• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pedigree Labels on File Copies !?!?!
4 4

47 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2022 at 4:33 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I’m not sure how I feel about this. I never considered or thought of file copies as pedigrees. 

Do you think they are better or worse?  I think I'd take an EC file copy over an equal pedigree copy compiled by Joe Schmoe any day due to the association with the publisher.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/24/2022 at 4:55 PM, sfcityduck said:

Do you think they are better or worse?  I think I'd take an EC file copy over an equal pedigree copy compiled by Joe Schmoe any day due to the association with the publisher.

It's interesting as the Gaines File Copies have always been given Pedigree treatment.  The Harvey and Dell File copies though have not historically.  

I like that they are now getting special treatment; the question is...is it "too special" (shrug)

I don't consider them anywhere near the providence as our beloved Pedigrees (Church/Larson/San Francisco/Allentown/Spokane/etc.etc) nor the Gaines books.

But with that said, I do Love that the File Copies I do have now get to look extra jazzy...:banana:

On 2/24/2022 at 5:55 PM, sfcityduck said:

A good question and a great example with EC! I don’t have a problem with file copies at all and agree it should be notated on the CGC label because of the association with the publisher. Like you, I’d take an EC Copy anytime. I always thought of the difference between file copies and pedigrees as one being set aside by those in the publishing office, or more so overstock over collections assembled by an individual collector who bought each issue new from a newsstand. As I type this, I’m thinking about how this can be discussed and debated. So, the short answer to your question is that I do not think they are worse. hm

On 2/24/2022 at 6:37 PM, bounty_coder said:

It's interesting as the Gaines File Copies have always been given Pedigree treatment.  The Harvey and Dell File copies though have not historically.  

I like that they are now getting special treatment; the question is...is it "too special" (shrug)

I don't consider them anywhere near the providence as our beloved Pedigrees (Church/Larson/San Francisco/Allentown/Spokane/etc.etc) nor the Gaines books.

But with that said, I do Love that the File Copies I do have now get to look extra jazzy...:banana:

I love my high grade Harveys but they're not really 'file' copies, they're leftover/warehouse copies right?  They weren't sitting in an office used as reference or for any other purpose by the publisher.

True file copies, I'm ok with getting special label treatment.  There's worthwhile provenance to convey.  Warehouse copies...eh, I dunno.

As an aside, I don't really like the gold labels.  Am I alone in that?

On 2/25/2022 at 8:21 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Thanks.  I was told this was a file copy, but it didn't come with any verification...

If that CoC 21 was cracked out, I’d never know it was a file copy. It’s a nice book and I believe the 7.5 is largely for the chip at the LLC.

On 2/24/2022 at 7:56 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Question for Harvey experts:  Are there Harvey file copies that would only grade 6.0 or 7.5?

There are many Harvey File books with chippy paper quality that are lower grade.

On 2/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, MrBedrock said:

There are many Harvey File books with chippy paper quality that are lower grade.

Are there any distinguishing marks for these Harvey file copies if found raw. How could one tell?