• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are these 2 books worth so much?

26 posts in this topic

I'm going through my boxes of comics and found I have an almost complete lot of Animal Man. I have no idea if they are worth much, so I check ebay and my overstreet book. Overstreet says the 1st issue is worth $10, but the rest are just a $3 to $5 each.

However I found this ebay auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANIMAL-MAN-23-24-1st...1QQcmdZViewItem

...for Animal Man #23 and #24 going for $30+. I don't get it. What am I missing, why are these books so hot? ( I'm posting this question in the MARKETPLACE forum as I am selling my lot of Animal Man... including 23 and 24... if anyone is interested. )

Thanks

JP Sauve

Um, the auction you linked I think describes why they are worth so much...a few times. In great detail.

Methinks this is just your way of trying to sell these books eh? "These books that are worth a bunch of money that I have to sell...why are they worth a bunch of money? O, and they are for sale!" heh.

Actually, 1-27 have some severe crisis on infinite earth follow-ups. Plus this is one of the series that put Grant Morrison on the map. He really spat at the concept of continuity with these books. At that point, you decide. By the way, I own a whole run of them, they sit quietly enscounced in their box. Boarded, bagged and treasured along with my complete run of Sandman(Neil Gaiman's) and Hellblazer.

DC has a hot story line going right now -- infinite crisis. the writers are tying it into several story lines from the last 10-27 years in various books, so about 15 or so issues of various DCs from 10-27 years ago have gotten a bit "hot" lately and some of those characters' first appearances have gotten hot. How long this will last is anyone's guess.

My guess is that perhaps some of these writers snagged a ton of these issues out of quarter bins and aqre making a killing, but that's the cynic in me.

It hasn't seemingly had much of an impact on the crisis on infinite earth series from the 80s, presumably because there are a ton of those out there and practically every collector already has a set or two of them.

Reminds me a bit of the Spiderman clone saga and how that made some 1970s Spideys hot.

Now if only some story line would make mid-1970s issues of the Defenders super hot then maybe I could get somewhere. Like maybe it turns out Valyrkie is really Charles Xavier's secret love child or something.

Now if only some story line would make mid-1970s issues of the Defenders super hot then maybe I could get somewhere. Like maybe it turns out Valyrkie is really Charles Xavier's secret love child or something.

You mean she's not!?!? 893whatthe.gif

sorry.gif

Wizard listed it as their buried treasure or something, so of course all the fanboys are after the issues. Sell em now and in a year buy them back in better grade for a quarter.

Well I'm giving mine a try, see where it gets me. smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6572985941

If anyone is interested in the rest of the Animal Man series, even just single issues, please contact me.

Thanks

JP Sauve

JP,

Here's a quote from your auction:

"Issue 24 is Vf to NM. Issue 23 is an awesome NM+, Would probably grade at 9.2."

FYI, either it's NM+ or it's a 9.2, but it can't be both. NM+ is CGC 9.6 and CGC 9.2 is NM-.

Cleaning up things like that in your auctions will help attract more serious bidders. Also, large scans would really help out as well. There are also other things you can do to "tighten up" your listings, but accurate grading and descriptions is a good place to start.

dude:

you can't just cut and paste the text from someone else's listing. if he sees it he can have ebay take your listing down and anyway, it's just bad form. you need to convey the info without using his exact words, fonts and color schemes!!!!