• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this worth grading?

10 posts in this topic

If these comics have a real shot at getting a 9.8, they are probably worth grading. 

I would take clear front and back cover pictures and post them in the spare a grade area to see what people think. 

If they aren't in the NM+ range, I wouldn't think they would be worth grading, though I haven't done a ton of research on these particular issues. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 2/26/2022 at 8:12 PM, KCOComics said:

If these comics have a real shot at getting a 9.8, they are probably worth grading. 

I would take clear front and back cover pictures and post them in the spare a grade area to see what people think. 

If they aren't in the NM+ range, I wouldn't think they would be worth grading, though I haven't done a ton of research on these particular issues. 

they are pretty much like new, read once and been stored ever since. ill take more pictures, thanks

Yes, if you bought them as a kid like I did, it is absolutely worth getting these graded.  Are they worth alot?  Probably a couple hundred bucks, but that is not why I say "Yes".

If you did acquire them as a child, then they mean something to you.  You bought them, read them once and had the forethought to put them into a plastic sleeve where they lived for decades.  So you put in your allowance and time and now now you are probably in your late 30s early 40s and wanting to know if your childhood memories have a monetary value.  Or you just want to know if they are worth showing off (I am the latter and also on the fence about spending a nice chuck of change to have mine graded).  

So at worst you have something you can display in your man cave/house and at best you might nail that rare 9.9/10.0 and make a small fortune.  Sounds worth the risk to have some childhood memories revisited.  After all, isn't this why we are all here?

Why do you want them slabbed? Is it to sell them? Chances are you won't get your costs backs if you sell so it is not worth it.

Is it because they hold some deep sentimental value to you?  If that is the case, why entomb them in plastic where you'll never read, or smell them again.

Is it because you have too much money and just have to throw some of it away?  

If you want something nice to display them in, a mylar is under $2 and it doesn't take 272 business days to get one.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, Andhre said:

Most of these are indeed comics which can be worth more than slabbing cost if graded high enough.

As for comic values, it's easy. Just go to e-bay and search "comic name and number" and "CGC 9.8". And same thing but also writing 9.6 instead of 9.8. If those prices sound good to you.

If you want to sell them at those prices you find, then slabbing them is the only way. So sure, if you want to go for it, go for it. 

On 2/26/2022 at 11:40 AM, Andhre said:

I've slabbed books that I knew weren't financially worth slabbing just because I wanted them. However I'll assume you're asking for financial reasons.

Wolverine 88 for example goes for $25-$35 for a nice raw.

It'll cost you around $30 to grade it with fees / shipping depending on how many books you're sending in.

A cgc 9.8 goes for $350-$450. A cgc 9.6 goes for $100-$150. A cgc 9.4 goes for $80-$120. A cgc 9.2 goes for $60-$100.

So if you sell that book raw you can expect $25-$35. If you spend $30 to get it graded and it comes back 9.8 you could make a few hundred more than selling it raw. But grade is everything and the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 can basically be a coin flip.

Another thing is it will take a year to get this back from CGC. A year from now if there is some info about a Wolverine / Deadpool fight in an MCU movie then that book could be $750-$1,000 at cgc 9.8