• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Severe Grade Drop after Signature Series Signing
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2022 at 3:52 PM, mlee17513 said:

I just received the slab back and it has obvious damage that was not there before. There is no way CGC would have graded the original comic 9.6?with these defects. I have reached out to CGC Customer Service, but so far they are hiding behind the signed Waiver argument. Hopefully they will come back with something acceptable. 

3BEF9CA7-62B9-4A7E-95D5-33F0CD1AD1C0.jpeg

F9AB5CC6-2DBD-48C3-90CB-D408FC7BA6B8.jpeg

2421F3C0-E8F9-4AB2-BB1E-173A3E154AC1.jpeg

FD38625E-8EF5-4F52-94FA-667671F29032.jpeg

:fear:

On 2/25/2022 at 11:14 AM, zzutak said:

Gotcha.  Here's some good advice for anyone who happens to read this thread: always image your books prior to packaging them up for shipping, regardless of their destination:preach:

Someone could take an image and then damage the book after, or sending in a same copy of a different book instead.

It just comes down to trust between you and CGC.  Trust that if they damage the book they will let you know right away, however when it comes to signatures all bets are off. 

Book could also be damaged from shipping to CGC as well because you would have to file a claim with the shipper.

So many factors that while I understand the logic really undermines the time used to scan your books besides maybe for a claim from shipping to CGC and even then its a rat race yo get your money.

My advice.   Pack the best you can and hope for the best! 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

As I mentioned previously, I did not take photos of the 9.6 slab before sending it in since this has never happened to me before in 20 years of doing business with CGC.  As of now, they have offered $50 credit for future submissions AND complimentary shipping/pressing/re-grading, but I think that is the total compensation that I will receive from CGC.  The comic is currently back at CGC so we'll see if the grade increases incrementally after pressing.

On 2/25/2022 at 9:10 AM, mlee17513 said:

I will try to post pictures when I receive my comic from CGC.  I can understand there is a risk of a drop from 9.6 to 9.4 possibly 9.2, but 2 full grades is hard to fathom.

Some things like a small tear can make a grade plummet. It could have been damaged when it was taken out, during handling, or when he signed it. Someone very clearly damaged your book. I'm surprised CGC took any responsibility for it. I'm pretty sure they say there is a risk your book can be damaged when it is cracked out. Good luck with the press.

Edited by ComicFill

On 3/5/2022 at 9:47 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

I'm inclined to go with the option that the comic you received is not the comic you sent in. As in, they may have given you someone else's comic. 

It was already signed by McFarlane. I can't imagine two people sent in previously signed books where the signature is so similar in color / style / size / location that OP wouldn't notice it was not his book.