• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pedigree Labels on File Copies !?!?!
4 4

46 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2022 at 9:13 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I miss the days when I could enjoy the interiors of comics; I used to read every comic that I bought, including high-grade Golden-Age comics. That was back when they were much less expensive. Breaking comics out of slabs is an expensive proposition these days unless you're certain that the book was graded very strictly and would get at least the same grade on a re-submission. That's without mentioning the risk of damaging a comic. Even though I've always tried to be extremely careful, I have caused wear and tear on books before. It doesn't take much—an errant sneeze or slip of the hand will of it.

I no longer buy high grade expensive GA books. I prefer nice presenting mid grade books. I like to look through and read them. I get zero pleasure in owning slabbed books.

I have plenty of high grade books bought when they were obtainable. I have looked through all of them. Mistakes can happen I suppose but I am super careful. You just can’t smell or see those bone white pages of a Church book in a slab…

On 3/29/2022 at 3:17 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Someone told me that if I brighten up my comics by re-coloring the covers with magic markers, then I'll be entitled to those new new purple labels, so i might just do that.

I guess the early bird gets the worm because I ran down to the loonie store as fast as my little feet could take me this morning and was told they were already all out of magic markers and scissors after that big line up in front of the store before they were even opened this morning.  :frustrated:

I guess you and everybody else here must have ran out as fast as you could to line up after seeing that purple encased restored and trimmed copy of Detective Comics 6 sell for a big premium to condition guide value the previous night. lol 

On 3/28/2022 at 5:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

To each his own. I used to have a number of pedigree books that were in those nasty original holders that existed before the new pedigree labels - those dingy old, ugly, decaying holders with the faded old paper they used for those drab labels - but I reholdered all of them. I judgmentally look down upon anyone who has left their books in those disgusting old slabs.

Richard, you look down on everyone, ...and it has nothing to do with the slabs, the labels or your opinion of the owners. 9_9

Full disclosure: I was 6'2" at the time and standing on an egg crate...

Spoiler

IMG_2642_zpsrohgmhr9.thumb.jpg.76821bece2fae01791ee640e83bbed20.jpg

Edited by Cat-Man_America
uncovered pre-pandemic daguerrotype

On 3/27/2022 at 8:03 PM, Sauce Dog said:

CGC earned more money from me with this simple label update - just sent in a raw file copy I had, and while I was at it figured might as well relabel the old pedigrees I had sitting around (as well as submit a few more random stuff). Did it all for the shiny!

G-ddarnit CGC. Why you have to do me dirty like this?

I just sent off several books to get re-slabbed because of this thread, and also finally decided to grade some other File Copies I had in order to combine shipping...and this is what you do to me? 

No label note at all...zero. No File Copy. No Checking Copy. Nothing. I included a note attached to the book that specified it, and it literally says CHECKING COPY right there on the cover. Come on! :sorry:

(and this is to say nothing about the grade and notes. Apparently it has "staple detached bottom of cover" which I certainly didn't send it in as since I personally dry cleaned the entire book and interior so I checked)

20220430_151748.thumb.jpg.bfa2ea56b0ffece52a80f8bbe1a8b448.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

Update: Seems I got some conflicting info from CGC. 

I was provided a shipping label to send back my above Adventure Comics #55 after customer support agreed they missed the pedigree/file copy status. It was in grading/encapsulation for all of May and suddenly I got a notice that it was in my country and being delivered today (account status was only now just updated to 'shipped')...and I also got an email from CGC saying they are returning the book to me unchanged as they do not recognize 'Checking Copies' as File Copies.

This honestly makes zero sense to me. They currently recognize Pay Copies (used after printing to as a record of payment) which are used after the manufacturing process and not sold to the public...likewise Checking Copies are used in the manufacturing process , never sold to the public (so they would only exist filed away at the printers, advertising agency, or publishers office) and are clearly marked as such on the cover and interior pages (to confirm ads and copy were printed correctly - you will see many checkmarks on these books as multiple people had to sign off on each ad, from the printers themselves to the editor and even the paying client who placed the ad)

The Crowley pedigrees are all mostly checking copies too, and are labeled as the pedigree name + File Copy.

Am I insane to think this is a very odd thing for CGC to draw a line in the sand for - completely disregarding one of the more interesting types of books which show the process of publishing during the Golden Age. They are always clearly marked, so there isn't any confusion what is a Checking Copy or isn't.

Is there any one who can recommend how I can go about escalating this with CGC and getting it possibly clarified WHY this is a thing, or perhaps advocating for a change.

mar1_43.webp.9cb7651cb7bfaa42fdb45494553e2bdf.webplf.thumb.jpeg.8d4a4956cf54e9c00a9ae93dbe3f4b0e.jpeg

892360717_ScreenShot2022-06-03at9_38_44PM.thumb.png.c3c95cf8314167344025f08a4d6b829d.png1351685830_ScreenShot2022-06-03at9_38_58PM.thumb.png.cf3d885bf6b00c267f82fcda4655c631.png1863802036_ScreenShot2022-06-03at9_38_50PM.thumb.png.cbf559436e2b932bcd73351acf74eb80.png