• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contributors to the slow turn around times at CGC
7 7

167 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2022 at 6:41 PM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Start pressing your books

giphy.gif

Lol that's what I want, lol

I'm a cheap arse lol

Still, I know this sub isnt the end of the world, glad it's the last of my $5.

So I won't feel like this thread applies to me ha!

At least I'm honest, if not a bit too self deprecating  :x

On 4/3/2022 at 6:47 PM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

It's your books and your collection :foryou:

Guess I was just a little embarrassed lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/3/2022 at 3:55 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Here are some screenshots of an unboxing I watched on Facebook.  Kid is starting a business to sell comics. 

Did these books need to be slabbed? 
Could they have been sold raw?  

There are TONS of people out there like this kid.  TONS.

1023899032_Badsubmission.thumb.jpg.e739b2ada58401200925e8333f8cb4b2.jpg

I'm pretty sure every book can be sold raw.

Elitism.... in comic books.   This is hilarious.

Continue...

On 4/3/2022 at 6:50 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Duh. But there is no benefit to slabbing many comics. It is just a waste in every possible way.

It's not elitism. But it's too bad there isn't more sense, logic and reason in comic books the world.

Continue...

As for value, there are comics that you can sell for more raw than in a slab. If money is the idea. Plus keeping raw, you can read and well just peruse.

There are, to your point, keepsakes that it's really up to you whether to have slabbed or raw....

Yet I'd be hard pressed if I said every comic I found "cheap" was a "keepsake."

If there are other reasons to send in, more or less, books then give those reasons. :cheers:

I wouldnt call it elitist, but it wouldn't make sense for most in regards to value, and or, keepsake is my point. (thumbsu

I got grades, and 16 out of 20 I returned grades that were "cheaper" for me to submit, than to buy them in the grade they are. Especially with Texas 8.25% tax.

The reason I posted and was embarrassed for myself is some of these aren't grades that I'm all to crazy about, especially given how affordable etc

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/4/2022 at 10:30 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

As for value, there are comics that you can sell for more raw than in a slab. If money is the idea. Plus keeping raw, you can read and well just peruse.

There are, to your point, keepsakes that it's really up to you whether to have slabbed or raw....

If there are other reasons to send in, more or less, books then give those reasons. :cheers:

I wouldnt call it elitist, but it wouldn't make sense for most in regards to value, and or, keepsake is my point. (thumbsu

I got grades, and 16 out of 20 I returned grades that were "cheaper" for me to submit, than to buy them in the grade they are. Especially with Texas 8.25% tax.

The reason I posted and was embarrassed for myself is some of these aren't grades that I'm all to crazy about, especially given how affordable etc

A lot of young collectors do love the slabbed books, irrespective of the grade.  They have a 'copy' of the book encapsulated, and those books books we're ragging on, are often over twice their own age!.   Modern drek from the 80's, and 90's is a big deal from their perspective.    The 60's/70's isn't chased, as it's seen as completely out of the conversation.   And 80's and 90's books, are more tightly connected to todays comic market in the way the books look.   Not much has changed from that period in terms of the look of comic books.   For them, thats a plus.  

There's so much appreciation of low graded books these days.   Having a low grade copy of big book is a big deal, then that low grade stigma is removed for other books with these guys.   

My own perspective is still from the early 2,000's when a 9.4 for a big book was ho-hum.  

On 4/3/2022 at 7:52 PM, Microchip said:
On 4/3/2022 at 7:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Expand  

A lot of young collectors do love the slabbed books, irrespective of the grade.  They have a 'copy' of the book encapsulated, and those books books we're ragging on, are often over twice their own age!.   Modern drek from the 80's, and 90's is a big deal from their perspective.    The 60's/70's isn't chased, as it's seen as completely out of the conversation.   And 80's and 90's books, are more tightly connected to todays comic market in the way the books look.   Not much has changed from that period in terms of the look of comic books.   For them, thats a plus.  

There's so much appreciation of low graded books these days.   Having a low grade copy of big book is a big deal, then that low grade stigma is removed for other books with these guys.   

My own perspective is still from the early 2,000's when a 9.4 for a big book was ho-hum.  

This! This was info I needed. Been a while since the thread was posted in, we needed a reminder!

I didnt know what question to ask in order to coax the info back into a discussion format.

We need the info more fluid, which was attempted, and I appreciate it.

I hope newcomers to the hobby can be more open to advice  :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/3/2022 at 5:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This! This was info I needed. Been a while since the thread was posted in, we needed a reminder!

I didnt know what question to ask in order to coax the info back into a discussion format.

We need the info more fluid, which was attempted, and I appreciate it.

I hope newcomers to the hobby can be more open to advice  :)

Just here trying to pick up some free advice, thanks!

On 4/3/2022 at 9:20 PM, JJ-4 said:

Just here trying to pick up some free advice, thanks!

Lol this place is invaluable in many ways, but I'm not good at asking questions sometimes lol

Therefore, researching threads can be tough, If I dont know what to search or ask :shy:

On 4/3/2022 at 4:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I didn't want it confused with a older book flash 141.

#141 I speak of is first full black flash, for clarifying, otherwise you make me out all kinds of wrong lol

It was more of a " Whatcha Talking About" to the original post saying. "8.9" :roflmao:

On 4/3/2022 at 8:52 PM, Microchip said:

Modern drek from the 80's, and 90's is a big deal from their perspective.    The 60's/70's isn't chased, as it's seen as completely out of the conversation.   And 80's and 90's books, are more tightly connected to todays comic market in the way the books look.   Not much has changed from that period in terms of the look of comic books.   For them, thats a plus.  

This mostly sounds correct to me, though I take issue with the "drek" label.  I started collecting in the 1980s when I was barely old enough to read.  So I have a personal connection to stuff from the 80s and 90s.  60s/70s is completely out of the conversation for me, that's true, because it means nothing to me.  But  I'd guess that people who collect the silvers, and are really into, say, Kirby, read those as a kid or when they got into the hobby as well, so they similarly have a personal connection to that stuff.  To me most silver age stuff is "drek" in that, IMO, the art and dialog of the 1960s books are vastly inferior to the stuff I enjoy of the 80s (Miller, Moore, Claremont...).     

On 4/3/2022 at 8:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

Duh. But there is no benefit to slabbing many comics. It is just a waste in every possible way.

In your opinion.

Why do you care what others do with their books? Do you want to join CGC and be a grading cop?  Lol... 

How dare someone want a book you don't like protected with a case! 

On 4/3/2022 at 8:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

It's not elitism.

That's exactly what it is. 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 4/4/2022 at 11:28 AM, Sigur Ros said:

In your opinion.

Why do you care what others do with their books? Do you want to join CGC and be a grading crop?  Lol... 

How dare someone want a book you don't like protected with a case!

No, it's objectively wasteful. If you don't like the truth, that's too bad, but it's not going to change for you.

On 4/4/2022 at 3:11 PM, Nightmare Fuel said:

Elitist lol Yeah, we should all hold hands, sing Kumbaya, and agree that no comic is drek and every comic is a wonder for the imagination :peace:

Thanks for the input, ye of seven posts. Welcome to the ignore list.

On 4/4/2022 at 3:11 PM, Nightmare Fuel said:

every comic is a wonder for the imagination 

I definitely have wondered what imagination came up with some of this carp, but then I realized that I really do not want to know..

20220330_153506.thumb.jpg.476751748f031e9fc1f92c9062e43f83.jpg