• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contributors to the slow turn around times at CGC
7 7

167 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 3:59 PM, ExNihilo said:

Depending on how much you're shipping, shipping costs are going to be the same whether you ship to the West coast or the East coast.  I admit, I don't send in many books, maybe upwards of 6 at a time.  It goes in a USPS flat rate box.  That flat rate box is going to be the same price whether I ship it 10 miles or 1000.

Maybe you're a reseller and you're shipping 100 books a month.  In that case I would think your charges are passed on to the customer and it doesn't matter much.  Plus you've probably got an account worked out with the courier for discounted rates.

I was misquoted by "Mosh it Up"  Shipping Costs weren't the only reason why I haven't subbed yet.  The main reason is because of TAT's.  

To Mosh it Up:  If You are going to Quote Someone, - Don't alter what Someone writes.  (See Pic)

Why is it allowed to Quote Someone and then alter it?

The farther a Package has to Travel, - the more destination scans it requires.  Which increases the chance of the Package being dropped or mishandled before it arrives.

No.png

On 4/8/2022 at 10:47 PM, Darkseid of the Moon said:

I was misquoted by "Mosh it Up"

No, you weren't.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:47 PM, Darkseid of the Moon said:

Shipping Costs weren't the only reason why I haven't subbed yet.

But he was focusing on that :facepalm: part.

On 4/9/2022 at 2:44 PM, Lazyboy said:

No, you weren't.

But he was focusing on that :facepalm: part.

Using ellipsis to be intentionally misleading serves the same function as a misquote.  If you are trying to call attention to a particular thing, then the legitimate (ie, non-Stu) way to do it would be to quote the whole material and then bold or italicize the word you want to emphasize. 

On 4/10/2022 at 3:20 AM, Poekaymon said:

Using ellipsis to be intentionally misleading serves the same function as a misquote.  If you are trying to call attention to a particular thing, then the legitimate (ie, non-Stu) way to do it would be to quote the whole material and then bold or italicize the word you want to emphasize. 

In general, this would be the preferred method.

Regarding the case in point, the 2 posts were on the same page and sequential - not hard to see the whole story.

This isn't rocket science. As long as the following equation holds true: 

Final Selling Value of a CGC slabbed book > Grading + shipping + selling costs, then people aren't likely to slow their mass submissions anytime soon, even if the net profit is minimal.

CGC could always raise their rates on modern tier books (where the bulk of the mass submissions come from).  PSA did this to raise their grading cost/piece, which forced collectors to be more judicious in their submissions.

An option I would like to see is for CGC to add another grading tier, from post 1975 to maybe early 1990s, when comics stopped using newsprint.  That would leave the bulk of the modern books (post 2000) in a single grading tier.

I also have to believe it's easier to train new graders to grade books published in the last 20 years vs bronze age comics from the late 1970s.

That said, I'm resigned to settling back and watching the often uneven and mostly glacially-paced TATs continue.