• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I feel like I’m adjusting to the new prices
2 2

31 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2022 at 7:50 PM, Number 6 said:

I’m wondering when CGC will announce the Pandora Pedigree. 

I have actually been saving all of my rubles for CGC’s definitive label series, thy God Almighty’s D*** Collection. 

On 3/4/2022 at 8:54 PM, wisbyron said:

I think a few opinions on this thread, while all valid, are simplifying things a bit. Remember- this hobby is subjective. Some collectors seriously long for a specific era and so forth. If I could luck into a Giant-Size X-Men #1, would I take it? Of course I would- but I don't ever think about it because it's not what interests me primarily. So is it all "rich" people taking over the hobby? What constitutes rich? It's all different depending on where you're looking. One guy can spend a grand a week on comics- great. Another guy can only spend a hundred a week on comics, except to *him* he doesn't see the "only". It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Buy what your budget allows, what you can afford, etc. There's almost a fanaticism at times brought on by the subconscious due to so much spec talk about grails and s**t. I get it; I would prefer complete runs too. But if I can't get that one book because it's so inflated, I'll find something else I like. Comics are cool that way.

As much as I enjoy pointing out that recently printed books (usually variants) selling for $500+ are ridiculous because nothing important happens on the pages inside, the reality is that the longer new books sell for $500+, the more actual keys (from the past 50 years) selling for $500 will look like bargains.

Remember when it was almost scandalous that Harbinger #1 was selling for $100 in 1992?  Comics were $1.25 and anything new getting "hot" sold for about $8 to $10.  It was insane that a recent book was $100.  Now, it's almost insane when something in the "spec talk" is under $100.  People would say, "why would anyone pay $100 for Harbinger #1 when they could have X, Y, or Z key issues from Marvel or DC for the same price"?

The same thing is happening now.  People are actually paying $25,000+ for books printed in 2011.  Suddenly, $20,000 for an actual key from the 1970s looks like a bargain, even if it used to sell for $2,000.