• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Severe Grade Drop after Signature Series Signing
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Has anyone else experienced this?  I resubmitted a slabbed CGC Signature Series 9.6 Batman/Spawn to have Frank Miller's signature added to the existing Todd McFarlane signature.  After Frank's signing, the comic grade dropped all the way to 7.5?  Was the book mishandled during opening?  Was Frank that rough when signing?  Or is CGC really that inconsistent with grades? 

Edited by mlee17513

On 2/25/2022 at 10:31 AM, mlee17513 said:

Was the book mishandled during opening?  Was Frank that rough when signing?  Or is CGC really that inconsistent with grades? 

We'll be in a better position to respond to these questions if you provide (1) before and after scans of the encapsulated comic and (2) before and after grader notes.  No rush ......

I don't have scans of the original slab before resubmitting for the Frank Miller signing.  The new slab is being shipped soon so I was able to see the grade, notes, etc.  There were no Grader Notes in the original CGC SS 9.6 grade.  Here are the Grade Notes after the Frank Miller signing:

light bindery tears to cover
light spine stress lines to cover
moderate creasing to cover

Screenshots of both are attached.

CGC SS 9.6.png

CGC SS 7.5.png

Edited by mlee17513

It’s definitely a risk you run by regrading (with a ton of handling in between).  

Probably relatively rare for such a dramatic grade, but certainly possible.  

of course there is the possibility of mistake and/or inconsistency by Cgc as well.

pictures would be more helpful

Many factors can contribute here. 

Was the book originally graded during a loose grading period?

Were you fortunate enough to get a new grader who thinks a 9.6 needs to be perfect?

Was it damaged taking it out of the slab?

How we’re the books transported to CGC after the signing? Was it in-house?

Was it damaged post signing? During encapsulation? 

I always recommend cracking books out yourself and providing 3-4 backing boards, especially for signings. 

And, as was stated above, always take good scans of your books prior to sending to CGC. 

On 2/25/2022 at 11:28 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Moderate creasing? Check out where that is because usually they notate if these break colour. The fact they did not might suggest some really poor handling, something I would definitely contact about and inquire about some form of compensation. 

Unless there is some overwhelming evidence that CGC made a mistake somewhere that the buyer has access to, the terms almost certainly wouldn't allow for compensation.  They could blame it on the artist, or just bad luck (or defect missed the first time).  If they started just randomly compensating for low grades without evidence, things could get dicey with precedents pretty quickly.  But worth an ask I guess.

Fingers crossed it keeps going but I've only had a drop from 9.6 to 9.2 once while all other sig series (always add pressing) have either kept or increased. That dramatic, I would have to think something happened from cracking the case open to grading again. 

I had a reholdered book that CGC reduced from 9.0 to 8.0 ...it was originally graded a while back in the 2000's ...the case was old and the grade was bleached...it did not look like a 9.0 from the number of spine color breaks , so I expected a reduction as I dont think they graded it properly the first time....but from 9.6 to 7.5?   

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 2/25/2022 at 11:14 AM, zzutak said:

Gotcha.  Here's some good advice for anyone who happens to read this thread: always image your books prior to packaging them up for shipping, regardless of their destination:preach:

I will add....a comic book collector should have all their valuable books imaged...just for insurance purposes

On 2/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, mlee17513 said:

@joeypost, are you allowed to crack slabs on your own that are Signature Series?  I was resubmitting a previously graded comic signed by Todd McFarlane to have Frank Miller sign it.  I am pretty sure it was an in-house signing.

it was in house and you did right not to crack yourself a previously signed book

why does it not maintain the original cert # when resubmitting for an additional sig? 

seems unrealistic that 9.6 to 7.5 worth of wear and tear (especially the kind described by the grader notes) would have happened to a slabbed book from the time you had it until the time you sent it or even during shipping (and if that much damaged happened during shipping CGC should have notified you) so this is troubling since it does suggest possible mishandling at CGC

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

I normally would have them pressed, but this is a thicker than normal cardstock cover. For it to have moderate creasing after being graded 9.6 initially indicates to me that there was serious mishandling when the slab was cracked or during the signing process. 

I just received the slab back and it has obvious damage that was not there before. There is no way CGC would have graded the original comic 9.6?with these defects. I have reached out to CGC Customer Service, but so far they are hiding behind the signed Waiver argument. Hopefully they will come back with something acceptable. 

3BEF9CA7-62B9-4A7E-95D5-33F0CD1AD1C0.jpeg

F9AB5CC6-2DBD-48C3-90CB-D408FC7BA6B8.jpeg

2421F3C0-E8F9-4AB2-BB1E-173A3E154AC1.jpeg

FD38625E-8EF5-4F52-94FA-667671F29032.jpeg

Those defects look like damage a book would get if you were not careful in de-slabbing ..I have de-slabbed about 20 books myself and injured a couple in doing so early on. This is one of my biggest fears with CGC..why I wont send them books to be reholdered..even for second signings.

Edited by Ed Hanes