• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[Closed Thx!] Cool odds and ends for serious and quirky collectors
5 5

18 posts in this topic

All the usual rules apply.  Shipping included.  I desire payment by check, so keep that in mind if you are trying to make a time sensitive purchase (e.g. no last minute shoppers for birthdays!).  

Went through some boxes and found some stuff that deserves a good home outside of my storage.  No "big" or trendy books, just stuff for collectors who really dig this hobby, including its history and fringes.

First "take" wins.  Then PM me for payment and shipping arrangements.  

I will be rolling stuff out slowly over the weekend, so check back as items will spool out as I'm doing this on short breaks from other things.

Returns allowed (at your return shipping cost unless I'm reasonably convinced the fault is mine) as I am collector hoping to spread happiness, not a dealer concerned about future biz.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/4/2022 at 5:20 PM, sfcityduck said:

How often do you see this?  

Our Navy, Mid-April 1945 (during WWII).  The article the "Gyp Joint" is about stores on ships.  And, lo and behold, the cover features a pricelessly cool pic of a sailor reading an awesome Shadow Comics skull cover with Young Allies, Startling Comics, Air Ace, etc. in the background.  I'd call this a "Good" because this particular magazine is prone to some color flaking (does not go through the page) on the covers (true for every copy I've seen or own).  But how often do you see a cool WWII magazine photo cover of a sailor or soldier reading a comic, especially in glorious full color!?!  

Rare, cool, and perfect for framing on the wall of your comic room or office!  Seriously, someone need to hang this great bit of history up as it's a conversation piece.

$75 (shipping inclusive) or best offer.

Too cool to pass up!  :takeit:

On 3/4/2022 at 6:53 PM, sfcityduck said:

Peanuts collectors, and it sure seems like there are more and more Peanuts cover chasers, are largely unaware of this special cover Schulz did to honor Yellow Kid (the only color cover in the run) for Inks: Cartoon and Comic Art Studies.  Inks is not a fanzine but an official publication of the Ohio State University cartoon library (Inks was funded by a generous donation of Charles and Jeannie Schulz):

662516548_Scan_20220304(4).thumb.jpg.815e140b4270236826a6268ef3cdc306.jpg

Calvin & Hobbes collectors can't chase many C&H covers on comic related publications because there aren't that many, but of the ones that exist this may be the grail they most want to locate (but usually can't):

328425746_Scan_20220304(3).thumb.jpg.b0c0af30c5c8bfc706fc1694501bd4ff.jpg

And Bone collectors, who don't mind B&W at all, probably have no idea this cover exists:

1039998750_Scan_20220304(5).thumb.jpg.b8942ebb074856715b75e363f10ef3f5.jpg

They are part of the complete run from v. 1 no. 1 to v. 4 no. 3 (12 total issues) of Inks: Cartoon and Comic Art Studies I'm offering here today (plus a bonus exhibit catalogue). 

944551834_IMG_0272(2).thumb.jpg.a0835af84fab79a7014ad2290c84eee6.jpg

There is a grand total of one copy of an issue of Inks on the CGC Census, not surprisingly the v.1 no. 1 Calvin & Hobbes cover.  

Does anyone here have a run of these?  These are loaded with articles on comic and cartoon history, academic books reviews, etc.  Best for someone who really likes to dig deep into comic history and knows you'll never see a set like this again (or for a dealer who wants to be out in front of the still growing tsunami of nostalgia C&H and Peanuts which is going to make rare covers like these increasingly desirable as people realize they exist).

I'm calling condition on average "fine."  As you can see in photos, there is some minor yellow spotting on some issues. No rips or folds.  Grade would quickly go up if you hired someone, like the paper conservator I use for woodblock prints, to eliminate the spots - a surprisingly inexpensive undertaking for something like this which is printed with standard inks in b&w.

$300 (inclusive of postage) or I will consider offers.

I’ll take it. 

Yet another item that deserves a different collector.  A Golden Age Classics Illustrated rack sign that would look great in a comic room.  Could also be married to a signless rack (which are not that hard to find).  Paint is bright and vibrant.  No cleaning has been attempted.  Back of rack has a light rust, almost dust like, that would clean off and I think poses no threat to the structural integrity of the rack sign:

626111266_IMG_0285(2).thumb.jpg.23b2083ddd231d4659ae12e64035fa28.jpg 

515115311_IMG_0286(2).jpg.35b0e87c47669ee816452a3d0cc35069.jpg

A steal for the right collector at $150 (again offers considered).