• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Qualified Labels
1 1

33 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2024 at 1:14 AM, wiparker824 said:

Funny enough I own a copy of ASM 2 in the exact same grade with the exact same page missing. Think if I send this one in for a reholder I get the green/yellow combo label?IMG_1759.thumb.jpeg.e0bd3e1345abd0bc21ce21ef17340060.jpeg

Yeah I would definitely worry about it being a slashed green/ yellow if you got it reholdered or a sig added. I might have to ask CGC about this. That's funny it's the same page missing lol.

On 7/18/2024 at 6:43 PM, Matt Brosch said:

I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to necro this thread to bring you this....ASM #1& #2 CGC 0.5, Qualified Labels. I googled and searched through the forums to find out more about this practice, but I can't find anything and this was one of the more recent threads on the subject. I guess on very high dollar books, a Qualified label will be given when there's a significant defect(s)? Or maybe I missed some kind on announcement about this at one point. Anywho, just thought it was funny and I'd share. Screenshot_20240718_213952_eBay.thumb.jpg.9cd162660109727bb6abe5317573c6a2.jpgScreenshot_20240718_214007_eBay.thumb.jpg.9fd75ffaa88e1b132a6a04784bd6c9af.jpg

I can understand the use of the Green label on issue 1 (due to the Married page), but issue 2 should not have a Green label.  2c

On 7/21/2024 at 1:57 PM, Yorick said:

I can understand the use of the Green label on issue 1 (due to the Married page), but issue 2 should not have a Green label.  2c

Yeah, I found it quite odd. I'm not sure if it's the severity of the defects, or the dollar amount, or what. Was hoping maybe somebody else knew for sure.

Isn't PR 0.5 still a PR 0.5 regardless of the book? The only reason I could see for a book to get a Qualified Green Label PR 0.5 is if it would have received a NG.

Here is the difference between PR 0.5 and Incomplete, a book has to Really, Really Bad to get a qualified PR 0.5.

"PR 0.5 Multiple pages, including the centerfold, may be missing that affect readability."

0.5 POOR (PR):  Back to Top
Sufficiently degraded to the point where there is little or no collector value; easily identified by a complete absence of eye appeal. Brittle almost to the point of turning to dust with a touch, and usually incomplete. Extreme fading may render the cover almost indiscernible. May have extremely severe stains, mildew or heavy cover abrasion to the point that some cover inks are indistinct/absent. Covers may be detached with large chunks missing. Can have extremely ragged edges and extensive creasing. Corners are rounded or virtually absent. Covers may have been defaced with paints, varnishes, glues, oil, indelible markers or dyes, and may have suffered heavy water damage. Can also have extensive amateur repairs such as laminated covers. Extreme spine roll present; can have extremely ragged spines or a complete, book-length split. Staples can be missing or show extreme rust and discoloration. Extensive staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as extreme rust migration. Paper exhibits moderate to severe brittleness (where the comic book literally falls apart when examined). Extreme acidic odor may be present. Extensive interior tears. Multiple pages, including the centerfold, may be missing that affect readability. Coupons may be cut.

INCOMPLETE/UNCOLLECTIBLE:  Back to Top
At the very bottom of the range, comics with the absolute maximum number of defects, heavy degradation, and significant portions of the book missing might not even be considered Poor any longer, but may be termed "incomplete." These books are so ruined as to be rendered unreadable and virtually uncollectible.

I don't know if this helps, but here is at least a COMPLETE BOOK THAT STILL GOT 0.5, I DIDN'T MIND the grade due to the sig and the completeness even in grade, but I don't know. Never could get a consensus, as CGC said it could just be the grade of the book due to total wear. I originally thought only incomplete got 0.5 but evidently that is not true.

Grader Notes:
Whole Book Multiple Bend Breaks Color;
Whole Book Multiple Tear;
Whole Book Wear.

4117991_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

And I own this.

Of course for posterity missing the centerfold incomplete book lol 🤣 😆 

But I've asked all these questions before, but never remember the answers as "I" don't run into it often enough 

IMG_20240723_132935517.jpg

On 7/23/2024 at 2:23 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Isn't PR 0.5 still a PR 0.5 regardless of the book? The only reason I could see for a book to get a Qualified Green Label PR 0.5 is if it would have received a NG.

I agree. I mean, the green "qualified" label means "if it wasn't for X, it would be this grade", so if it's still a 0.5 either way, it really doesn't make sense.

On 7/23/2024 at 11:23 AM, marvelmaniac said:

In the Spiderman 1 example shown, there is a Married Page and that would be the reason to use a qualified label.  A Frankenstein book should receive a purple or green label even if it's a 0.5/NG.

That "incomplete/uncollectible" title is hilarious.  Comics are being sold by the page these days...

On 7/23/2024 at 1:23 PM, marvelmaniac said:

as to be rendered unreadable and virtually uncollectible.

On 7/24/2024 at 1:07 PM, Yorick said:

That "incomplete/uncollectible" title is hilarious.  Comics are being sold by the page these days...

virtual lol 

giphy.gif

Has anyone done a comparison between a Green and Purple label? Is one more desirable or valuable than the other - specifically on a Golden Age mega-key?

Thanks

On 7/29/2024 at 6:16 AM, Ozonetv said:

Has anyone done a comparison between a Green and Purple label? Is one more desirable or valuable than the other - specifically on a Golden Age mega-key?

Thanks

I'd say that Green Labels indicating an unwitnessed signature may be more desirable (now that JSA is verifying signatures).

On 7/29/2024 at 8:16 AM, Ozonetv said:

Thanks

There isn't really a 1 size fits all in this situation.  It really depends on why it received a green label and what is the reason for the purple. 

For example green "missing wraps " vs "sticker on cover" ; purple  "small color touch " vs half of "amateur half of cover replaced, centerfold married, pages lightened. "

it's all about cost, condition, and preferences.