• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabbed books that have only been owned by you, and the stories behind them.
4 4

52 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 8:03 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I purchased this one raw from Metro as a 6.5.

0902201401241.jpg

I purchased this one raw from Metro as a 9.0.

0902201351231.jpg

I purchased this one raw from Richie Muchin as a VF/NM 9.0.

0201171150431.jpg

I purchased this one raw from Worldwide as a VF/VF+.

0201171131211.jpg

Man, that suks Jimbo. We all know about Metro. I’ve had pretty good luck with Ritter. Munchen, I always bought with caution and asked the right questions. After years of fighting it, I think he only sells slabbed books now.

I think Storms and Payette are among the best graders out there. They just rarely have what I’m looking for anymore. 

I rarely buy high grade books anymore but anything expensive over 5.0, I buy slabbed and crack them. Unless I know the dealer or buy in hand. 

On 3/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, Robot Man said:

Man, that sucks, Jimbo. We all know about Metro. I’ve had pretty good luck with Ritter. Muchin, I always bought with caution and asked the right questions. After years of fighting it, I think he only sells slabbed books now.

I think Storms and Payette are among the best graders out there. They just rarely have what I’m looking for anymore. 

I rarely buy high grade books anymore but anything expensive over 5.0, I buy slabbed and crack them. Unless I know the dealer or buy in hand. 

Fortunately these weren't too expensive. The Fantastic Worlds was a little under $200, and the CMA and AITU were around $400 each.

The Fight was $450 back in 2013, and that was a very strong price to pay for a 7.0 back then, but it still wasn't a ton of money. The main defect is a subscription crease that doesn't break color. It isn't noticeable through the Mylar sleeve, so I didn't spot it soon enough to do anything about it. I didn't slab that comic until several years after I had bought it.

Edited by jimbo_7071

The 6.5 was bought raw from Howard Rockman way back in the late 1980s right before the 1st Batman movie came out.  I told Howard I was looking for this particular issue before he was going to the San Diego Comic Con and he picked this book up for me.  I think I paid $300 for it at the time.

batman20.jpg

Edited by batman_fan

Bought from Tom Kelb’s brother back in the 1990s.  Part of a very large GA collection he purchased.  There was an ad for early Batman's in CBG and I was shocked when I saw the sellers name and where he lived.  I called and he was hesitate for me to come by his house since he didn't know me but I told him I knew his brother.  When he called Tom to see if it was worth letting me come by to see the books Tom said "definitely, he is like money in the bank".  He had 4 GA Batman's 2, 5, 6, and 8.  I had enough cask to buy either the 2 and 8 or the 5 and 6.  I opted for the 2 and 8 (still ungraded).  I wish I had gone back and picked up the 5 and 6 later.  He also had some World's Finest. but can't remember the issues.

bm_2_l.jpg

Edited by batman_fan

On 3/8/2022 at 2:32 PM, batman_fan said:

I bought this one from Four Color back in the 90s

det_73_l.jpg

That is a name from the past he had some great books 

On 3/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, Robot Man said:

Man, that suks Jimbo. We all know about Metro. I’ve had pretty good luck with Ritter. Munchen, I always bought with caution and asked the right questions. After years of fighting it, I think he only sells slabbed books now.

Is Storms the guy who owns High Grade Comics, or am I confusing him with someone else?