• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest Non-Hero Supporting Characters of All-Time
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Having a conversation with my buddy about supporting characters who are just people and are not a sidekick and have no powers themselves ( we discounted the Silver age imaginary and one-offs  as most Civilian characters always somehow got powers temporarily). We came up with Alfred being #1 followed by J.Jonah Jameson as #2. Any thoughts?

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 2/20/2022 at 3:55 PM, The Meta said:

Isn't there a Rick Jones thread already?

Hadn't really thought of him as his presence outside of the comics (cartoons, TV Shows, Movies) has diminished to almost non existence in the past 25-30 years. He wasn't a part of the 70s Hulk TV show that most people are still familiar with or the MCU. But Alfred and JJJ are still huge parts of their respective heroes mythos in any medium.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, Buzzetta said:

I also believe that Alfred is numero uno on that list. 

After that if you are doing the Mt Rushmore...

Alfred, Lois Lane, Mary Jane Watson, Rick Jones.

I almost put Uncle Ben there because even though he is dead, his presence is felt in every issue of Spider-man. 

I would put JJJ on that Rushmore as he is almost Spideys #1 nemesis. He's even on page 1 of ASM 1.

On 2/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, Buzzetta said:

I also believe that Alfred is numero uno on that list. 

After that if you are doing the Mt Rushmore...

Alfred, Lois Lane, Mary Jane Watson, Rick Jones.

I almost put Uncle Ben there because even though he is dead, his presence is felt in every issue of Spider-man. 

On 2/21/2022 at 1:43 PM, Krydel4 said:

I would put JJJ on that Rushmore as he is almost Spideys #1 nemesis. He's even on page 1 of ASM 1.

I'd swap Jones for Jameson.

Alfred Pennyworth

Lois Lane

Mary-Jane Watson

J Jonah Jameson

Rick Jones

Jimmy Olsen, whilst a definite contender, had too many episodes of gaining 'powers' - so I reckon he would be ineligible. The same goes for Flash Thompson, as he became Venom.

Lots of great ones out there… Jarvis, Wyatt Wingfoot, Wong, Jack Norris, Willie Lumpkin, Jim Wilson, Colleen Wing, Thunderbolt Ross, Henry Peter Gyrich.

I think Michelinie’s Iron Man was pretty strong with Bethany Cabe and Mrs. Arbogast. Of course, James Rhodes was a good one for a while until he put on the armor.

All those Rick Jones mentions but no Snapper Carr?