they were a warehouse find. 

Comic collectors use terms oddly. 

I've always considered a warehouse find to be any situation where a very large quantity of a book is unearthed which makes that issues or issues much easy to find compared to surrounding issues.  Not sure if I ever considered condition into the equation but I agree it makes a huge difference to high end collectors if a case of 9.8 contenders comes to light compared to a mountain of FN copies.

Edited by 1Cool

On 2/22/2022 at 10:12 AM, shadroch said:

What was the deal with the Brooklyn warehouse?  Were the books undistributed copies? If so, I'd call it a warehouse find.   A bad warehouse find though. 

On 2/22/2022 at 8:31 AM, comicginger1789 said:

To me, "warehouse find" means as little as "from my personal collection" when I buy a book.

It shouldn't.  Warehouse finds tend to lower the value of a book so you should be aware which books are easier to find in HG than others. If Frogman 132 is a known warehouse find and 133 is not, the 132 should  sell for less in HG and an informed buyer will know this.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 2/22/2022 at 9:53 AM, HouseofComics.Com said:
On 2/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, 1Cool said:

I was at a show at a movie theatre lobby (!) in Pennsylvania around 2013 that had a stack of 100 of them for $5 each. 

It seems like everyone has an Avengers Annual #10 story. A friend, who is a former employee at a longtime Toronto comic shop, was helping them clean out their warehouse back in 2015. They were also pulling stock that they could easily move for an upcoming show. He set aside copies of books like Avengers Annual #10 and PPSSM #64 for me, and I bought a handful in the 9.6-9.8 range. I'm grateful he did that for me. I found out later that someone named Mr. Harley Yee bought a good chunk of these "warehouse" copies before the con opened to the public.

When I bought the books, I was told that sometime back in the 1990s they threw out 2 cases of the Avengers Annual #10 to make more room in the warehouse. They had too many copies.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, shadroch said:

It shouldn't.  Warehouse finds tend to lower the value of a book so you should be aware which books are easier to find in HG than others. If Frogman 132 is a known warehouse find and 133 is not, the 132 should  sell for less in HG and an informed buyer will know this.

I just mean I go by sales data now. I don't care if a book was found in the 1000's back in 1985 in pristine shape. If the books sells for $40-60 now, I know that is its relative value and base my offer on that. The fact of what it "should be worth" has no meaning to me I mean, a good portion of the books on the list still go for massive amounts of money because of their desirability.

On 2/22/2022 at 8:33 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

What was the deal with the Brooklyn warehouse?  Were the books undistributed copies? If so, I'd call it a warehouse find.   A bad warehouse find though. 

No, they were all low grade books. From a few notes I saw, I believe Grand Comics was buying up stores and collections and pruning out all the low end stuff.  The strange thing was Grand had a lease on a different unit in the building and the room the comics were in wasn't in the lease at all. It was supposed to be empty. 

Grand went out of business and everyone forgot about this room for 15 years. CGCKing bought the building, paid a company to haul away all the trash and was lucky the crew called him instead of just removing them like they were hired to.  I tried to do some business with him as he lived fairly close to me but he thought he had diamonds.  

On 2/22/2022 at 10:35 AM, letsgrumble said:

It seems like everyone has an Avengers Annual #10 story. A friend, who is a former employee at a longtime Toronto comic shop, was helping them clean out their warehouse back in 2015. They were also pulling stock that they could easily move for an upcoming show. He set aside copies of books like Avengers Annual #10 and PPSSM #64 for me, and I bought a handful in the 9.6-9.8 range. I'm grateful he did that for me. I found out later that someone named Mr. Harley Yee bought a good chunk of these "warehouse" copies before the con opened to the public.

When I bought the books, I was told that sometime back in the 1990s they threw out 2 cases of the Avengers Annual #10 to make more room in the warehouse. They had too many copies.

:x

harley-1.jpg